Yugo SKS 59/66 w/ Launcher

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by CJx, Oct 5, 2013.

1. CJx

CJx New Member

Doing research on SKS rifles, and I've found that Yugo SKSes are quite common to find in what looks like very good condition, however, most of them are 59/66 with the grenade launcher fitting.

I have read that the launcher fitting can leak, causing detrimental malfunction of the rifle. How pertinent is this issue, is it common, and is it easy or a hard thing to solve/fix? How would you fix the leak issue? Would the risk of the GL attachment leaking outweigh buying a very well maintained Yugo SKS? Thanks for any replies.

2. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I've had my M59/66A1 since May and she's in decent shape. I shot about 60 rounds through her on Memorial Day with no problems. But I have to say, I've never heard of the grenade launcher malfunctioning. I've heard of the cut off switch on the gas tube leaking. That can be a problem if yours is corroded. Mine was, I couldn't budge it. After a week in some Aero Kroil and some slight help with some pliers I turned it and pulled it out. I then scrubbed some burrs off and oiled it, still was REALLY hard to turn. Then I took my Dremel with the sandpaper wheel attachment and sanded off ever so slightly the black, pitted corroded layer. Turns like a charm now with no gas leak.

3. CJx

CJx New Member

Anybody know about these Yugos?

4. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I have owned one for a couple of years now. I have put a couple a hundred rounds through her without incident. Just make sure that all the components move as they are supposed to and you should be fine. ;)

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It's the cut off switch for the launcher that can cause an issue. As others have already said though make sure everything moves like it should and is free of unnecessary debris and they are god to go.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

7. CJx

CJx New Member

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Not usually approved for tournament play, but measure an SKS against a golf bag sometimes. All you would need is a fuzzy cover for the barrel.

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Man that is pretty cool.
    I've had to launch my golf balls the old fashioned way by shooting at
    them.:p
    Man a golf ball will really fly you hit them jut under center with a 9mm at 50 yds...heh

10. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

That is AWESOME!! Might improve my golf game too.

To the OP: never had any issue with mine. Fun to shoot and attracts attention at the range. People just want to see how it works.

11. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

Murray's Gunsmithing sells a stainless replacement as well as a free floating firing pin.

12. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Gonna have to try shooting the golf balls! Got plenty sitting in a plastic tote on my patio!