Your thoughts on this ammo? .223

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by DickTheNickhead, Jul 6, 2013.

1. DickTheNickhead

DickTheNickhead New Member

55 grain
    American eagle

I'm building my first AR as we speak.
    16" mid length has system 1:7 twist.
    I'm new to all of this. I was wondering if this ammo is a rip off or a good deal..

100 rounds for $59
    ???

Attached Files:

2. DickTheNickhead

I'm just buying it for range practice and getting acquainted with my new firearm...
    I will of course try out other grains and other ammo manufacturers but wanted to hear if any of you have shot this...

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

4. armysharpshooter

armysharpshooter New Member

If you shop around you can find .223/5.56 at bulk prices. The 55 grain federal stuff is same/same military ball ammo.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I view American eagle from a standpoint of the gun. If your gun can run it without issue you're in good shape. Lol

6. DickTheNickhead

Yeah, American eagle is brass.

I also picked up some of this PMC.
    Brass. 55gr.
    Decent?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Honestly IMO (again) It's not bad.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Dude , stop talking and go shoot :D . Sorry I'm on a roll today

9. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

I've seen American Eagle for $49 per 100 just recently. I shoot it on occasion and it does just fine. It's hard to be picky about what brand you use in this day and age, but I bought my 6920 and my RRA to shoot whatever I put in them without any backtalk.

10. DickTheNickhead

Me?
    Well, I wish.
    Except I'm still in the building process. I have EVERYTHING I need, EXCEPT my lower. I pick it up on Friday. I'll complete the build that morning then head to the range in the afternoon!

11. Bevo

Bevo New Member

DTN, I can't wait for your first range report. I don't have the talent to build my own AR, though I'd love to. Give'em hell and shoot'em up!

12. MisterMcCool

What? I built one. It was not too difficult. It's like putting a puzzle together.

Attached Files:

13. DickTheNickhead

Dude, I can't even fuggin put Legos together.
    All you need to do is buy all the parts and watch a YouTube video. It's cake.
    Well I haven't done it yet, but ask everyone. It's pretty simple...well the lower is at least.
    If you want to build the upper than that's a whole other can of worms...
    But hey, it's much more fun to buy a complete upper and build a lower and get exactly what you want, rather than pay more for someone else to put one together for you.
    Some may argue it's not much cheaper to build, but I've found that it is...especially if you're going to change out any parts on a complete that you buy.
    Anyway, I was intimidated at first but I've realized it's extremely simple!
    Go try it!

I'll keep everyone posted with pics when I get that lower in. Wish me luck!

14. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

That looks pretty light, what does it weigh in at?

15. MisterMcCool

Just over 4.5 pounds. :)

16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

PMC Bronze and American Eagle mare not bad.
    They are both .223 so are both softer loaded than the equivalent 5.56mm offering that bot manufacturers offer (at a slightly higher pirce)

PMC used to be by standard training Ammo and despite being a bit low powered to compared ot 5.56mm I never had a problem with it.

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

PMC/AE are fine. I have 1000++ of each. They're right at the minimum weight your rifle will perform well with. Not in the wheelhouse (60-80gr), but good enough outperform most shooters for the first 250yds or so.

Most of my ARs are 1:7. And I shoot quite a bit of both of these rounds with generally positive results...but of course I'm remedial shooter with limited skills, so...

18. Bevo

Bevo New Member

Some of you gents have more mechanical skills than I. Some day maybe......until then I will enjoy my factory built AR15.