Firearms Talk banner

Your LGS report

22K views 236 replies 52 participants last post by  kfox75 
#1 ·
Figured we could start a thread of the health of our local gun shops...
I went today picked up an assortment of .22 ammo to try out in my new Mark IV. For recently released guns he had the LCP .22, S&W EZ 9mm.
I have been surprised he still had two Tommy guns, theve been on the shelf for years.
Ammo prices are good, 50 round box of 9mm is $10. He seems to always have good prices

#3 ·
My local shop had the new Ruger 57 and a new Colt Python. I think he's put them both on Gunbroker. He trades in new and used guns and seems to keep inventory fresh.
We have 3 good gun shops here, also Academy and Dunham's. They all seem to be doing well, though how Dunham's does it is a mystery to me.
What did you think of the Python?

#6 ·
We have few shops here .
One has over 600 guns in stock but the prices are to high & he is closing .
Another place has few new guns & most are on consignment . They have a smith there but prices are high & parts he orders on line the doubles the prices .
I took him a 700 action & asked how a spring went in . He said I would have to leave it there & it would be $50 . I said no thanks & showed him how it went in then left .

#13 · (Edited)
I have a local place I call my "go to". Very small shop, prices he gives me compete with inter web sites. I show him pricing I found on the web before I purchase, to give the local businesses first shot. He's even beaten Buds on a couple of my pieces.... I've recieved I couple shotguns from my father, took them to my guy to have them inspected and cleaned. He's never charges me..

Problem is, there closed at the moment. License pulled, bring investigated. Not sure why, but I'd like too..
Is there a way to fine out??

#17 ·
I live about 2 min away from my LGS which is basically a half pawn shop, half gun shop. Their guns are way over priced, and their ammo prices are okay. Shotguns shells and hunting ammo is more then what Walmart charges. Handgun ammo prices are good. About $10 for a box of
50 rounds of 9mm, same as Rifling's prices. I buy my .22lr, shells and hunting ammo from Walmart. And handgun ammo is pretty much all I buy from my LGS for now.

Usually after I pick out the ammo I'm buying before I do purchase it, I go over to their glass displays real quick and drool over all the brand new handguns that need a loving home and carrying owner. :p

#18 ·
There are several gun dealers near me,but I rarely ever buy anything from them because everything is priced MSRP or higher. Their ammo and reloading supplies are really high,and I've never understood how they stay in business.
If I need to use an FFL for a transfer,I go to a dealer about 30 miles away. They only charge $10 for transfer's,where as all the local shops charge $40
Since I load 90% of all the ammo I shoot,I buy almost all of my supplies online,and I buy in bulk. Adding the Hazmat fee,I'm still getting it a lot cheaper than what the locals charge,plus they rarely have the stuff that I buy.

#19 · (Edited)
I went in again today to my LGS to pick up some more 9mm. And take a look at some of their Glocks particular the one I'm planning on buying. (Probably not from there, but mostly to continue drooling over it lol. :p) I saw Rifling's Mark IV .22lr pistol there, cute little gun! :D

Anyhow's they've got some deals on a Del-Ton AR for $500 and a Ruger AR for like $570, not a bad deal to be honest.

As I said before, some of their guns are expensive but not all of them. Ammo prices are okay, little more pricey by just a few dollars then other places like Academy and Walmart. Speaking of Walmart, they have officially stopped selling 9mm along with all other handgun ammo. :( Now this LGS is gonna make a killer amount of money off ammo, since its like a min away from this local Walmart. Gun owners that can't buy what Walmart no longer sells, will just go a min down the road to this LGS lol.
But anyways, nice and polite folks that work there.

I bought 2 boxes of White Federal 9mm, came out to $21.62. As I was about to take out and count $.62 cents, the young lady said she'll take just $21 for it. I replied that I have the $.62 cents but just took off to put my money in their register and came back and said thank you. No receipt or baggy for my ammo and didnt mention anything about the $.62 a second time. So I replied Thanks, I appreciate it!.

