youth shotguns

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by cut em, Apr 22, 2009.

1. cut em

cut em New Member

dollar for dollar, what is the best youth shotgun? looking for a 20 gauge.

2. rugermike

rugermike New Member

Hard to beat a youth Rem. 870 ;)

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

The H&R- Nef. guns are real cheap and do everything you need done, BUT, they have alot of recoil for younger shooters. For a gun that will last a life time of heavy use I agree with Rugermike, the 870 rem. The 500 Mossy is a close second. For alittle more and 1100 Rem. will help with the recoil.

4. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Didnt say what it was for, so I'm going with a single shot. I have a Rossi 20ga single shot. I think they have a youth model too, but mine is full size. It was only 87 bucks. Its a blast to shoot, but leaves bruises on my shoulder.

S.S.

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I loved my Winchester 120.

6. dylanpowell

dylanpowell New Member

my first upgrade from a single shot 20gauge was a 870 remmington. i used it for dove hunting. it took alot of abuse but was always reliable. but the remming 1100 is just as good and its prettier i think. i know have a remmington over under 20 gauge and its wonderfull as well.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'll second Matt on the Winny. The model 120 is a plain jane 1200. Fast action. Solid lock up. Lighter than the Remmy and youth models were made. The only problem is they are no longer making them. Good clean used ones are out there. If you get one and don't like it I will buy it from you. I have been thinking about one myself.

8. tookalisten

tookalisten New Member

My neighbor just bought his son a 20 gauge Remington 870. I think he and I got a lot more enjoyment shooting skeet with it than his son did; I have always shot 12 gauges; but am now looking for a 20 for myself :D

9. orangello

orangello New Member

My first shotty was an H&R single shot .410; i loved it & it is still at Dad's house if i need it (about 30 years later).

If you need a pump, my ole crusty mossberg 500 in 12 guage has never failed me; they sell them in 20 guage as well. They are pretty inexpensive & have lots of tacticool options to please the kiddie.

(I've noticed my father uses the .410 on tree rats in the yard and such, now that he is getting older.)

10. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

That's a shame. I had thousands of rounds through mine without a single hiccup. Ne'er a misfeed or extractor failure.

11. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Browning make a nice youth pump with a bottom eject. We use one at the range in 20 ga. for hunter safety.

12. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member