Yugoslavian SKS's?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by FIDDLEHEADSTEW, Apr 21, 2012.

1. FIDDLEHEADSTEW

FIDDLEHEADSTEW New Member

Has anyone bought one of these rifles? How's the design as compared to the Chinese Norinco? Who are some of the better online sellers to check out? I read that the Yugoslavians didn't start to chrome line the barrels of these rifles until sometime after 1970, I might be wrong but I'd like to get a chrome lined barreled rifle.

2. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

If you definitely want the chrome lined barrel, get the Norinco. You wont be disappointed. My personal opinion about the Yugo is that I don't see much difference between it and the Norinco. Not to mention you have the grenade launcher mounted on the end of your barrel and you can never use it.

I would check local gun shows before buying online. You may find a better price. I see them locally in my area for around $300. I hear they are much less everywhere else.

3. tCan

tCan Active Member

You can use the grenade launcher. You can either do the paperwork on each grenade, or you can buy smoke nades for it. Hard stuff to find I would imagine though.

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I have a Yugo SKS I picked up about 10 years ago and several thousand rounds later it's still going strong. Of course it only cost me about 89 bucks back then.

5. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Yugo SKS

I've had no problem with my Yugo without the chrome lined barrel but I clean it after shooting every time. The Yugo has the milled trigger group and threaded barrel same as the Russians. The Norinco's have two versions, one with the threaded barrel and milled trigger group and the other has a pinned barrel and a stamped trigger group. They all shoot well.

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The Yugo with the grenade launcher has a decided advantage, IMO.

Very simply, the Russian is beautifully balanced, but the Yugo

has a heavy front end which helps act as a counterweight

to recoil; the result is you get back on target quicker.

Compare the two at a firing range, and see for yourself.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

It is my understanding that many of the Yugos are actual "surplus" military rifles that have seen some military use. Many of the Norincos were basically just Chinese-made rifles sold to the US market for hunting & plinking.

8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Does the grenade launcher really make that much of a weight difference? Ive handled a few of them but never fired them. Of course ive never handled them side by side for comparison. Also, how much difference does the muzzle break change compared between the slotted and ported versions?

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

It made a difference for me. One of the few times a counter-weight

actually works against recoil, IMHO. Try it and see, maybe your

range experience will be different than mine.

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Eventually I will give it a try. I'd like to collect a SKS of all variants.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Ehhh, I really like my Russian SKSs, I may get a Yugo someday.

The compactness and balance of the Russian makes it a

pleasure to carry and shoot.

12. Nihilist88

Nihilist88 New Member

I love my Yugo, I had problems but because it was actually issued during and used in the war days of the fall out. I do own the booklet to prove this. The only problem I ever had was a follower spring in the mag go bad. I now have a 30-round mag on it and it does just fine. I think they are great and reliable. Accurate as hell also. It hits center mass on my plinking targets every time. But, I am also about to purchase an Albanian SKS from the gun shop not far from me. I am hoping to talk them down to $400.00 USD.

13. FIDDLEHEADSTEW

Where can I find pictures of the differences between sks variants and get some of the history of the different variants too

14. FIDDLEHEADSTEW

And how many or which arsenals were the M59/66's made. I've already found a chart that lists year made, barrel type, sight type and a few other things.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Your standard search engine should come up with

quite a bit. Wiki has some good info.

Also research Simonov, the gun's creator.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

17. FIDDLEHEADSTEW

How many of you have retrofitted your SKS' with tapco stocks and other products they make and does tapco make a quality product

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've yet to find a bad retrofit stock. IME, the composite or

synthetics are sturdy, clean, and light. They soak up abuse

and shed weather and most solvents easily.

One trick I use, is to wrap the old stock carefully,

box it up in the new stock box, and set it aside.

If you decide to sell the gun, it's easy to

replace the old stock, and, generally,

the gun has more value with the original.

19. FIDDLEHEADSTEW

Thank you gentlemen for all your replies and keep them coming.

20. FIDDLEHEADSTEW

When I find a surplus rifle I like and buy and if it has a particularly nice stock on it how do I clean it. I remember when I got my Norinco SKS I used mineral spirits on the metal and just rubbed all the cosmoline off with a rag.