Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by aussierogue, Jan 25, 2008.

1. aussierogue

aussierogue New Member

This is off BATFE's website how do you read it as I'm in this boat and have been told a lot of different things and I'd like your thoughts on it

B13) May aliens legally in the United States buy firearms?[Back]

An alien legally in the U.S. may acquire firearms if he has a State of residence. An alien has a State of residence only if he is residing in that State and has resided in a State continuously for at least 90 days prior to the purchase. An alien acquiring firearms from a licensee is required to prove both his identity, by presenting a government-issued photo identification, and his residency with substantiating documentation showing that he has resided in the State continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser’s place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses.

2. bkt

bkt New Member

It sounds fine. Provided you have a government-issued photo ID (do you?) and you can prove you've been living in one state for more than three months, you should be able to buy a firearm, and it's probably limited to a long gun (shotgun or rifle).

I expect you'd need to investigate the laws in your state with regard to handguns and any additional restrictions they might have.

Call your county clerk's office (or equivalent) or stop down for a visit with the BATFE stuff printed out to show them. Present your ID and proof of residence stuff and ask them if there are any additional requirements you need to meet.

The trick might be actually buying a firearm. Some folks might not want to sell you anything out of ignorance of the law and fear of ending up in prison if they sell to the wrong person (that's how it works in New York State, anyway).

3. Righteous

Righteous New Member

I sell firearms to them all the time in the store , if they have a Alabama drivers license and they can show they been in the state 90 consecutive days and have there INS card ....Yes they may Buy one, the 90 day proof must be land tied utility bill etc. or something from there address. They must do the 4473 and we make copys of everything else to go in the files with it.

4. Boris

Boris New Member

When I was residing for a short while in Texas I had at that time a B1/B2 which limited me to a 6 month stay, afterwhich I must return to Europe, but allowed to return to continue to conduct business. My business which was and still is canine law enforcement related was UK based corporate company,and I working for it operated the training centre in the US. I had a lawyer working for visa at the time (a waste of time more like). We decided reluctantly to move back to Europe......

I was informed when needing to purchase a cheap (S&W Pump) shotgun for demo and training that I need a full residency card to buy the gun. I had home there, for which I paid taxes, the training centre, for which I paid taxes and employed a US national. But could get a gun, I was a little disappointed to say the least but the law is the law I guess and being a foreign national Ican't moan about someone else's law.....

5. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

I have no problem with that and our founders of this great nation wouldn't have any problems either,the key phrase is An alien legally in the U.S ;)

6. moviezombie

moviezombie New Member

no problem with it.

movie zombie

7. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Remember during the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles in 1992?

Remember the LAPD refusing to enter the riot area, leaving the law abiding citizens to fend for themselves?

Remember the Korean store owners on their roofs, with rifles and pistols defending their property?

For some reason, the Korean businesses were not bothered.

I see no problem with legal aliens having the means to defend themselves.

[​IMG]

8. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

The Second Amendment is in place to protect citizens and their rights, it does not apply to those who are not citizens of the US. If foreign nationals wish to purchase and posses arms in the US, they can become citizens.

9. MarkoPo

MarkoPo New Member

Sounds like a well written law. If they follow the rules, there should be no problems. If we move to Canada or Mexico we have to follow their rules. Fair is fair.

10. bkt

bkt New Member

Actually, the Constitution is applied to everyone who is living on American soil, whether they are citizens or not. That's why we keep our Taliban and al Qaeda friends friends at Gitmo in Cuba, not in some Federal prison here.

Foreign nationals who have been given permission to live here need protection under the law.

11. billt

billt New Member

Bingo. Chances are you'll have issues because most gun shop owners are afraid of the law, or else ignorant of it. Here is an example. I live in Arizona. Here, if you possess a valid Concealed Weapons Permit, (which I do), you do not have to go thru the Brady background check. The background check to get a CCW is far more through. I bought a Weatherby from Wal-Mart and the clerk didn't believe me. He ran the background check and it came up "delayed". I told him to call again, and explain that I had a valid CCW. He wouldn't. It took 3 trips home and back, and most of the day, to get it cleared up. It ended with the lady I talked to calling Wal-Mart and telling them to stop calling in unnecessary background checks, as they are under staffed as it is! The manager met me at the front door and profusely apologized! I'm guessing someone got their a$$ in the wringer real good over the whole thing. Most likely the clerk at the gun counter. He didn't look too happy when I came back the last time. After I completed all the paperwork, (with the store manager standing there the whole time), I told the guy phones are capable of being spoken into, and encouraged him to try it the next time he shows his ignorance of the firearms laws. Bill T.

12. Boris

Boris New Member

No they can't become citizens of the United States, because it's not that easy........

Legal foreign nationals are protected quite rightly by the constitution, all of it, if you deceide that only parts of the consitution only relevant to certain sections of the community then you make the case that equally the 2nd. amendment can be made to apply to only particular individuals or groups. The Consitution of the United States protects all, and if you disagree then you support those who wish to bring it down.......

13. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States of America states that the Constitution provides it's liberties to"We the people of the United States" and "ourselves and our posterity," not foreign nationals and whoever the hell decides that they're protected by it.

I'm not picking and choosing amendments here, they have no rights afforded to them by the entire document.

14. Boris

Boris New Member

Your reading between the lines...a very dangerous thing to do particularly with the constitution.

I have been interviewed at length by the ins one one particular occasion and the consitution came to my aid, and I am indebted to the Founding Fathers. But it's a free country and you are intitled to your opinion. But I would be a little more circumspect if I where you.......your nation is built on 'foreign' immigration.:)