Your ownership goals for 2017? Lets see em'

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Wulf190, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Wulf190

Wulf190 Member

I'm curious to see everybody's "want list" for 2017 or beyond. I'll go first.

Been wanting this one since the early 90's. Of all the higher end autos out there, this one has always appealed to me with the design and performance. Have had the privilege of shooting it and was highly impressed. I'll start selling my plasma now!

[​IMG]

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I'm hoping to be able to afford a boat that does not sink whenever I have a firearm on board the boat.

boat sunk.jpg

:D

3. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

I really want a M1 garand. Hoping to be able to save up for one by October. That's if other life necessities don't come up. I may trade off a few things from my collection for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. Wulf190

Wulf190 Member

Cool. A nice piece of history there...

5. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

For some inexplicable reason, I've had the hots lately for a Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm, to be a companion to my 92FS. Certainly don't need it, but I love to plink at about 50 yards and 9mm ammo is cheaper than .223 or M1 Carbine, and is about the same weight as an M1 Carbine. Just hard to justify as I have plenty of options and $750 can certainly buy a lot of .223 ammo.

Second is a Bersa Thunder Combat Plus in .380, as a companion to my regular Bersa Thunder Combat. 15+1 versus 8+1 is a powerful incentive, but the mags are hard to come by and expensive when they are available. It would replace my Combat as my EDC, which is a very fine weapon and fits me just right.

Probably won't get either...Other priorities like finishing up my man cave, getting my '69 Road Runner running, and several improvements around the farm before we're too old to appreciate them.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Robert- have you looked at getting a Garand from the CMP?

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

"Other life necessities..???" Hell, Id be homeless on the street before I would sell my Garand or M1911... :p

On my list too.. Im going for a IHC or M1D next..

You Mosin people had it easy... M1-itius is expensive! :(

8. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

Yes. But I don't know any clubs around me affiliated with the CMP. A local shop has two CMP garands for $1500. Is that the going rate for the CMP Garands?

9. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

buying a used garand from anyone but cmp directly or fulton armory directly if you are not a professional level m1 expert is a crapshoot at best and the odds are not in your favor.

there are a LOT of things that can be wrong with any m1 series that may appear to the avg person as a 100% working gun.

if you want a true piece of war history buy a cmp. if you want a tack driving brand new shooter made with modern parts and high quality barrels by a fulton armory. everything else,,,... admire it and move on.

just my unprofessional opinion.

10. targa

targa Well-Known Member

Yeh, definitely try to go through CMP. Or you could go to Cabelas and find one of their CMP Garands that they mark up $500...man they are a joke.
    I have a M9 Beretta on layaway Wulf.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  11. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

a handgun vault in every room

a handgun in every vault

build my 5 80% lowers

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My ownership goals in 2017?

Everyone who messed with me in 2016.
    (And believe me, I will own them.)

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Got the CX4 recently, there is a lot to be said for having a PCC with

compatible mags. I really like mine.

As to goals, perhaps rounding out a couple PCC sets. Maybe getting a

couple better scopes for the rifles I already own. Perhaps re-barreling

the Garand. Nothing major.

Welcome to the Beretta club, guys. My 92s are real workhorses,

never a malfunction, accurate, fit well in the grip.

Consider joining Beretta Forum.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am constantly looking with no preconceived "target" firearm. When I find something that I like, and is in my price range, I bag it up. I prowl pawnshops and mom and pop gun shops on a regular basis and hit an average of four or five shows a year.

I am done with modern guns, I have plenty of "work guns" andi can't imagine wanting another 9mm pistol or modern .38 revolver, but I like old revolvers and any military surplus weapons, the older the better.

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Garands are still going for $700-$1000 locally where I live...

The CMP doesnt have anything "special" or original anymore.. All of them seem just to be modern rebuilds with new Criterion barrels.. I think I only paid $800 for my Korean war grenadier rifle, plus around another $100 finding all the accessories.

All my best guns have come from a private party. :)

Aside from a possible bent op rod, buying a Garand is just like any other surplus rifle.

17. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

I have a friend who has been collecting as long as I've been alive. I always have him look at any old milsurp I buy. I call him my collecting mentor.

18. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

I treat my USGI M1 Carbine with reverence, as well as my Grandfather's Rem Model 12. Other than those, not particularly interested in older weapons. I do have a P38/P1 that is fun to shoot, though.

My nephew is the collector, going back to the Civil War days up through WW-II and the Korean War. He takes after his Dad, except he focused on WW-II: both U.S. and German, with one or two Japanese rifles thrown in.

19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

So C3, have you ever considered a lighter EDC? :p

No set goals for me, except for paying off my latest hospital bill, which just might mean it's time to thin out the collection, keeping the ones that are worth more to me for sentimental reasons, and selling off a good share of the filler.

I know I could sell the Singer for more than enough to pay off the bill from the surgery, but that one was a college graduation gift from my grandfather, and it will be passed on to my daughter when I'm gone. Other than that, tine to sell the trade in fodder, and switch to trade mode for any new additions coming into the collection.

hard part to that one is, I'll have to run each one past my wife first, and she has bought more of them than i have. I already know what's off limits to me, and I have a good idea what's off limits to her, but I still want to confirm it first.

[email protected], am I ever dreading that bill when it comes in.

20. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont think ive ever really set goals for buying, if I see something that I like and have money to burn ill buy it. Be it in a parking lot or a pawnshop, i would like a Ruger Bearcat shopkeeper though, would need to find a private seller