Your opinion on best classic .25 ACP (this should be a fun one)

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by SSGN_Doc, Jun 3, 2020.

1. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I will admit to having TWO of the FN Baby Brownings (cause one looked so lonesome sitting there all by itself). And no- they DAMN sho' were not cheap- but they are incredibly well made little miniature guns. FWIW, the .25 Auto was designed to duplicate the .22LR fired out of a 2 inch bbl- but with more reliable priming, feed, and (wait for it) PENETRATION. Quit laughing- it DOES shoot a heavier (50 gr) jacketed bullet.

And boats, yeah- and I have always thought that s small submachine gun in .25 ACP would be really cool. Controllable recoil.

3. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

While I’d never expect a .25 to provide real stopping power in a big hurry it still has some deterrence factor to it and they are viable guns for “when you can’t carry a gun” type situation. My dad kept his in a IWB holster on the waist of his scrubs while at the hospital because sometimes people respond REALLY poorly to bad medical news about loved ones.

Centerliner and SSGN_Doc like this.
  4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Lots of good replies and thoughts here.

Anyone had one of these classics that gave them problems?

5. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

A couple "classics" for those with a bit more eccentric taste:
    Mauser 1910
    1910-Mauser-SN414-L-S.jpg
    H&R Self loader
    hr-self-loading-25.gif

As far as owning one for the fun of it or to add to the collection, i think we all have at least 1 gun that serves no other purpose than to make us smile.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    SSGN_Doc likes this.
  6. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

The real purpose of the vest pocket 25's was to bust kneecaps, the victim bound and gagged. Seriously, they were sold and bought on the false premise for a couple of decades, until it emerged that a .25 to center mass will stop no one. They are period pieces. I'd go for the most stylish Colt or Browning.

SRK97 and SSGN_Doc like this.
  7. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

.25acp pistols are, and have always been, “get-off-me” guns and like most popular early 1900s pistols they were meant for bad breath distance social encounters and to be carried in coat, vest or pants pockets. That’s why sights are nearly non existent on them.

They have always counted on the deterrent that assumes most folks will stop stupid behavior when confronted with ANY gun. But let’s face it, ALL handguns suck in the true stopping power department.

While a single slug might not be a strong dissuader for a truly determined attacker, 7 of them to the center of the chest or better, to the face will usually give someone a really bad day. If I can draw my .25 you are going to die. Might not be before you get to me, but you WILL die.

Trez and SSGN_Doc like this.
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

If you think that a .25 is too small to be of any use, permit me to introduce you to the Sedgley Baby Hammerless. .22 Short, DAO, 1 inch bbl.

[​IMG]

9. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

That’s an awesome gun! I like oddities...

Centerliner likes this.
  10. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

My Colt 1908 still shoots fine with I am assuming the original parts except the grips. I would say 100 years is a pretty good test. :)

SSGN_Doc likes this.
  11. seedy

seedy Member

i have a 1908 colt too and it is finely made and heavy for its size. Before ww11 being gut shot often meant a slow painful death. People were much more frightened by little guns than perhaps now. Nowdays you use a gun to stop an attack hopefully not to kill in self defense. The 25acp is not much of a stopper. Little 32 revolvers also fall in that were popular also fall in that ilk.

12. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Seecamp for the win! FCC0C0C6-4141-4B04-85AC-E27336C8F1F1.jpeg

towboater likes this.
  13. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I read an article once speculating that the .25 acp was invented as a whores pistol with tiny size to easily conceal but centerfire so it would reliably go bang to prove it was a real gun if fired into a mattress to impress a mean john.

SSGN_Doc and towboater like this.
  14. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Active Member

This thread is both interesting and amusing. Never had much thought for a .25 acp as I always perceived them as pretty much useless. But reading through this I found it interesting and did a little reading concerning the caliber and these little guns...and I still don’t want one!

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I’m sure John Moses Browning (a fairly well known Mormon) had exactly that in mind. Ha ha ha.

towboater likes this.
  16. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

17. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

A central nervous system hit with a .25 will have about the same terminal effect as a .44 magnum. The 25 is not useless. It has adequate penetration. All the ".25s are useless" comments seem pretty irresponsible. a .25 center mass will do about the same damage as a .380 center mass.
    As far as classic .25s, the Browning Baby and the Beretta 950 are the best. The Astra Cub is a great gun, but it's heavier. Galesi(s) had some quality control problems but if you get a good one they are nice guns. The later Beretta model 20 is a D/A version of the 950-very reliable and smaller than the 21 series guns. The Bernardelli .25 is tiny-it's a modernized copy of the Walther model 9.

18. BillDeShivs

The Beretta Jetfire is a .25.
    The 950b Minx is in .22 short.

19. Centerliner

Centerliner New Member Supporter

I gather that the complete lack of mention of the Raven .25 acp pistols indicates they don't rank anywhere in the "Classic" category?

20. BillDeShivs

Well, they're classic junk. Pot metal pistols that usually work pretty well, but they're big and heavy for pocket .25s.

Centerliner likes this.