Zastava M92:One of the most "controversial" AK family members

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by MCalig, Mar 30, 2014.

1. MCalig

MCalig New Member

The Zastava M92 is one of the derivatives of the popular M70 rifle and maybe one of the most "controversial" weapons ever made by Zastava Arms.
    The weapon is considered by the most as a carbine, by many as a submachinegun and it is even imported as pistol(To match US laws).
    It was designed by Crvena Zastava(Now Zastava Arms) as a submachinegun and it is used by many professionals in this role even nowadays.After the war in the Balkans, the rifle was widely exported in several countries, where its initial designation changed to "carbine"(Mainly because of the caliber it is chambered in).Nowadays it is still manufactured and considered by Zastava Arms as a submachinegun.

Weapon Description(With comments):
    Weight:3.57 kg (7.87 lb)-CARBINE
    Length:
    795 mm (31.30 in) stock extractedSUBMACHINEGUN/CARBINE
    550 mm (21.65 in) stock foldedSUBMACHINEGUN
    Barrel length:254 mm (10.0 in)SUBMACHINEGUN
    Cartridge:7.62×39mmCARBINE
    Rate of fire:620 rounds per minuteSUBMACHINEGUN/CARBINE
    Muzzle velocity:678 m/s (2,224 ft/s)CARBINE
    Effective firing range:200 mSUBMACHINEGUN
    Feed system:30 round box magazine or 75 round drum magazineSUBMACHINEGUN/CARBINE
    Sights:Adjustable iron sights, optional mount required for optical sightsSUBMACHINEGUN/CARBINE
    Other:Distance between front and rear sights?SUBMACHINEGUN

SUBMACHINEGUN LIKE CHARACTERISTICS:8(4 true smg+4 smg compatible)
    CARBINE LIKE CHARACTERISTICS:7(3 true carbine+4 carbine compatible)
    CONCLUSION:11 characteristics taken in consideration, 4 of them are tipically attributed to SMGs, 3 to carbines and the remaining 4 can be attributed to both.

Actually, the M92 is a hybrid weapon, mainly a submachinegun.
    36,36 % -SUBMACHINEGUN
    27,27 % - CARBINE
    36,36 % - SUBMACHINEGUN/CARBINE

It can be considered a 72% true SMG or a 63% true carbine.Since the higher % goes to the submachinegun, I'll stick to the "submachinegun" definition.

What is your point of view?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My point of view ? One bad *** CQB / SHTF gun
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MCalig

MCalig New Member

No doubt about it!:D

4. DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS New Member

My friend here shooting my M-92. It speaks for itself.

[​IMG]

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I would classify it as short barreled rifle. When I think sub-machine gun I think pistol calibers.

6. MCalig

MCalig New Member

That's why it is so controversial: The 7.62x39 is not a common caliber for a SMG!But guess what?Even Zastava arms defines it as a SMG-as many other professionals do.Anyway, thanks for taking part to the discussion!

7. DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Mine is an SBR because it is semi-auto only, and a select fire original should properly be classified as a short barreled assault rifle. Maybe a new classification such as compact assault rifle perhaps?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  8. MCalig

MCalig New Member

Hm...who knows?I only know that there are several classification/definitions of this weapon.I personally cannot say it is a true SMG(because of the m43 cartridge), I cannot say it is a true Carbine(There are too many SMG-like characteristic), I cannot call it "Assault rifle"(Too short effective range, etc),..
    ...So yes, maybe a new classification/definition is necessary to define this weapon...

9. DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

What feature would you call an SMG feature? The folding stock? Many SMG's have no folding stock. I would say that the caliber is the key issue in order to classify the firearm for consistency, though you could involve the barrel length also, hence it should be classified as a assault carbine. Having the manufacturer use the term submachinegun for this firearm is just not technically correct.

10. MCalig

MCalig New Member

Techbnically incorrect?Only beacuse of the caliber.What features does it shares with a SMG?Bering me an mp5 (the true smg)and I'll show you.

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

'm sorry but the recoil into the hand has to be a bit much after a very short while

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Beautiful, whatever you call it.

I would love to see a bear use one for an enema (full-auto model, obviously).

13. DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Calling the M-92 a SMG is incorrect because it is not using a pistol caliber. It uses an intermediate rifle cartridge. Showing me your MP-5... how will that help this argument?

14. MCalig

MCalig New Member

Thanks for the question.I'll say so:You're a 100% right when you talk about the caliber.The m43 is definitely not a pistol caliber(even if, actually, there are some pistols chambered in that caliber).Why did I mention the mp5?Let me explain: the folded lenght, the sights, the effective range, the way you use it on the battlefield, etc... actually I'm talking about the both mp5 and m92.

15. DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

I do not believe the shortness of the weapon nor the folding stock feature are essential features of a SMG in the historical sense of the term, though many do have these features. The venerable MP-18, Thompson SMG, Bergmann MP-35, Lanchester, MP-41, and PPSH-42 are all classic SMG's and were used in the same manner as your MP-5. Most modern SMG's like the M-3 "grease gun", Madsen M-50, Smith&Wesson 76, and the venerable MP-40 all a folding stock, which could lead someone to think they were specific to SMG's, but that's not really the case.

The SMG is largely obsolete due to lack of firepower of the cartridges used having been replaced by the assault rifle, except for the role for police in urban areas where too much power and compactness is desirable.

I understand somel MP-5's can occasionally jam. Is yours reliable when dirty? I've had a tree twig fall into the ejection port and jam my MP-40 rather embarrassingly.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  16. MCalig

MCalig New Member

We can say the same thing about the caliber.It all about the performance of the weapon and how it is used on the field.People that say that the M92 is actually a carbine base their opinion on the fact that it is chambered in 7,62x39, which is a rifle caliber(intermediate round, usually not used in SMGs).
    But...guess what?There are rifle that are chambered in pistol calibers and viceversa.
    Would you call "rifle" the weapon below(It's a derivative of the SMLE rifle)?
    [​IMG]

Actually, the weapon below is a PISTOL.Why is it a pistol if the weapon is chambered in a rifle cartridge?Because it performs and was designed as a PISTOL.

So is the M92 a SMG or a Carbine?It is mainly a SMG that have several carbine-like features(Including the caliber).

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The difference is only in translation. In many Slavic languages the same word automat (or similar) means SMG or SBR, with the caliber stated separately.

18. MCalig

MCalig New Member

Nice theory, maybe it is correct(I speak several slavic languages and I can say that what you just said is not far from the truth).There is only one more thing I would like to say:The M92 is in fact a short weapon, not a long one(as the carbine and the rifle- mainly because of the lenght of its barrel).So we have a short firearm that was designed as SMG, that is used as SMG and has many SMG features but a rifle caliber.As I said...its definition is controversial, but it is a good "candidate" to be a SMG.

19. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

In the US an SMG is by definition handgun caliber. (As SSGN said). A Krink of any origin is either an SBR or a pistol.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  20. MCalig

MCalig New Member

I accept it, even if it is partially "wrong"(Please, note the "").I'm used to name the weapons by basing the name/definition on the weapon implementation/usage.I cannot say that you're wrong(because you're not) but concerning this weapon...I have to disagree with you.