your overall stance on gun control laws

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by hawkguy, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

first, i want this to be a respectful discussion among all posters. if i feel people begin to disrespect each other or the discussion gets out of control, i'm openly telling you i will request the mods to close it. i think everyone can handle it though.

second, i am a gun owner and believe in 2nd amendment rights as applied to the individual.

i just wanted to get a feeling for the amount of gun control gun owners are comfortable with. in some cases, i feel gun owners can get a bit paranoid and irrational about gun laws that are in place to protect the general public. in other words, some feel ANY gun law will eventually result in ALL gun rights lost in their minds.

like many of you, i feel like i have pretty good handle on what gun laws should be acceptable, and which infringe on our second amendment rights. but many of you may not agree with my opinions.

of the following gun control ideas, which would you support and which would you protest? just a simple "SUPPORT" and "PROTEST" will be fine. if you are a "maybe" or somewhere in between, feel free to explain. also, feel free to write a brief explanation of your beliefs on any answer.

feel free to explain and discuss the choices. but everyone has a right to an opinion. use the words "agree to disagree" when it is needed please. PLEASE maintain respect, ladies and gentlemen. ALSO, i am sure i missed a few laws/controversies. if you want to ask your own question separately, feel free.

do you support or protest:

BACKGROUND CHECKS TO PURCHASE FIREARMS?

BACKGROUND CHECKS ON ALL SALES AT GUN SHOWS?

BACKGROUND CHECKS/MODERATION OF PRIVATE SALES?

BACKGROUND CHECKS AT RETAIL STORES?

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO "OPEN CARRY?"

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY (LOADED FIREARM) CONCEALED W/O A CONCEALED LICENSE?

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY WITH A LICENSE (AND TRAINING)?

REQUIRING 50% OFF CONCEALED LICENSE COURSES FOR WOMEN AND SENIORS?

CITIZENS BEING REQUIRED TO HAVE A BASIC TRAINING TO PURCHASE A FIREARM?

RESTRICTIONS ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS?

BAN ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS?

RESTRICTIONS ON MAGAZINE CAPACITY (ANY RESTRICTIONS)?

RESTRICTIONS ON "SO CALLED" ASSAULT WEAPON FEATURES (PISTOL GRIPS, FLASH HINDERS, ETC)?

LIMITATIONS OF AMOUNT OF FIREARMS PURCHASED IN A PERIOD?

LIMITATIONS ON AMMO PURCHASED IN A PERIOD?

REQUIRED RED FLAGS/NOTIFICATIONS TO AUTHORITIES BASED ON HIGH VOLUME SALES OF FIREARMS/AMMO BY INDIVIDUALS?

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR ANY CRIMINAL CONVICTION?

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR VIOLENT CRIMINALS ONLY?

ALLOWING CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF MINOR, NON-VIOLENT CRIMES (DWI, WEED, MINOR THEFT) TO PURCHASE FIREARMS LEGALLY?

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON NON-CITIZENS LEGALLY PURCHASING FIREARMS IN THE US?

REQUIRED REGISTRATION OF FIREARMS (LIKE YOUR CAR)?

RESTRICTIONS ON CERTAIN TYPES OF AMMO?

BANS ON WEAPONS LIKE GRENADE LAUCHERS, FLAME THROWERS, AND EXPLOSIVES?

BANS ON HIGHER POWER RIFLES CALIBERS (50BMG ish)?

RESTRICTIONS ON AGE TO PURCHASE A FIREARM?

RESTRICITONS ON AGE TO USE A FIREARM?

REQUIRING EVERY CITIZEN TO OWN A GUN?

LAWS LIKE "STAND YOUR GROUND" OR THE "CASTLE DOCTRINE"?

LAWS THAT PUNISH NEGLIGENT GUN OWNERS FOR FAILURE TO PRACTICE BASIC GUN SAFETY?

HARSHER PENALTIES FOR CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF SELLING ILLEGAL FIREARMS?

ABSOLUETLY NO RESTRCTIONS/LAWS/BANS ON ANY SALE OR USE OF ANY TYPE OF FIREARM OR AMMO, AS LONG AS THE USE IS NOT CRIMINAL?

thanks, and looking forward to the input.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Zero gun control.

