Your opinion: Best Tactical .22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by thundermonty, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

There are many .22's out there to choose from. There are 4 tactical options that are all very good, but which would you prefer?
    Ruger 10/22 with tapco stock, 25rd mag, flash hider: 320$
    Kel-Tec SU-22 Factory Configuration: 320$

S&W M&P 15-22 Factory Configuration: 400$
    Sig 522 Factory Configuration: 400$

Remember: each has good sights, but only the 10/22 and S&W have a lot of rail options.

Personally, i would either want a 10/22 or the M&P 15-22.

If you have a gun you think should be on this list feel free to post it. Also, if you have pics of your .22 feel free to post them!

2. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

The only "tactical" .22 I've ever heard of was a "hush puppy" that special forces use to silently quiet dogs. It's a silenced Ruger Mark series.

What are you wanting a "tactical" .22 for?? Squirrel hunting? You could use a much cheaper $140 Mossberg .22 for that...

If you're wanting one for "tactical missions", I'd consider something other than a .22LR... jussayin'.

3. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

well, i silenced .22 is the best assassination weapon but thats not what i want it for. i want one for a run and gun weapon. or, if a meth-head is breaking in, and thats all i have nearby, a flash hider makes any gun look like a much bigger caliber. i just want to see what other people prefer. i am a small shooter so i'll probably get the 10/22 tapco because of the stock.

4. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

5. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

The " Hush Puppy " used by The Navy Seals in Vietnam was actually a S&W Model 39.

6. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

dont get me wrong- mossberg makes great shotguns, but their .22's aren't the best.

7. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Back in the day, Mossberg made some of the best shooting rimfires. I would agree there are much better .22's than the 702 Plinkster of today. However a Tactical style .22 is really only used for plinking anyway. Why spend $400 on a .22 auto loader with a plastic AR shell? Mossberg's offering is a bargain at $250. It has a quad rail forend, 25 round mag, adjustable stock....

8. Recomm

Recomm New Member

I have a M&P 15-22 and I couldn't be happier with it. It has a full picatinny quad rail from the removable rear sight up to the removable front sight which allows all the room in the world for accessories. It has a functioning bolt release, unlike the ruger and comes with a 25 rnd magazine. I have put around 2000 rnds through it and it only seems to fire better the more I fire it. You can't find a better tactical .22 rifle.

9. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

yes, but how much does it cost compared to the 10/22 hmm? you could have a 10/22 with all the works for the base price of the M&P 22

10. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I personally own a Ruger 10/22. I love all of the different add-on accessories, different magazines, and the reliability that it has to fire even when absolutely filthy! It's also deadly accurate, at least for me, and so I wouldn't go with anything else.

11. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

i wish i could have both. i'll probably go with the ruger. that way i can get it sooner, then add on as i get money. ruger 10/22 carbine on gunbroker is about 200$ :)

12. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Ruger 10/22 Carbine everyday Walmart price is $197... no shipping or FFL fees, just sales tax.

You can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22... lots and lots of accessories if you choose to go that route. Good luck.

13. Recomm

Recomm New Member

I bought my M&P 22 for $425 nib which was an excellent deal considering I was thinking of the .22 conversion kit for my M4 that was going to run almost as much. I have nothing against the ruger I just prefer the look and functionality of the m&p. It comes stock with a picatinny quad rail from the removable rear sight to the removable front sight which allows for lots of toys to be put on it. Along with that is a charging handle and bolt release similar to an actual AR.

14. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

My vote would be for the S&W. I have one and got a decent deal on it at a gunshow. All the controls are the same as a full size AR. Makes a great little shooting package and if you move up to a full size AR, the controls will be very familiar.

Super easy to clean. They have aftermarket spring kits available for the trigger. Personally, I like the stock trigger.

15. kcguy

kcguy New Member

I picked up the Sig 522 for $430, and it is a great rifle. So, that is where my vote goes.

16. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you plan to use an AR-15 or M-4 and have the extra money, it helps your muscle memory to practice with a .22 version of your larger caliber rifle. Just make sure to equip your .22 with the lasers, lights, slings and other goodies from your big gun so that you have the same weight and train your body the exact same way with your .22. Make sure all the switches, battery packs, spare mags - EVERYTHING - is in the exact same place as the big gun. You don't want to re-adjust when you go to your serious caliber. This is a cheap way to train yourself to have good tactics when you do pick up the "Big Gun" and start clearing the house!!

17. Morgo

Morgo New Member

Does this count as "tactical"? :)

[​IMG]

18. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

A .22 for a meth head :confused: I guess if that is all you have then use it. But if you can afford another firearm I would def think about getting something a bit bigger...maybe a shotgun :D Meth heads are known to take multiple shots and keep attacking, and that is from much more powerful weapons than a .22...

19. PAGLOCK23

PAGLOCK23 New Member

I have the Mossberg. Great gun for what I wanted it for and I only paid 189.00 and then bought the 25 round mag for 20.00.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  20. Recomm

Recomm New Member

Thats pretty freakin tactical. Now just throw a fore grip on and you've got a decent looking cqb weapon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.