help with first ar purchase

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by 99monguse, Dec 5, 2012.

1. 99monguse

99monguse New Member

I want to buy an AR before a weapons ban goes into effect but I really don't know much about rifles and I fear I may not have enough time to learn. I would like to get one in the $700-$1000 range, I know that's a big range but if you were buying your first AR15 and looking to spend about $850ish plus an optic or decent flip sights, what would you get? I don't want a 22, although someone told me I should get a 22 model and then just buy a different lower and have two rifles basically??

I am a pistol guy but with certain things happening in our government lately and in the very near future a rifle like an AR15 is a good idea with lots of ammo.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd say read the AR-15 Primer sticky first then start forming in your mind the configuration you want. There are so many ways to roll an AR you have to give thought to what YOU want and what is important to you.

Considering your budget, look at PSA's website for configurations. They offer a fine rifle at a great cost.

3. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

I would suggest getting a Colt lower that way if/when (more likely when) the ban hits you can put any upper you want on whether you want a Shrike, 5.7, .22, .300 blackout, .50 beowulf, .458 socom, etc... You have the lower that will fit anything so you don't have to deal with the ban restrictions if you ever wanted anything else. May I also suggest getting lots of pmags, a betamag, and if you want to do the .22 get some m16 to .22 conversion magazines. Also I would suggest an ak.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Actually it's the other way around, one lower and two uppers. I'd forget the .22lr for now, you can buy a .22lr upper later if you want. Or you can buy a dedicated .22lr AR style rifle for about what the .22lr upper costs (and then have two rifles).

5. FullautoUSA

So the MP15-22 is a dedicated .22lr AR, so it would not accept the m16 to .22 conversion magazines correct?

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you are unsure and want to take your time to research everything before buying.

Run out and buy a couple stripped lower recievers. Get the aluminum forged type. You can usually find them for $100 or less.

Then take your time figuring out what you need.

BTW I started out as a pistol guy, after shooting a carbine for the first time, I totally changed my mind. There's a good reason why handguns are considered secondaries.

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

IIRC the mp15-22 will not accept a standard 5.56 nato/.223 remington upper.

It is a dedicated 22lr.

8. FullautoUSA

Why is that is it smaller or just different?

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

10. FullautoUSA

do you know what's better then a Colt?

Multiple Colt's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yes.

Google .22 long rifle, and look at a picture of that round. Its really teeny, kinda cute.

Then google .223 remington and or 5.56x45 nato.

Let us know what you find......

12. shadow2096

shadow2096 New Member

Try dpms del-ton and maybe bushmaster. They are all good and are relatively inexpensive depending on where you look.

13. BlackRifle

BlackRifle New Member

My bushmaster M4 Flat top cost me 880$ total. Just enough to mount a cheap scope for instant gratification. Then overtime, I changed what I didn't like and kept the rest.

14. FullautoUSA

No is the receiver smaller? I know the round is smaller.

15. magnumman

magnumman New Member

The 22 lr is not a impingement system, it is a blowback, like a pistol. They do however make a blowback bolt carrier group that can be dropped into a 223 upper to shoot 22 lr (with a 22 magazine obviously). I have never used one but I am intrigued by the idea.

16. FullautoUSA

Oh I didn't know I have no experience with semi-automatic .22s

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Someone please correctly if I'm wrong, but the lower receiver also is different on the M&P15-22, enough so that it will not accept a standard ar15 upper and cannot be used for that application (without major modifications (cutting drilling cnc'ing))

18. kamakazi

kamakazi New Member

Well... Some of the internals are polymer in the M&P15-22, like the hammer, as well as the receiver it's self.

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

This is correct if you want a .223 buy a .223 , if you want it to be able to shoot .22lr buy the bolt and mag kit and make it happen .

You will not be able to convert any of the semi auto .22lr Black rifle types to .223 its just not going to happen , barrel isnt of right caliber, no gas tube or place for one, upper is not made for BCG unit to fit , no buffer or spring , the lower parts I am told are not mil spec and most do not fit it .

20. FullautoUSA

So would the trigger, hammer or selector be compatible between .223 and dedicated .22lr