Your Thoughts on my new Savage Model 10 .243

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BorisTheBulletDodger, Sep 5, 2010.

1. BorisTheBulletDodger

BorisTheBulletDodger New Member

I picked up this rifle from a friend that needed some cash. It's a Savage Model 10 .243, it's the combo package (cheap scope), has accutrigger. I wish it was a .308 but it's not. Any thoughts on this round or rifle is appreciated as I don't know much about either. What range is this rifle/round capable of? The biggest game I hunt would be deer. Or how it fits in my collection of others:
    shtf gun - Norinco SKS
    gtfoomh gun - Taurus PT92 AFS (9mm)
    c&c gun - kel-tec P11 (9mm)

I'd really like to figure out if it's a walmart one or not, It only says "Model 10" I have read some posts that their walmart one reads savage "model 10fxp"

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

the 243 is a great varmint round and for smaller eastern Deer it is a good cartridge. I would not use it on the big Mulies out west but if you limit your shots to 200 yards or less It is a soft recoiling round that will kill a deer just as fast as a yote or ground hog. The 6mm is very popular and has bullets ranging in weight from 55gr to 115gr. Now the 115gr bullet is a match bullet and not for hunting it also needs I believe a 9 twist to stabilize it. For deer I would use Premium bullets like the Nosler Partition or Swift Scirocco 2. It is a light round and in many states it is the minimum caliber that can legally be used for big game hunting.

3. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

lots of guys bought the 243 for there wives as hunting rifles the main reason was that they could use them in the off season as there coyote rifles. i do not own one buy if i did would shoot the heck out of it, get a good scope and never look back

4. SDiver40

SDiver40 New Member

I have the Model: 10 XP Predator Hunter and I love it. It shoots the 75 gr. bullets great and the 85 gr. bullets almost as good. But the heavier I go from there the more it starts to drift. But still more than able to kill a deer at 200 yrds. with out any problems.