Firearms Talk banner

Yugo M-48 stock refinish

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JTJ 
#1 ·
Hello guys-

Bought an M-48 a while back. The metal is real nice and all numbers match, the stock, not so much. Makes me wonder if it was arsenal rebuilt and put back in the old stock like a Mosin. Any way I normally don't refinish my old military gunstocks unless they are really bad. Well this one is definitely really bad. I've stripped and refinished with Tung Oil Finish and didn't like the results. Just not that nice red that my other M-48's are. So I stripped the stock and tried Danish Oil in the natural tint and it still came out wrong. Kind of a yellow brown. Not happy. Now I know the stock is Red Elm, when I strip the finish and rinse the stock it is that nice red I was talking about. If you own an M-48 or 48A you know what I'm talking about. So I've stripped it one last time and what I want to know is-what the hell kind of finish can I put on that will bring out that nice red? Don't want a shellac or varnish, too glossy, want the refinished rifle to look like it hasn't been refinished. Or close to it. Any help would be most appreciated, thanks-

#2 ·
Have you tried boiled linseed oil? Old US Army units used to have a parade stock and a grunt stock for their 03's. The parade stock finish was linseed oil. Pretty common old finish. Try it on a small area first.

#4 ·
Yes I've tried linseed oil but it gives the red elm the brown-yellow color I didn't want for this stock. I like linseed oil for walnut or other types of wood stocks, excellent wood preservative and water proofing. But this stock needs something clear like a varnish or lacquer I'm thinking if it is going to keep the red color, not sure. I prefer an oil finish, believe it's better for the wood, kind of nourishes and penetrates a little deeper. Hmmmm. I wonder what kind of clear oil finish might be out there that would be good for a stock?

Hey thanks for the reply guys.

#7 ·
Interesting suggestion. Might just give that a whack.
Try it on a small area and let it sit for a few days after you have buffed it out. I have heard of it getting a rancid smell sometimes. Might be connected to the type of wood it is applied to.
I always liked Tung oil but I dont know how it would affect your color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.