Your thoughts on a .454

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by phideaux, Aug 5, 2013.

1. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

What would you guys pay for this revolver?

Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull/.45 LC

I found one at a Pawn Shop locally, that is identical to the one in this pic, except it has a BSA 2X stainless scope.

It is very nice condition, with 7.5 "barrel, and gray stainless finish.Bore
    is great , everything is tight.

what would be a fair offer? They got the price jacked up at 7 bills.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=370059

Jim

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'd probably try to low ball them at $500 and be happy if I could go OTD at $600. Are you going to reload for those calibers? The Super Redhawks are over $800 retail and the scope/rings are probably another $150.

3. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

I do not reload for .454 Casull at the time, but i do reload .45 acp. .45lc, and 45-70 govt, so I will eventually reload them.

I just want a >454 Revolver, but dont want to pay too much.;):)

Thanks,
    I kinda was thinking around $500 to $550 OTD.

Jim

4. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

My father in law had a Magnum Research .460 BFR and I loved shooting it. It would shoot .460, .454, and .45LC. Fun gun to shoot.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Most .45 Colt dies can load the Casull cartridge w/o difficulty. I would talk trash about the BSA scope (not that they are really all that bad). I would tell them the glass will not stand up to the .454 recoil so it will need to be replaced. I would go to the shy side of 600. Maybe as high as 575

6. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Yeah, bsa scopes are not able to stand up to heavy recoil. They tend to have a wandering zero, at least in my experience.

7. readygirl

readygirl New Member

700.00 Is a fair price for that gun w/ the rings and scope, if it is as you described. If you came in the shop looking to sell or trade. We would give you $500, put it in the case for $700, and let somebody talk us down to $650, and some range time...

8. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

He's not really looking for a fair price, he wants a low price. Just like all the rest of us. :D

9. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

A gun store owner once told me he buy used guns @ .50 on the dollar based on what you paid. If NIB, and he believes you( i.e. that it is NIB) he would go up to .60. The PM on new guns was approx 20%.

If they will buy it. Many are simply going on consignment and they get 20% commission. Collectors value and specialized pieces may command more but pawn shops usually have the worst prices.

Scottsdale AZ has a famous gunshop. I brought in a Ruger MK I, the mgr low balled me. I complained and started to leave, he said, "If you walk out of the store n come back, the price will be $40 less. Walk out again, and it will be $80 less. I told him I wouldn't sell to him on principle. He laughed. The shop was very well stocked.

10. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I think most people realize we cant give them "what its worth", because we cant sell it for "more than its worth" and we need to make a profit...But in my 2yrs at the shop, i have never seen someone take 50%.

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Unfortunealy, I have & far more often then I care to admit. I remember an older gentlemen who came into the gun shop; someone,had passed away and left their gun collection - beautiful, old o/u and S/S. He didn't know what to do,so he took them into the local gun shop to sell instead of gathering dust.

I stood there for awhile, admiring as they unpacked and laid out what amounts to a mans collection of a lifetime. Then, I walked out of the store.

Someone once wrote an article about making sure your relatives know "What" you have and the approximate value. If you have several high value items, you really should have a valuation done. It helps prevent an unscrupulous dealer from fleecing relatives and should keep all parties honest. But there are no guarantees in life.

These a hard times and not long ago a gentlemen was selling guns out of the trunk of his car. A relative went into rehab and needed cash NOW. So he went to the local gun club figuring it was the best place to liquidate the assets.

Forewarned is forearmed - IMHO - unless I know them & they already have CC license - I sell through FFL. Let them do the paperwork & background checks.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  12. string1946

string1946 New Member

23 Edition of the Standard Catalog of Firearms gives it a value in Exc. condition of $550 plus I agree scope and mounts add at least another $150. $700 is fair and less is better. Good luck.