I think that sums it up.

We should be able to walk into any gunstore buy a machine gun and walk right out without filling out any paperwork.

It worked just fine for nearly the first 200 years of our nation. I firmly believe all the problems we face today are solely the cause of government over regulation.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Personally I training should be required and anything on the market should be available to anyone who can afford it and qualify to use it.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IMO, people should be legally liable

to properly aim, and point their firearms in a safe

manner, when loaded, or shooting.

Gun safety should be learned from

the parents, at an early age.

(Training helps) ;)

Criminals wouldn't do what they do now,

if we treated them like the scum they are...

5. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

If you are a legal tax paying citizen of the USA. You should have the right to exercise your rights given through the Bill if Rights.

6. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Who qualifies you took the training. I have a buddy that for $30 would fill out paperwork and give me a certificate stating that I took a class even if I didn't.

Do I get a pass because I shot M-249, M-240, Mk-19, M-2, M-9, M-16, AT-4, and a few others in the Military?

I support the 2nd amendment.

What part of that is hard to understand?

in·fringe [in-frinj] Show IPA verb, in·fringed, in·fring·ing.
    verb (used with object)
    to commit a breach or infraction of; violate or transgress: to infringe a copyright; to infringe a rule.

verb (used without object)
    to encroach or trespass (usually followed by on or upon ): Don't infringe on his privacy.

7. hawkguy

do you support or protest: here are mine :)

BACKGROUND CHECKS TO PURCHASE FIREARMS? support

BACKGROUND CHECKS ON ALL SALES AT GUN SHOWS? support

BACKGROUND CHECKS/MODERATION OF PRIVATE SALES? SUPPORT, but i could see where this could become "mission impossible."

BACKGROUND CHECKS AT RETAIL STORES? support

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO "OPEN CARRY?" protest

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY (LOADED FIREARM) CONCEALED W/O A CONCEALED LICENSE? undecided on the fence about this one.

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY WITH A LICENSE (AND TRAINING)? support!

REQUIRING 50% OFF CONCEALED LICENSE COURSES FOR WOMEN AND SENIORS? support

CITIZENS BEING REQUIRED TO HAVE A BASIC TRAINING TO PURCHASE A FIREARM? support many will disagree, but do you think letting a teen driver loose with a vehicle w/o training is smart? some people who purchase firearms don't have a CLUE how to use them.

RESTRICTIONS ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS? support

BAN ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS? undecided

RESTRICTIONS ON MAGAZINE CAPACITY (ANY RESTRICTIONS)? support
    i know i'll get it for this, but you have to draw the line somewhere imo. i say 30 round mags.

RESTRICTIONS ON "SO CALLED" ASSAULT WEAPON FEATURES (PISTOL GRIPS, FLASH HINDERS, ETC)? protest

LIMITATIONS OF AMOUNT OF FIREARMS PURCHASED IN A PERIOD? undecided but if i would agree to this, it would have to be more than 10.

LIMITATIONS ON AMMO PURCHASED IN A PERIOD? protest

REQUIRED RED FLAGS/NOTIFICATIONS TO AUTHORITIES BASED ON HIGH VOLUME SALES OF FIREARMS/AMMO BY INDIVIDUALS? support

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR ANY CRIMINAL CONVICTION? undecided

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR VIOLENT CRIMINALS ONLY? support

ALLOWING CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF MINOR, NON-VIOLENT CRIMES (DWI, WEED, MINOR THEFT) TO PURCHASE FIREARMS LEGALLY? maybe i think it depends on the crime and pattern

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON NON-CITIZENS LEGALLY PURCHASING FIREARMS IN THE US? support sorry, may not be pc, but i think you have to be a citizen to buy in US.

REQUIRED REGISTRATION OF FIREARMS (LIKE YOUR CAR)? protest but i think gun owners should register and log their own firearms, for their safety

RESTRICTIONS ON CERTAIN TYPES OF AMMO? protest, i think

BANS ON WEAPONS LIKE GRENADE LAUCHERS, FLAME THROWERS, AND EXPLOSIVES? support

BANS ON HIGHER POWER RIFLES CALIBERS (50BMG ish)? maybe i think you have to draw the line somewhere

RESTRICTIONS ON AGE TO PURCHASE A FIREARM? support

RESTRICITONS ON AGE TO USE A FIREARM? support maybe like 7-8 with an adult imo.

