Zebra

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by 97cobra, Jul 7, 2012.

1. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I recently discovered there were zebra available in Texas. Is that a guided hunt or can one go down there and hunt one without paying for a guided hunt?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would bet it's a guided hunt.

3. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Texas is Big but has little to no Public Lands as other western states have. All hunting of exotic animals are on pay to shoot private lands. You can call it guided, or simply shoot that one.:D

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Why would you want to shoot a horse ?

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Because it has stripes.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Attached Files:

7. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I was jus wondering if it would be a pay to hunt deal or public.

8. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

The only thing you might be able to shoot for free is hogs, they are a major league problem that has moved across the lower Southern states and over running some areas.

Yet, guided can be rather loosely translated...60 Minutes did a good job representing both sides of the debate - more exotic species in TX than anywhere in the US. Should be availed on line.

Don't imagine Zebra w be good eating but lions seem to like it. :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

Putting it that way does make sense that it would most likely be a guided pay to hunt deal.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Still don`t know why you would want to shoot a horse, are you french ?

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Sacré bleu Fait accompli

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

+1. First time in 32 years i heard about this.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Durango is right, there is very little public land in Texas to hunt on. any exotic game hunting is done on private game ranches, some are guided and some are self guided. the prices can be very expensive and most who do it are willing to spend the money to get an exotic game animal.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

There are no wild running loose exotics you can just run around hunting in texas. They are all privately owned pay to hunt type things.

Most folks get the wrong idea about such things these arent critters that are tied up in a small pen. Most are on ranches of 1000-10000 or more acres in size running loose but fenced in a very very very big area that your not just going to walk up to.

Horse is better than beef. Its about the only thing the french get right when it comes to cooking. Zebra is probably pretty good.

As for hunting a zebra... i would rather ride one than shoot it. I would think it is just as some have, shooting a horse or cow and calling it hunting. I do have a big problem with hunting critters just to kill one.

15. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I don't think I'd ever pay to something like that, but with that said I would like to try it and see how it tastes.

What do you mean hunting just to kill one? Do you mean people going and shooting an animal just to say they shot one? Or shooting an animal as a trophy and having it mounted?

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

they have exotic game ranches that will charge you a fee to hunt for and exotic game animal of your choice and then you hunt it and then the harvest the horns or mount for you to have it done at a taxidermist, then they take the meat and give it to needy families, ophanages, homeless shelters, battered and abused womens shelters and other places like this. the meat isn't wasted, it does go to some needy causes. some hunters like the hunt and then want to donate the meat to worthy causes.

17. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

That's pretty nice of the hunters. I guess if you have the money it is a nice cause, but you'd have to have the money. Did a little research and it seems the average price of a zebra is $4,000.

Not for me. Way to much money for a hunt.

18. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

Thats good news , I am coming back