Colt LE6940 Review
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Colt LE6940 Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Colt LE6940 Review

More than 160 years ago
An obscure young seaman, Calcutta bound, carved from a block of wood a model of what was destined to become the world's most famous revolver. His name was Samuel Colt, and from the spark of his inventive genius came the modern firearms of today.

Colt continues this tradition of genius creativity and craftsmanship in their Law Enforcement model 6940 AR-15.

This rifle was my very first AR-15. Once I got the approval from my better half, I began researching everything I could get my hands on about the different options you can get with an AR15, and it did not take long to decide upon the Colt LE6940.

One of the most important things I considered when looking for a Rifle is dependability and wow factor. Both come standard with any Colt model, and even more so with the LE6940.

As soon as I had it in my hands, I hit the floor running looking for accessories to spruce it up. But after a while, I came to the conclusion that it doesn’t need sprucing, this Rifle is an absolute masterpiece. A perfect combination of form & function, I would not dare ruin its charm by ninja’ing it out with silly looking parts.

…Okay, so I made one adjustment, because my friend bought me a new ejection port cover for Christmas for it

Let It Rain!

Which brings me to a complaint I had about this Rifle: The price you pay when dealing with something Proprietary. Don’t get me wrong, I love this rifle and wouldn’t trade it for anything, but trying to install this new port cover was a nightmare. There were absolutely no tutorials online with how to switch this particular port cover out – they all covered the universal manner that most are used to. But, with some persistence, I finally figured it out, and it actually turned out to be a lot easier than I anticipated. (you can message me if you need help)

I also ran into a few hitches along the way with off-brand magazines. Simply put, this rifle hates them. Jam after Jam after Jam while using certain magazines, most notably the 42 rounders from ProMag. This is better said as being a fault with the magazine, and not a fault of the Rifle, but it should be noted ahead of time, before buying one, that you can’t grab just any magazine and jam it in there and expect it to work. I’ve heard P-mags will work just fine in them, but unfortunately I have not yet ordered any to test them out.

In this picture, the magazine on the left is a Colt standard issued 30 round mag, the one on the right is the 42 rounder from Promag. You can see the differences in the rear end opening, and see how it would affect a new round being cycled. But I can personally verify that as long as you stick with G.I. issued or Colt standard magazines, you’ll be fine.

The promags were causing the rifle not to completely grab onto the next round, and instead it was getting shoved into place with a great deal of force, causing the type of damage you see here to the rounds

A couple of things I wish they had done differently is reducing the squeeze pressure on the trigger…something less than 7 pounds would have lent its self better for more precise shooting. The buttstock also wobbled a little more than I would have liked, but it’s easily replaceable with something aftermarket.

It comes with its own cleaning kit, which was nice, and two 20-round magazines. The strap that comes with it is pretty much trash, however, if you’re after a strap, just buy a good one somewhere else.

For my accuracy test, I fired off a total of 250 rounds. A little less than half came from Hornady and the rest were Remington. From 20 to 150 yards (The farthest I tested) I was spot on even with Iron Sights. From standing, to kneeling, and finally in prone, the feel of the rifle was very comfortable, almost an extension of my own body. It had very firm and powerful ejections and not a single malfunction what so ever (unless I used a Promag)

When I was researching information on my first AR15, some advice I kept getting was to buy a cheaper rifle so that I had more money for accessories later. While it is true that I could have purchased a Rock River LE1040 + an EO tech holographic for the same price that I paid for this rifle by its self, I still would not go back and re-do things.

Why? Because I have a Colt. Just being able to say that, to me, is completely worth it.

Manufacturer: Colt Defense LLC Colt.com
Production Status: Retired by Colt in 2011
Caliber: 5.56 NATO / .223 Remington
Barrel: 16.1” Chrome Lined
Rifling: 1:7” right hand twist, Six Groove
Trigger: Single Stage 7lb 4oz pull
Weight: 7lbs 1oz
Overall Length: 35¼” with stock extended

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 03-05-2012 at 09:07 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Nice job with getting a colt. I have a colt ar-15 alos, and love it. Never had problems with mags, and I use colt, brownells and p-mags. Never had an issue that I can recall. I put some railed hanguards on the rifle, but other than that it is stock and just fine being so!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 03-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #3

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great review PPC, and great rifle!

Yep, I've got the same Colt and would not trade it for any other AR-15 I have shot to date.

I'm like you. Tried scopes, red dots and halo sights and always gone back to iron.

I have not had any mag issues. Besides the Colt mags that came with the gun I purchased 12 C Products 30 rounders w/orange followers.

I have made a couple of changes that IMHO improved the gun.

The flash hider had to go. I replaced it with a Smith Enterprise Vortex unit. I considered the Battle Comp V2 but got a better deal on the Smith.

I hesitated installing the MAGPUL AFG2 but the first time I shot it with the fore grip I validated my purchase.

I swapped out the Colt grip with a Hogue and found no improvement. When I installed a right hand ERGO the rifle became mine!

I also installed a MAGPUL B.A.D. LEVER. If you're a right hand AR-15 shooter you need to get one of these bad boys!

When the scope was installed I swapped the charging latch with a Badger Ordnance unit. I've left it on.

I installed a space plug.

I love this stick and have put about 2K of a very mixed ammo down range with not one issue!

Even with Wolf, Golden Bear and TulAmmo steal case w/ZERO issues. But then it's a !

Its a

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #4

wow, thats some awesome insight, Canebrake. I love that grip - its one im thinking about getting myself. Just a few questions for you

what do you think of the MaTech rear sight that comes with it? I've thought about upgrading, but I dont have a lot of experience in it. I'm struggling to decide whether to stay with Iron or get an optic...chances are good im keeping ol' Iron Sights though, but just exploring possibilities.