REQUIRING EVERY CITIZEN TO OWN A GUN? protest

LAWS LIKE "STAND YOUR GROUND" OR THE "CASTLE DOCTRINE"? support but must have a anti "tough guy" condition, to discourage the "dirty harry" types form vigilante justice.

LAWS THAT PUNISH NEGLIGENT GUN OWNERS FOR FAILURE TO PRACTICE BASIC GUN SAFETY? support

HARSHER PENALTIES FOR CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF SELLING ILLEGAL FIREARMS? support

ABSOLUETLY NO RESTRCTIONS/LAWS/BANS ON ANY SALE OR USE OF ANY TYPE OF FIREARM OR AMMO, AS LONG AS THE USE IS NOT CRIMINAL? protest

8. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Rights are not GIVEN.

9. Nighthawk63

Nighthawk63 New Member

Gun Control

Myself, I have not figured out what it is or how it is supposed to help people with the right to bear arms against all evils foreign or domestic. To stand up for up against forces that would take everything you own or believe in. To speak against the forces that would try to control your right to hunt to target shoot or practice with other people who want to be prepared for not if SHTF but when it does hit the fan.

Today we need people who will stand up for right no matter what the cost or expense. Today we need people who will act in place of those who do nothing. Today we need people who are not afraid to defend out rights and free men. Today we need a group who will do whatever it takes to stand against the corrupt and evil. In the past they were called PATRIOTS!!

I think I will just continue to be a rebel against those who oppose us who are gun owners and hopefully find other who will do it with me.

10. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I agree fully. Just a general statement.

11. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

As The NRA puts it: "When guns become outlawed only outlaws will own guns".

12. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

BACKGROUND CHECKS TO PURCHASE FIREARMS? NICS is more than enough. No criminal record or record of mental illness, no restriction.

BACKGROUND CHECKS ON ALL SALES AT GUN SHOWS? See above.

BACKGROUND CHECKS/MODERATION OF PRIVATE SALES? No restrictions on private sales.

BACKGROUND CHECKS AT RETAIL STORES? See number one.

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO "OPEN CARRY?" Yes.

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY (LOADED FIREARM) CONCEALED W/O A CONCEALED LICENSE? Yes. A license can be revoked, the right to keep and BEAR arms cannot!

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY WITH A LICENSE (AND TRAINING)? If the person wants training, fine. It should be recommended not mandated.

REQUIRING 50% OFF CONCEALED LICENSE COURSES FOR WOMEN AND SENIORS? OK.

CITIZENS BEING REQUIRED TO HAVE A BASIC TRAINING TO PURCHASE A FIREARM? No.

RESTRICTIONS ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS? No. See number one for NICS check.

BAN ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS? No.

RESTRICTIONS ON MAGAZINE CAPACITY (ANY RESTRICTIONS)? No.

RESTRICTIONS ON "SO CALLED" ASSAULT WEAPON FEATURES (PISTOL GRIPS, FLASH HINDERS, ETC)? None!

LIMITATIONS OF AMOUNT OF FIREARMS PURCHASED IN A PERIOD? No.

LIMITATIONS ON AMMO PURCHASED IN A PERIOD? No.

REQUIRED RED FLAGS/NOTIFICATIONS TO AUTHORITIES BASED ON HIGH VOLUME SALES OF FIREARMS/AMMO BY INDIVIDUALS? No.

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR ANY CRIMINAL CONVICTION? This is too vague. It would depend on the severity of the conviction. Violent crime convictions should restrict a person's ability to own firearms.

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR VIOLENT CRIMINALS ONLY? Yes.

ALLOWING CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF MINOR, NON-VIOLENT CRIMES (DWI, WEED, MINOR THEFT) TO PURCHASE FIREARMS LEGALLY? Possibly after a period of time to see if the person is a repeated violator.

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON NON-CITIZENS LEGALLY PURCHASING FIREARMS IN THE US? Yes.

