Zastava m70 30 06 info.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by kyboy, Jan 27, 2014.

1. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Im seriously considering buying one of these. I used to have a savage 30 06 with a nice scope and all that and it was a tack driver. But with the synthetic stock and fancy scope it just felt too fancy and contemporary for my taste, I like a more rugged and simple feel with my hunting firearms. So....I switched to a mosin nagant and have taken a lot of deer with it and never shot more than once. I only use iron sights now and I love this gun and will always have my Mosin, but...

This mauser like zastava has caught my eye. It says it comes with a walnut stock, open sights and mauser like action. ..all the ruggedness that I admire in a hunting weapon. So , do you fellas know anything abt these? I found them brand new for 450 dollars. Just tell me anything that you know about these rifles. Much appreciated!

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Zastava makes a great rifle. They are a true Mauser action. The Rifle is intended as a 100 yard iron sight game getter. If you want light recoil, check out the 6.5x55, or if you want something that will kill everything that walks in North America, a 9.3x62.
    .30-06 is fine, but very vanilla. Scope it w/ a 2-7x32mm scope and you have a 300 yard thumper in .30-06. With the rifling it has it will love 165..180gr.

The pig back stock design actually make everything line up effortlessly. You just don't find the Quality they offer for the price often.

3. kyboy

kyboy New Member

So I was thinking of getting it in 308 aauming they offer it. What do you think ? Have you shot one ? It looks like a real pretty rifle. I did read where the wood is really dry and you need to put a coat of something on it.

4. jpattersonnh

.308 would be a VG choice. I have not shot that model, but have a Zastava rifle and handgun. Both are built to last and very accurate. I always give my rifles wood a few coats of BLO. Toss the rags though. I give them a coat every year after. The rifle I have in 8x57 does have the Pig back, or Hump back rear stock. Shoulders perfectly. It is offered in 14 or so calibers including .308.

5. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Yea that pig back stock is awesome! Thanks for the info

6. jpattersonnh

Good luck, good choice.

7. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Not to hijack the thread but how are the trigger/safeties pn them? I have been looking at on in 25-06 but have been told the trigger/safety can be a bit rough but the rifles are of good quality esp at the price point.

8. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Good question. It has to be better than my mosin nagants safety...in which I do not even use because its so damn loud. I usually walk around with the bolt hanging back.

9. dyslexic_llama

dyslexic_llama New Member

The extractors on pre-2012 Zastava bolt actions are notorious for breaking quickly, especially on the M85 mini-Mauser's.

They offer an upgraded one from the factory if you have a pre-2012 serial number, but you will have to contact them for it.

10. kyboy

kyboy New Member

I was going to have my local dealer order it strait from zastava or the company that imports them. He did that with my saiga from, at the time Izhmash and my mossberg pump that he didnt have. Do you think that would remedy that since it wont be used ?

11. jpattersonnh

Extractor or ejector? The Claw extractor fully supports the case head just as Mausers have for over a hundred thirty years. It is a big piece of steel. The Ejector is also a true '98. I'm not seeing either failing on the M70.

12. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Im not being funny or smart but I typed in zastava 30 06 m70 exctractor issues on google and got no hits at all. You would think if it was a prevalent problem it would have a few hits on google...who knows.

13. dyslexic_llama

Remington imported Zastava actions for use in the 799 series, a lot of people experienced issues.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rifles/86919-remington-799-7-62x39-broken-extractor-repaired.html

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441656

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149106

The problem has persisted through into their self marked Zastava rifle line, plaguing primarily the M85 series.

Maybe not so much on the large clawed ones, but I would be cautious anyway when buying anything from Zastava that is not semi-automatic.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  14. kyboy

kyboy New Member

The 30 06 that I want is an m70 sporter any difference ?

15. jpattersonnh

They had issues w/ steel cased 7.62x39 ammo. Not the same model. Why do the trolls come out every time. One of those links was from 3 years ago and had 1 response. I'll put mine to the test. It is now 5 degrees outside. You stand 400 yards away. I'll shoot 2 rounds to each side at knee level. The next at your pumpkin. kyboy, get what you want. Enough BS as usual here for me.

16. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Im getting one for sure. I love eastern European guns. Its kinda like these remington boys....they had safeties that would fail and killed many people so they could save 2 cents per gun but many people still live remingtons. Im not not gonna buy one because of an extractor issue. As much as i hate to say it but I put eastern European firearms on a higher level than most american fire arms as far as reliability. Blast away. I asked for info and he is giving it though and I respect his info. But a" faulty extractor " is not going ro stop me from buying it. As I said I cant really find anything on it.

17. dyslexic_llama

Personal threats and all, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  18. dyslexic_llama

Kyboy, wasn't trying to derail your thread, just saying Zastava has had a few runs with their commercial bolt actions that weren't quite the best quality in hindsight.

19. kyboy

kyboy New Member

I know buddy. I appreciate your info...I asked for it. I wanted honest info and you gave it. Thanks man

20. kyboy

kyboy New Member

The one thing I did find a lot abt them was that they have bad triggers or something. And dont worry, I told some guy i liked aks over ars and he told me the same thing. He told me he would put him and I in the woods, him with and ar and me with my saiga and he'd put two in my head before lunch time. I dont understand some of that talk on here. Its like some if these guys were beat up when younger and now they're older and have found guns or something. Kinda scary really.

Its.no different than cars. Some.people like American and some like Japanese or German. There are flaws in all of them..no reason to threaten eachother over it. I bet most of these guys wouldnt talk like that face to face.