Your primary weapon versus multiple bad guys

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by MTS840, Jan 5, 2010.

1. MTS840

MTS840 New Member

I know things like this are relatively uncommon, but they do happen.

Mass shootings, home invasions, car jackings, assaults and robberies sometimes involve multiple suspects who work together as a team against the victim.

Does the possibility of multiple sociopathic bad guys such as in this story have any influence on your choice of carry or home defense weapon?

Or are you comfortable carrying a small auto or 5-shot revolver?

Suspect in N.H. Machete Attack Regrets Girl Survived - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

“It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle? Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce's answer was, "Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot." The highest score I know of at this time achieved by one man against a group of armed adversaries was recorded in (of all places) the Ivory Coast! There, some years ago, a graduate student of mine laid out five goblins, with four dead and one totaled for the hospital. Of course there is the episode of Alvin York and his eight, but there is some dispute about that tale. (If you read it over very carefully you will see what I mean.) Be that as it may, I see no real need for a double column magazine. It is all the rage, of course, and a popular current sales gimmick.” Col. Jeff Cooper

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

when i had a CCW permit back in texas i carried a Sig P220 7 shot with 2 extra magazines in the summer i carried a walther PPK .380 with 2 extra magazines. i felt comfy with either of them. i am a really good shot and i have been shot at before and i know i wont freeze under fire.

now however i live in the people's republic of wisconsin and i think it is the only state in the union that has no form of concealed carry and no real right to self defense. it is totally up tot he whatever DA cares to prosecute or not if you defend yourself. my home pistol is a CZ97BD and i keep a shotgun in the house which is a 12Ga mossberg 590. i am totally comfy with either.

most criminals are cowards and will flee as much as they are able at the first gunshot. if they werent of low moral character they would not be criminals. cowardarly behaviour goes hand in hand with low moral character and the types of people that commit violent crimes for the most part.

4. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Juh see that cellphone footage of the shootings in Las Vegas yesterday? 50-60 rounds shot from multiple axes on one perp. The largest tube in the world ain't worth a crap if it's empty.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My pholosphy is simple- my revolver is to allow me to fight my way to my shotgun.

My shotgun is to allow me to fight my way to the radio.

When I get to the radio, I will NAPALM your azz for disturbing my sleep.:cool:

Seriously, I now carry for social purpose, not work. My sidearm is to buy me room to run. If you are chasing me, I plan for you to be chasing me with a sucking chest wound.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

c3 you crack me up! [​IMG]

7. MTS840

MTS840 New Member

But if CCW were legal in Wisconsin, would you base your choice of carry gun on this assumption?

No doubt about criminals having a "low moral character," but many of them are not cowards nor are they stupid. Many of them have been shot before and will proudly show you their wounds.

Some of them are around guns all the time and are not afraid of them.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I carry whatever rounds will fit in the magazine plus an extra magazine. It's not likely that I'll need every bullet, but better to have it and not need it........

I would only carry a revolver as a back-up. Doesn't make my choice better than anyone else's, but I'm the only one I have to account for.

9. MB44

MB44 New Member

Down here south where I live we have lately seen a high increase in assaults/robberies with multiple perp’s, so it has definitely influenced my choice of the weapon I carry. Today I am using a SIG P250 (9mm/15+1), but I am contemplating to go back to the original Tupperware gun.

I am not sure if I agree 100% with Canebreak’s initial comment. Yes, I would guess that there is a tendency to fire of too many rounds with a high capacity gun, but what would be the alternative? To confront 2-5 perp´s, in your home, holding your wife and kids at gun point, with a 5 round snubby loaded with .357Mag ( most likely it won’t happen as by that time my 13 year old daughter would already have neutralized the threat with her GLOCK 17 :D) ? In that case I prefer the high capacity gun. Also to take into consideration is the reaction from a perp. JonM is right I think, when he says that most perps are cowards, but I am not sure their level of “cowardness” is a global constant. I’ve seen some pretty outlandish things down here, so I prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  10. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Good Lord what a horrible story. Disturbing.

Well any gun is better than nothing. But you have to have time to get to it, part of an overall plan. Like the man said, handgun to fight way to long gun nearby. If you use a roscoe or a single stack it is prudent to have at least one reload nearby. The sound of the first shot will change the situation dramatically, maybe for the better, maybe not. But it will change.

Again very disturbing.

11. utf59

utf59 New Member

When I'm done shooting, I'd rather have surplus ammo than surplus bad guys.

12. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

My next door neighbor just got their house robbed in the morning after they went to work so Im going to buy a good german shepard for a guard dog. For years my wife has been against owning a dog but for me this was the last straw . I want a dog that can protect me and my family and give me the valuable time necessary to grab a firearm. For home defense I still believe a twelve guage pump shotgun is #1.

13. MTS840

MTS840 New Member

What's really scary is that guys like this shop at the same stores YOU do.

14. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

You said a mouthful, brother!!
    I live by the same slogan.

At home it's the shotgun (Rem 870 Police) with the wife as backup with her revolver. When I'm out in the world it's my M&P .40c with two extra full mags and again the wife with her S&W .38 spl revolver. We also keep a box of extra ammo (split half .38 & half .40) for each of our handguns in both our vehicles. When the wife & I adventure out alone we're half as powerful, but just as effective.

15. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

In reference to the title-

My primary VS multiple badgys.

I can draw, and place 8 shots, center mass, on 4 targets in under 3 seconds.

I have done this numerous times, slowest being 3.4 seconds, all hits in the 0.

While the rush of competition will not be the same as a real life self defense situation, I feel that my practice in shooting IDPA has made me better equpped to come out of a shooting unscathed.

16. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

WOW... 32 rounds in under 3 seconds :eek: that's a hell of a magazine :cool:

(((hee hee hee it's all in how you read it)))

17. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

its really quite easy to do if your primary is a lightning linked bushmaster pistol! But mines not. Total of 8 shots, 2 to each BG.

18. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I agree with this 100% and find it rather funny.

I've carried revolvers and autos, double and single stack. I was comfortable and I am comfortable with any of them. A pistol is only good for fighting back to a long gun. If I'm on the street I carry 16 rds of 45. If you enter my home and I need more then 5 rds of 12ga 00 I've got 16 rds of 45 at the ready followed by 10 rds of 38 from my wife while I'm reloading(this could go on for a long time). Anyone want to come for dinner?

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm perfectly comfortable when dining with armed friends. :D :)

I have a S.A.W. set up on a tripod in my livingroom just incase, it allows me to fight to get to my MK19.

20. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Ever been behind a MK19? That was one of my favorites when I was in.