REQUIRED REGISTRATION OF FIREARMS (LIKE YOUR CAR)? No!

RESTRICTIONS ON CERTAIN TYPES OF AMMO? no.

BANS ON WEAPONS LIKE GRENADE LAUCHERS, FLAME THROWERS, AND EXPLOSIVES? Yes.

BANS ON HIGHER POWER RIFLES CALIBERS (50BMG ish)? No.

RESTRICTIONS ON AGE TO PURCHASE A FIREARM? 18. If a person can defend the Country in the military, they should be able to own a gun to defend themselves and loved ones.

RESTRICITONS ON AGE TO USE A FIREARM? As long as a parent or legal guardian is present, no restrictions.

REQUIRING EVERY CITIZEN TO OWN A GUN? No, it should be a choice.

LAWS LIKE "STAND YOUR GROUND" OR THE "CASTLE DOCTRINE"? YES!

LAWS THAT PUNISH NEGLIGENT GUN OWNERS FOR FAILURE TO PRACTICE BASIC GUN SAFETY? No.

HARSHER PENALTIES FOR CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF SELLING ILLEGAL FIREARMS? YES!!

ABSOLUETLY NO RESTRCTIONS/LAWS/BANS ON ANY SALE OR USE OF ANY TYPE OF FIREARM OR AMMO, AS LONG AS THE USE IS NOT CRIMINAL? Yes.

13. hawkguy

honestly? so, a man convicted of murder and rape, out on parole....should be able to walk in any gun store and purchase any firearm he pleases?

that is ZERO gun control, no? we'll have to agree to disagree completely.

14. Rarity

Rarity New Member

BACKGROUND CHECKS TO PURCHASE FIREARMS? Support

BACKGROUND CHECKS ON ALL SALES AT GUN SHOWS? Support

BACKGROUND CHECKS/MODERATION OF PRIVATE SALES? Support

BACKGROUND CHECKS AT RETAIL STORES? Support

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO "OPEN CARRY?" Support

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY (LOADED FIREARM) CONCEALED W/O A CONCEALED LICENSE? Support

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY WITH A LICENSE (AND TRAINING)? Support

REQUIRING 50% OFF CONCEALED LICENSE COURSES FOR WOMEN AND SENIORS? Support

CITIZENS BEING REQUIRED TO HAVE A BASIC TRAINING TO PURCHASE A FIREARM? Protest

RESTRICTIONS ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS? Protest

BAN ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS? Protest

RESTRICTIONS ON MAGAZINE CAPACITY (ANY RESTRICTIONS)? Protest

RESTRICTIONS ON "SO CALLED" ASSAULT WEAPON FEATURES (PISTOL GRIPS, FLASH HINDERS, ETC)? Protest

LIMITATIONS OF AMOUNT OF FIREARMS PURCHASED IN A PERIOD? Support

LIMITATIONS ON AMMO PURCHASED IN A PERIOD? Protest

REQUIRED RED FLAGS/NOTIFICATIONS TO AUTHORITIES BASED ON HIGH VOLUME SALES OF FIREARMS/AMMO BY INDIVIDUALS? Support

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR ANY CRIMINAL CONVICTION? Support

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR VIOLENT CRIMINALS ONLY?
    Support

ALLOWING CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF MINOR, NON-VIOLENT CRIMES (DWI, WEED, MINOR THEFT) TO PURCHASE FIREARMS LEGALLY? Protest

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON NON-CITIZENS LEGALLY PURCHASING FIREARMS IN THE US?
    Support

REQUIRED REGISTRATION OF FIREARMS (LIKE YOUR CAR)? Protest

RESTRICTIONS ON CERTAIN TYPES OF AMMO? Protest

BANS ON WEAPONS LIKE GRENADE LAUCHERS, FLAME THROWERS, AND EXPLOSIVES? Support

BANS ON HIGHER POWER RIFLES CALIBERS (50BMG ish)? Protest

RESTRICTIONS ON AGE TO PURCHASE A FIREARM? Support

RESTRICITONS ON AGE TO USE A FIREARM?
    Protest

REQUIRING EVERY CITIZEN TO OWN A GUN?
    Support

LAWS LIKE "STAND YOUR GROUND" OR THE "CASTLE DOCTRINE"? Support

LAWS THAT PUNISH NEGLIGENT GUN OWNERS FOR FAILURE TO PRACTICE BASIC GUN SAFETY? Support

HARSHER PENALTIES FOR CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF SELLING ILLEGAL FIREARMS?
    Support

