Youth Big Game Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by kboggs, Aug 21, 2011.

1. kboggs

kboggs New Member

Looking for recommendations for my 12 year old sons first Elk hunt. He is only about 97 lbs and 4ft 9. I was thinking a 243, but I know there are probably some better options.

2. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I really like the 243 and 22-250, although I am not an advocate of one for elk I guess. I don't know much about your son's shooting skills, but could he shoot a 270 you think? You could then get a little bigger slug in there and might be advantagous. There are a lot of people on here that have a lot more knowledge of other not so familiar calibers that I am curious to hear myself.

3. Wambli

Wambli Member

My sugestion would be a Remington Youth 700 in 7mm-08. Good enough for anything in North America and milder shooting than other options. Plus when he grows up you can switch out the stock for a full sized nice aftermarket like a Bell & Carlson and he'll have a nice rifle he can be proud off and you can sell the youth stock on Gunbroker or keep it for the grandkids someday.

4. remi514

remi514 New Member

Just get the kid a heavy .308 the kick will be very mild. Also if it is to much he can shoot remington recoil managed rounds. One other soulution is a limbsaver butt pad works wonders, even just the slip on ones.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If he gets a chance to shoot at an elk, the recoil of a 308 will not be felt.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I would seriously look at the 308 or 270 for his elk hunt. And as they advised he could get a full size stock later as he gets older. Both are excellent hunting calibers. No doubt an elk can be killed with a 243 if all the circumstances including distance and shot placement is perfect. But actually a little light in my opinion for elk. Due to minimum recoil I would suggest the above calibers. And in addition I would only let him shoot a few rounds at a time when zeroing or practicing prior to the hunt. Obviously when he squeezes the trigger on the elk he will never feel or for that matter probably hardly hear anything.

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I'll second the 7mm-08,it's a great caliber and has plenty of energy to down an elk,with a small recoil factor.Plus you can even get it in youth models so the stock will fit your sons frame better.

Browning,Savage,and Remington all have youth models in 7mm-08.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

marlin has the youth sized rifles in the XS7 series. they carry it in 243, 308, and 7mm-08. these are very nice rifles and not very expensive. they shoot very nice and are very accurate. plus as others have said, you could switch the stock on any of these later as your son gets older, and the youth models of marlins even have a 22" barrel.

9. zimm

zimm New Member

I too have a 12 year-old who will be hunting this year. I'm thinking I will try and find him a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55, cut down the stock, add a recoil pad, and mount a low magnification scope.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

This is a 243 setup i got for the wife- I'd go 308 or 30'06 or similiar for elk tho-
    Mossberg Youth model ( set up for either youth or adult) Simple 3x9x40 Tasco optics - Only about $300 invested & its holding up great so far :)

[​IMG]

11. Axxe55

i agree a 243 might be a bit on the smaller side for an elk size animal. you could take one down with it, but i think that the chances for wounding the animal increase, especially with a 12 year old boy. i would go with at least the 7mm-08 or the 308 in a youth sized rifle. with either one you could get loads a little on the heavier side and increase your chances of a clean kill.

12. freefall

freefall New Member

Another vote for a .308. That's what I got for my 12 yr old daughter.

13. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I dont know where you will be hunting, but I am very shocked no one has brought up the 30/30! It has everything you need for a good all around rifle that he could use for the rest of his life for anything...deer elk or black bear. Its not going to have the accuracy at longer ranges, but anything within 150 yards or so will fall if he does his part. Plus there are hundreds of 30/30 rifles out there on used gun racks that can be had really cheap...just add bullets and a good scope and an elk tag!

If you want to go the bolt action route, I would say a 7mm-08 is the way to go. You can even get one in a Handy Rifle really cheap and they are very good shooters.

14. Axxe55

i agree if you wanted to go the lever action type rifle. you could use some of the hornady leverevollution ammo for a 30-30 and with a decent scope even get a little more accurate range with it. this could be another possibilty to look into.