Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mosin, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Is to build one of these, then post a tutorial, pics, and video...

[ame]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=192_1351748690[/ame]

This message will not self destruct. It will stay for posterity of awesomeness!!!!

For those without video access, it is a bookshelf that has awesome hidden compartments, whee guns pop out of all types of hidden places. It's very well done, and worthy of any home.

2. slog

slog New Member

That's kinda slick, but some velcro straps under a desk will hold a mossberg persuader, only a couple of bucks.

3. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

That is awesome! Concept could apply to a number of furniture items, like entertainment centers, desks, etc. Thanks for posting.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That is incredibly awesome.

5. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The old desk and secretaries had all kinds of hidden compartments. We had a roll top desk that had 16 small compartments. Some were big enough for a hand gun.

7. tri70

tri70 New Member

Did you build this? Very nice, my dad made hidden compartments in a pie safe. I will post later. More than meets the eye.....;)

8. PC167

PC167 New Member

Very nicely done... :-D

9. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I did not build this. I saw it and instantly thought of you guys.

I saw a good one where a guy epoxied a metal cigar tube to a washer, then drilled a hole into the top of his bedroom door frame, then recessed the area around the hole to accommodate the washer. He painted the washer to match the door, and by using a magnet, he could pull the tube out of the top of the door frame.
    Very good spot.

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

yup, but I still have the ever present grandkids. (8 of them are in the 1 - 8 year old range. Good Idea, but won't work for me.

11. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

very well done and very cool.

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I want to build that! But I don't have the money. :(

13. PC167

PC167 New Member

I'd like to build one too, only smaller version... My father in law has all tools available, just need some mula.

14. texaswoodworker

Yeah, I have the tools, just not the wood or the hardware. I've always wanted to do something like this.

15. PC167

PC167 New Member

Thats pricy part... I can't think of another way to talk about wood, without it making into the slips thread. Ha ha. :-D

16. texaswoodworker

Trust me, I've heard the "so you work with wood" joke a lot. :rolleyes:

I've actually though about getting a portable sawmill and milling my own wood. There is a TON of oak and cedar around here. They cost about $4000-$10000 (the one I want is closer to $6000), but they can save/earn you money if you do a lot of woodworking. You can also sell off what you don't use. :D

17. PC167

PC167 New Member

Yeah, if you could mill it yourself that would start paying for it in the end...Where's Norm Abram at when you need him :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  18. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Thats a really awesome project and I think it could be done very reasonably with some creative collecting over time. Im one of those greeny type hoarders. My best projects are all done with reclaimed lumber that Ive found here and there! My entire kitchen is built out of reclaimed 60 year milled White Oak that I scavenged from our University Library when the gutted it. When I carted it off, it was broken, stained, and in some cases nearly dumpster material but I remilled every bit of it over a years period with a small planer, belt sanders and my table saw (3 pickup truck loads).

I couldnt find a single knot in 1000 Board feet of this beautiful old growth lumber but it was rock hard and a bit tough on my Blades and belts! I build the most beautiful Mission style kitchen with 100% Oak cabinets for less than $1000 and that would have cost me nearly 15K if I had bough custom. Nobody has a clue its junk lumber, anyone that knows Hardwood looks at it and asks where I got such pristine wood, I call it my Library Oak Kitchen!

The before and after pics are kinda cool! I even went to a roofer buddy of mine and had him break all the copper backsplash from a giant roll of stock he uses on high end roofs. The entire Copper thing cost me $250, a tile one would have been $1000+. The Granite counters are from a local Rock chopper that gave me a Cash in Hand, Trust no Man and down the road you go price of $1200 for the custom cut tops (heavy and scary), dont try that one unless your very lucky or very good, (IDK which one I was).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

WoW! I've made 'Adirondack Chairs' and used to work for a pine mill. Hardwood is HARD and expen$ive to begin with! Let alone knot free. I'm impressed! A real carpenter.

20. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Awesome stuff websley!!! If anyone can undertake this mission it is you!!!