ABSOLUETLY NO RESTRCTIONS/LAWS/BANS ON ANY SALE OR USE OF ANY TYPE OF FIREARM OR AMMO, AS LONG AS THE USE IS NOT CRIMINAL? Support

15. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Violent criminals should be hanged!

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Based on your list I can't see how you possibly support 2A. :confused:

You are basically willing to cave on every hot topic issue that has been raised by the media in the last 20 years.

Age restriction to USE a firearm?!?! :confused: Really? I was taught to shoot beer cans off a saw horse in the backyard with a BB gun when I was four. Many here have very similar backgrounds. So my father wasn't a responsible parent in your view?

Protest open carry? Why?

Restrictions on Automatic Weapon sales, but undecided on an outright ban? That is a contradiction in and of itself. Either you want restrictions and are against a ban, or you want a ban altogether. Not really a gray area there.

There are already laws on the books to ban ownership by felons, but yet felons keep getting guns and using them illegally. How about we make the government actually enforce some of those laws on the CRIMINALS before they start trying to legislate what I, and the other fine members of this forum & country, do or own?

I'm sorry but the whole idea behind the Second Amendment was that the citizenry should have the ability and Inalienable Right to own weaponry that is equivalent to that which is held by the government to insure that the government does not make subjects of us all.

Restricting sales of any hardware to civilians is walking all over that intent and is not what the founding fathers had in mind for a new land where everyone would be free to pursue their own way of life.

Which brings me back to my problem with restricting sales of any weapons in the first place.

• It's not like laws in the US are going to restrict the black market for the 900 gazillion weapons that have been produced in foreign countries.
    • Suddenly another law isn't going to make 700-800 million AK variants vanish into thin air.
    • A new US law isn't going to make FAL's produced in the millions to just fall into a void and never be used again.
    • Another restriction on US gun owners isn't going to magically return the hundreds of thousands of weapons that have been battlefield recovered all over the globe, back into the hands of the US Military.
    I mean really. Everything that is illegal, has a black market. How much did we spend on the Prohibition? How much on the War on Drugs? It's not like you couldn't get booze during Prohibition. It's not like you can't get drugs of every kind and make.

Hell every weekend, for like 48 weekends a year, we celebrate an event that was STARTED by criminals running illegal moonshine from the Feds.

It's called NASCAR. :rolleyes:

Restricting an honest and law abiding citizen from the purchase of a weapon make no sense until you can GUARANTEE that criminals won't have access to the exact same piece of hardware. Period.

JD

17. Longrange

Longrange New Member

Shall not be infringed....... this sums it up for me. We have gun laws, we have background checks and we have restrictions already in place on what we can and cannot purchase. Short of calling all members of society insane until proven otherwise there is no way to rid society of people intent on doing other people harm.

The government cannot legislate safety just like they cannot legislate obesity. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Just like salad won't rid the country of obesity, more gun control won't rid the country of evil people.

Perhaps our government should focus on enforcement of current law with penalties that are served swiftly for rape, murder, child molestation and so on. Perhaps we need a death penalty that sends the guilty to death directly after the court verdict instead of sitting on death row for 50 years...... criminals would think twice if justice were swift.

18. m72law

m72law New Member

i agree 100% w/JonM

the way i see it... if there was less LAWS everywhere,& not just gun laws;the (Right) would Sort out the (Wrong).what we have now isnt working!!!& never will.We are not living in the wild west-its a hell of alot worse!:eek:!

any tax paying citizen/s should be allowed to purchase anything our government owns,even nukes!:D

19. vincent

vincent New Member

HAAA!! That explains the avatar!! :D:D:D

On topic...good people KNOW right from wrong, we don't need no stinkin' laws to tell us the difference...

20. Riverg420

Riverg420 New Member

I support background checks and support being a US citizen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.