Your range rituals...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Defiant_one, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

So..going to the range today...I try to get there at least once per week.

We all have rituals in terms of what we shoot. For me, its fairly easy...I only own 4 handguns and two rifles (I know, deprived. Lol) so I bring all except the 22 rifle and shoot them all.

• S&W M&P 15 .556 to start things off
    • Ruger 22/45
    • Bersa Thunder 380
    • Glock 19 Gen 14 (mod)
    • CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
    What do you bring to the range to shoot ? Do you get there often ? What do you bring to shoot normally...Is your range pretty cool (allows rapid fire, etc.) or are they range Nazi's...:p

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

I don't really have any range set in stone routines. I try to stay away from a set rote do this then that type thing it goes against my nature.

Typically I take one or two firearms but I go with a purpose. Its either ammo testing as I'm working up a load or getting ready for the winter hunt. Or its practice session with either optics or iron sights. Sometimes I'll bring a gun I've been modifying for function testing or zeroing optics.

The range I shoot on is 1 shot per second no rapid bullet hosing. I like that rule when shooting amongst the general public. There are a LOT of ninja types that think holding guns sideways to shoot is how its done. I don't like being around people mag dumping and generally being an ***-hat.

If I want to practice shooting fast I have other places I can do that.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A strong belief that someone above will help me keep a steady hand, clear eyes, and quiet mouth.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I usually take out one gun at a time. So I can focus on its behavior, as well as my handling of it. My range sessions are short, because you do your best in the first half hour (if you waste no time). Then you just have fun blowing away the ammo.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i normally take several firearms. depends on what i feel like playing with. but usually the HD gun goes everytime and gets used. always good to keep up your skill with the ones your most likely to use.. now as fall is aproaching most of the guns that get played with are for hunting to get re-aquainted with them and verify zeros. after season up untill mid summer its back to play shooting. just working on basics. once in awhile i get to do a training session.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

The only thing I think is consistent is I always take one of my 22's.

7. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I only bring one gun with me and I focus on that weapon.

For the deer rifle, I fire 3 rounds from a benched sandbagged position.

Then I take the middle of the triangle formed by the impacts, and I adjust the scope to center it.

Then I fire 3 more.

If centered, the day is over with. If not then I repeat the above steps until they are centered.

For the carbine, I fire 5 rounds from the bipod benched, and proceed as with the deer rifle.

For the pistol, I first chalk my footprints.

Then I fire 10 rounds two handed.

Then 10 rounds one handed.

Then 10 rounds with the other hand one handed.

Then it's time to go home.

8. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I used to have a 22LR but I got rid of it.

Now I have a 5.56x45mm.

About the same diameter, just longer range -- 500 yds.

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Exactly !!!

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

hell, i can take all of mine! the great wonder of having a shooting right in your backyard.

i use old wooden pallets for target holders and have them set up at different ranges from 25 yards to 100 yards. for pistol shooting, i use the one set at 25 yards and have markers for 5, 7, and 10 yards.

i haven't shot at a public gun range in over twenty five years now. with having a shooting range in the backyard, it gives my father and brother a place to practice as well.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

You are my hero. :D

12. Axxe55

why thank you Scott!:D

13. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I used to want to shoot as many different guns as possible for a range trip. Nowadays I prefer to take 1 or 2 plus a pistol and take my time.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I don't have a range in my back yard like AXXE. But I am 5 minutes from a BLM shooting area. And it is a pretty decent one. And nobody bothers you. What I bring just depends on the mood I am in. If there were other people around they would probably look at my funny when I put the AR15 back in the case and pull out a black powder revolver. But I have actually done it. I have about 35 or so guns. But a 1911 usually makes the trip. Sometimes I set up silhouette targets.
    Sometimes I just shoot at plastic water bottles. I dont shoot at glass bottles. I do not leave anything behind when I am done.

The last time I went out I took a couple of new shooters with me. We shot at Zombie Elk Targets. I had been saving the targets for a special occasion. When we had all finished shooting I told everyone that the targets had been a gift from a friend. He was their friend too. He has since passed away. It was a nice way to remember him. He would have liked that.

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Yeah Axxe you lucky so and so!!! If I had a range in my back yard I'd run out of Ammo once a month!! We have a brand new indoor Range 20 mins away, or we go about 10 mins north of our House towards west Sedona, and into the BLM/National Forrest.(Coconino nat'l) and head in about a mile off the road, and there we are, a natural depression with 12ft berms and a small hill to shoot into, about 35-40 yards deep and about 50 yards wide...we go 2x a month unless circumstances prevent. Even though we shot a match last week(22 Steel), were going out today, and Again in 2weeks because we have another match in 3 weeks up in Flag(Staff ). As for "ritual"( that's a great song By Yes BTW, one of their 28 minute jams!!), I take no less then 6 guns to every trip, and sometimes it's hard to decide what, because the wife thinks we take too much stuff now. Today were taking the Buckmarks, the 10/22's, 4 9MM's, both Rugers go every time now, plus the RIA & the Pitbull, the Judge, and her SP101 and the Security Six. Today we are shooting our two new steel targets(22's only) and our red and orange reactives. I'm only using two regular target stands today. One my friend built me out of PVC piping, and one I made out of a packing Bin, and some Bottles filled with dark colored Water...I have everything packed, just eating brunch and hydrating, then we will get ready and pack out the Truck.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

16. Axxe55

now guys, it's nothing fancy by any means! rather primitive in some ways. my land is bordered by wood on three sides and behind the shooting berm i built up as a backstop is thick dense woods with the closest house about a mile
    away. i would love to have a much longer range than i have, but with the way the house sits on the land, it's not possible for safety reasons. it may not be a formal range, but we still practice safe gun handling and there are times when my young nieces come to shoot and i want them to learn how to handle and shoot guns safely. even though i am usually the only one shooting the majority of the time, and by myself, i still follow certain procedures to be safe. i make sure the action is open and the guns are unloaded before going downrange to check targets.

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

We are pretty casual when it's just the two of us, but we still observe safety precautions. In two weeks we will have a bunch of folks out with us(8 all total plus my wife and I) so I'll bring more to shoot and more Ammo, plus my shooting bench. Today just one folding table, 2 chairs, and one Range box, and 1 Ammo box mixed, since most of my Magazines are pre loaded....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

18. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am with you on that. The nearest public range to me is an accident waiting to happen. No supervision, and everything within two hundred yards is shot to hell, including the restrooms. I end up hosting friends, at my house, who come to shoot and everyone shoots everyone elses guns, so I usually take only one or two, but always include my 1911 and usually my Beretta 92.

We are in the "dog days" of Summer with temps approaching 100 every day and very high humidity to boot. Heat indices around 110. This time of year, I don't shoot on a regular basis, but use my weekends prowling pawn and guns for bargains.

19. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Axxe...I knew you were a stinker

Your own personal range on your property ? BLISS...LOL

So many times I just want to go out and shoot. 20 minute drive to Everett. Indoors. Can't shoot "things".

Then again, as one poster said, my ammo bill (eyyyyyyy) ..bad enough now..

20. Axxe55

DF, don't be getting your hopes up thinking if you walked into my backyard and to think i have concrete shooting benches and awnings and all that pretty stuff a real shooting range has, as mine is pretty primitive! but it does afford me the luxury of shooting whenever i want as long as the weather permits.

i have been shooting on the same property for almost twenty years now. before i moved down here ten years ago, it was about a 15 mile trip from where i lived at the time. so living here now is much nicer!