Firearms Talk banner

161 - 180 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
my normal online go to has been targetsportsusa. Noticed they have been pretty high and dry for a couple weeks on stuff I check. 9mm/223/556/762x39/22lr

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
What's going on today: The run on primers continues. Unbelievable. I'm able to find powder. Seems like there is a fair supply of powder. The exception is Alliant. The supply of firearms is spotty in local stores.

I shoot with guys that had good supplies of reloading supplies but are getting antsy. They are talking about what may be coming around the corner. I'm beginning to feel the pinch in several shooting areas. I'm getting antsy!

·
Registered
166 Posts
stuck my head into Dunhams today. This was about the emptiest ive seen the shelves.

That being said, the 762x39 and 762x54 is holding up pretty well lol. Up around 50c/shot

There was some 17HMR and 17 Hornet and some 22 short..all of which has been there for a while. So obviously not many local peeps shoot those.

There were a few boxes of the expensive Hornady 'Critical Defense' 45.

That was abooouuuuttttttt it as far as locked up behind the glass stuff. no 22lr, no 223/556, no 9mm, no 40

To add insult to injury there was some Wolf Military Classic 762x39 where the 223 was supposed to be lol.

Even the shelves of hunting ammo had more bare spots than ive seen so far. I realize its deer hunting season of course.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Went to the range to zero my new AR pistol and figure out why wifey's shooting so badly with her favorite S&W pistol at our last visit. Success on both tasks.

She was shooting even worse today, so I turned on the laser to see what was happening on the target. We figured it out - forgetting to take up the trigger slack.

The place was super busy. Lotsa folks either buying new guns or picking them up after the waiting period. Every employee was engaged, and there were a lot of them.

They won't sell common caliber ammo except to folks going in to the range and even that's in limited supply. No 9mm or 5.56 NATO ammo but I got 40 rounds of hollow point 380 auto for wifey's pistol 'cuz I could. More is more - about 80 cents a round which wasn't bad all things considered.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
That reminds me...... time to wipe down and load a few more mags with hollow point.

Then buy more mags.

·
Premium Member
11,932 Posts
I hit the local Stock & Field, formally Big R in Lima, Ohio. No .22, no pistol ammo, shotgun ammo is available out the wazoo. Slugs were a little thin due to deer gun season starting after Thanksgiving.

Rifle ammo consisted of a few 270, 25-06, 30-06, 30-30, 350L, and a couple others I can't recall. Asking for 223 would have been laughable if there was someone at the counter.

If someone wanted a pistol, there was actually a decent selection of small to full size to choose from. I didn't ask if ammo was available with a purchase of a pistol.

Then there was a metric crap ton of Yugo 7.62x25 service pistols for $250. Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
CAL Ranch had one row of pistols where there had been three. Rifles on the shelf were bolt action or lever. Ammo was wiped out. I did notice they had some of the Tulas 7.62x39mm 40 round boxes - two months ago I was buying them there for $9.99 a box, now up to $18 a box. CFE 223 powder in stock, went home with one. If you load 6.5 Creedmore they had your powder, but of course no primers and bullets were wiped darn near clean. However, to be fair, this store usually had very few primers even in good times.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
So.... went back today and got 8 more 380 auto mags for wifey's pistol and 120 rounds of 5.56 which replaces what we shot yesterday. Between the 2 of us we were limited to 100 rounds (50 each) but we know the manager.

Nice.

Mags were regular price (good) but I didn't look at the price of the ammo. I think I'm getting to where I don't care.

Busy place, every day.

·
Registered
166 Posts
went thru local Dunhams again today. Same theme but even moreso...

no 223/556/9mm/22lr

shocker, a few boxes of 38 special

maybe 10 boxes, 2 different brands of 10mm

tons of 7.62x39. 40rd Tula, 20rd Tula, 20rd Red Army Standard, 20 rd Wolf Military Classic and, lo and behold, 20rd Geco. I got 2 of the Mil Classic and 2 of them Geco.

The Geco is brass case. I think ill set it aside for now. I dont want to shock my 762 upper by putting brass thru it. My upper would be like "whats that??"

side note. I have not seen any signs of actual GUN shortages. Shelfs and cases are jammed full. Now, my understanding is that SELECTION might be limited. In other words you might not be able to say "order me a thus and such specific gun". But as far as guns in general I havent seen any signs of shortages.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
trying to find anything in 6.5 grendel, whether it is loaded ammo, primers, powder, bullets or brass
it has gone the route of toilet paper here in Phoenix

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I mainly make quick stops for powder at one place for powder. No primers. They have a few firearms. Mainly Black Rifles type rifles and gear. This store is a branch of large area reloading company. From the talk in the shop and in the shooting community they have been hit by hard by the primer famine. There is no danger over spending due to high prices on most stuff.

The other place I go has a nice indoor range. I am maintaining a yearly membership. They have Black Rifles and gear and maintain no reloading inventory. This company is able to maintain a quickly moving stock of handguns. A really decent place with courteous staff. High Prices keep me out of trouble. Weekly I go there to use the range.

No rimfire ammo any where. For the people who depend on factory ammo the picture is pretty grim.Cartridges for the range customers are rationed out. Some high priced reloaded cartridges are showing up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Some guns at most places. No ammo. I'll ad that we're down to 5 shops from 11 over the last couple years. PAX

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
All the slots for rifles and shotguns on the wall were full. The pistol cases were mostly full but there were a few empty slots.

Picked up 200 rounds of 9mm - 100 for me and 100 for Wifey. There's a 2 box limit, so bringing her along doubled my take home amount. Paid 40 cents a round. Pretty good all things considered.

I may go back tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Just came back from my LGS, really low on guns and ammo. Accessories like holsters and stuff, pretty well stocked.

161 - 180 of 237 Posts