What was it about the stock flash hider you didn't like? I'm not against trying something new, just curious why you made the change?

canebrake Likes This 
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
what do you think of the MaTech rear sight that comes with it? I've thought about upgrading, but I dont have a lot of experience in it. I'm struggling to decide whether to stay with Iron or get an optic...chances are good im keeping ol' Iron Sights though, but just exploring possibilities.
They work for me, no need to change them. YMMV, and if you are used to another set go for it.

Quote:
What was it about the stock flash hider you didn't like? I'm not against trying something new, just curious why you made the change?
Flash hiding efficacy, or lack there-of. The Vortex flat works.

The Battle Comp V2 interest was for muzzle control. It also flat works. (No pun intended.) But my second thought was it would only lead me to expend more ammo. I'm more of a placement guy and not so much suppressive fire.

Porkchop, great choice you made in your AR selection!

cane

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #6

Likes Given: 1

Good post - Question: Among the AR's I have used in the Military, in this category they have been the 16, 15 and M4 6920 and 6940 all with 5.56 rounds. Never had a need to use the 223. With the advent of 5.56 ammo getting harder to find in the civilian arena the 223 round is more readily available, and less money. What is the interchangeability of the 223 round with the M4. When I say that I would include rifle and mags. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #7

If i'm understanding you correctly, SFC, you're asking about .223 & 5.56 compatibility.

To my knowledge, if a rifle is made for 5.56, it can shoot .223 as well, but not necessarily the other way around (rifle manual will specify)

This particular rifle, LE6940, can fire both rounds. I typically use .223 however, as I have no need for the harder to find, more expensive 5.56, but when selecting a rifle, I absolutely wanted one that could do either/or

Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6359 Times on 3553 Posts
Likes Given: 5933

PPC, love the 6940. Unfortunately my 68 YO eyes really need the ACOG TA31H that I installed on it.

That and a sling. No "tacti-kewl" stuff on my baby!

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

People Like This 
Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #9

I have had a few people message me and ask how I got the dust cover off, so I made a little tutorial =)

Step number one make sure you meticulously clean your rifle before taking pictures of it - seriously - I clean my rifle very thoroughly, but after taking these pictures...I'm embarrassed to show them lol

Okay, but seriously

Step #1

Take notice of how the spring on your current dust cover is positioned. There'll be two ends to the spring, and they'll fold upon themselves

I learned the hard way, and I don't think I put my spring back in its original position, so I won't show you mine (though my dust cover still operates 100% fully functional and looks great, I think I just created an unneeded scratch on the ejection port (the spring tip will leave a scratch no matter what you do, since it's metal rubbing on metal, so that's why I suggest making note of where the spring tip is located now, and put it back the same way to avoid my dumb mistake)

Step #2
Two parts - first, remove your upper from lower, and take out your bolt carrier assembly.

Next, get a 1/16" punch. I got a 6 piece set from Stanley for less than $10.00.

Use the punch to remove the rear pin on the dust cover. *DO NOT try to remove the front pin* That was the one I started with, and I don't know how it's supposed to come out.

It went in a little ways and refused to go further, now it's stuck there, as there is no way I can find to reverse it and get it to come back out. It's not affected the function of the rifle or dust cover in any way shape or form, it's just one of those little things that bugs me since it's my rifle and I made a mistake!

This is the pin you want to remove

So now, just set your punch on top of the pin and gently tap it. Don't Hulk Smash it or you'll scratch the piss out of your rifle like a friend of mine (still making fun of him to this day)

which also reminds me - make sure to get brass tipped punch set. Not steel.

Be careful when the pin falls, it's VERY easy to lose, so do it on a table or something large and empty so when it falls, you can easily see it (and dont do this on carpet, lol)

Step #3

Now you can simply raise up the dust cover rod, slide on your new dust cover plate (remember to put the spring back on in the correct manner)

Final Step

Reinsert the pin with your fingers and push softly until it wont' go any further, then use your punch from early and gently tap it back into place.

Now test it out, it should WANT to stay open until you snap it shut. If not, then you put your spring on the wrong way and need to remove the pin and try again.

I'm not the greatest tutorial writer in the world, so if I left something out, or wasn't clear on something, please let me know and I'll specify

Enjoy

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 01-14-2013 at 01:47 PM.
canebrake Likes This 
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCDaley View Post
Good post - Question: Among the AR's I have used in the Military, in this category they have been the 16, 15 and M4 6920 and 6940 all with 5.56 rounds. Never had a need to use the 223. With the advent of 5.56 ammo getting harder to find in the civilian arena the 223 round is more readily available, and less money. What is the interchangeability of the 223 round with the M4. When I say that I would include rifle and mags. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
If i'm understanding you correctly, SFC, you're asking about .223 & 5.56 compatibility.

To my knowledge, if a rifle is made for 5.56, it can shoot .223 as well, but not necessarily the other way around (rifle manual will specify)

This particular rifle, LE6940, can fire both rounds. I typically use .223 however, as I have no need for the harder to find, more expensive 5.56, but when selecting a rifle, I absolutely wanted one that could do either/or
Both barrels will fire both cartridges..........however, it's not recommended to use the 5.56 NATO ammo in a gun with the barrel chambered/stamped .223 REM to avoid any potential over-pressure issues.

The simple fix is to only buy/build the AR-15 with 5.56 NATO chambered/stamped barrels. One less thing to worry about.

Here's the difference of the two chamberings;

Chambers cut to .223 Rem specs have a shorter leade area as well as slightly shorter headspace dimension compared to the 5.56 NATO chamber. This contributes to the pressure issues.

- orangello
PrimePorkchop Likes This