So again, nice folks there, just gotta be careful on how much your spending especially if your on a budget. Or you plan on just buying some ammo and leave the door with an AR in your hands! Lol :p

Buying ammo is fast and easy. My guess is because the Walmart that's a min down the road that have now stopped selling handgun ammo, most gun owners may do it like me where its hunting ammo, shotgun shells and rimfire ammo from Walmart, and everything else ammo related is from that LGS. That's my guess, why they're not gonna worry about taking the extra few cents when you buy some ammo from them because they know that there going to be making a crap ton of money just off of ammo alone thanks to Walmart lol. And as I was about the leave, there were more people going in the store. Some of them running straight for the ammo shelves! Lol :D

#20 ·
I went in again today to my LGS to pick up some more 9mm. And take a look at some of their Glocks particular the one I'm planning on buying. (Probably not from there, but mostly to continue drooling over it lol. :p) I saw Rifling's Mark IV .22lr pistol there, cute little gun! :D

Anyhow's they've got some deals on a Del-Ton AR for $500 and a Ruger AR for like $570, not a bad deal to be honest.

As I said before, some of their guns are expensive but not all of them. Ammo prices are okay, little more pricey by just a few dollars then other places like Academy and Walmart. Speaking of Walmart, they have officially stopped selling 9mm along with all other handgun ammo. :( Now this LGS is gonna make a killer amount of money off ammo, since its like a min away from this local Walmart. Gun owners that can't buy what Walmart no longer sells, will just go a min down the road to this LGS lol.
But anyways, nice and polite folks that work there.

I bought 2 boxes of White Federal 9mm, came out to $21.62. As I was about to take out and count $.62 cents, the young lady said she'll take just $21 for it. I replied that I have the $.62 cents but just took off to put my money in their register and came back and said thank you. No receipt or baggy for my ammo and didnt mention anything about the $.62 a second time. So I replied Thanks, I appreciate it!.

So again, nice folks there, just gotta be careful on how much your spending especially if your on a budget. Or you plan on just buying some ammo and leave the door with an AR in your hands! Lol :p

Buying ammo is fast and easy. My guess is because the Walmart that's a min down the road that have now stoped selling handgun ammo, most gun owners may do it like me where its hunting ammo, shotgun shells and rimfire ammo from Walmart, and everything else ammo related is from that LGS. That's my guess, why they're not gonna worry about taking the extra few cents when you buy some ammo from them because they know that there going to be making a crap ton of money just off of ammo alone thanks to Walmart lol. And as I was about the leave, there were more people going in the store. Some of them running straight for the ammo shelves! Lol :D
Cute!?..... my Mark IV is a tactical squirrel killing machine I’ll have you know! :D:p

#23 ·
We have so many I would not know where to start. It is insane for a town our size to have so many gun stores. There are 6 within 1 mile. Some are specialized and build AR's. Extar builds their AR9 pistols here. There was a guy that specialized in AK's but I dont know if he is still building them.

#25 ·
Don’t have a very local LGS, one is 30 minutes away the other is 45, I prefer the one that is 45 minutes away because the owner and the employees are more very nice and easy to deal with. There prices are often the same if not a bit cheaper than anything I find from the big online retailers, some are higher but never by much. Ammo is never a a smoking deal but it is very fair. I like to support them.

#26 ·
My LGS, which I love, has announced their closing by the end of 2020. This is sad news but I’m happy for the owners who want to retire and travel and enjoy their grandkids. Just great people. They ha e been closed for the last three weeks doing a full inventory. I’m going to stop in on Tuesday when they open and see if they have any basket case projects they want to get off the books for a decent price.

#27 ·
No real "gun store" close. Couple of pawn shops. Farm and Home has best selection, especially handguns. Game Master is a gun/hunting/fishing store across the Mississippi River in Quincey Illinois but a freaking hassle to buy a gun thanks to Illinois' stupid laws. Walmart has a total of 15 long guns tonight (a few really cheap).

Fellow up the river just opened an indoor range in a town of maybe 300 people, Told me he had a little over $1 million invested. State of the art, really. Hope he makes it.

#29 ·
No real "gun store" close. Couple of pawn shops. Farm and Home has best selection, especially handguns. Game Master is a gun/hunting/fishing store across the Mississippi River in Quincey Illinois but a freaking hassle to buy a gun thanks to Illinois' stupid laws. Walmart has a total of 15 long guns tonight (a few really cheap).

Fellow up the river just opened an indoor range in a town of maybe 300 people, Told me he had a little over $1 million invested. State of the art, really. Hope he makes it.
Yikes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.