Zeroing your AR-15 for home defense.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Wrecked, Apr 10, 2012.

1. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I personally prefer hold under.

2. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

Thanks for posting that. Some good info I always knew about but this puts it in a good perspective.

3. Wrecked

Wrecked New Member

No prob, I really liked his perspective too.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good article though I still will zero for 50/220 yards. Doesn't make a significant difference at 10 yards.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I prefer the 50 yard zero. Center hold for face shooting will still hit the t zone. And its much more suitable for intermediate distance shooting.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah I like being within +/- 2.5" from 0-230 or so yards. Hard to do better.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I would suggest anyone with an AR Rifle to zero the rifle either at 50 or 100 yards. Then with a standard AR with Iron Sights you would only be hitting around 2.5 inches low at 25 yards and closer to a target. Believe me, if you shoot an adversary 2.5 inches lower than your point of aim at 25 yards they have a serious problem. The reason this occurs is the Line of Sight is around 2.5 inches higher than the line of the Bore at the closer range on the rifle with standard iron sights. So at 25 yards and in, if you want to hit dead center in the bull, just hold 2.5 inches low! If using optics the line of sight and the line of bore depends upon the height of the reticle of optics for example over the actual bore. It could be less or more depending upon the mount and the optics. With the 50 yard zero as Quentin stated the round shoots so flat that if zeroed at 50 or 100 you can make a precise accurate shot at 100 and on out to 230. The biggest error that some make is zeroing an AR at 25 yards. If you do zero at 25 yards try to shoot a precise head shot at 100 or more! So back to the point my suggestion is zero at 50 or 100 yards and you are good to go! :)

8. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

As always solid info sniper thanks!

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The 50 yard zero is basically "battle sighting" it.

I can see no good reason for not sighting at 50.

10. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I know how ill be sighting my rds with new mount this time around thanks fellas

11. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

That was a good read.