Your LGS report

Discussion in 'Firearm's Industry' started by Rifling82, Jan 11, 2020.

1. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Stopped by my LGS last week. Nothing that I needed or was looking for but wanted to know how they are doing. Husband and wife owners/operators and nice people. It is a small shop (https://www.battlefieldfirearms.com/) and they have been my go-to FFL for internet order transfers. They said they were doing very well and in the 20 minutes or so that I was in there looking around, they had two different customers new to the shop and new to firearms come in, looking for a hand gun they could use for self defense and open to the owners' suggestions/recommendations. There was also one return customer (a regular) that pretty much came in for the same reason I did, and to talk suppressors.

As far as ammo for sale goes: zero .380ACP, one box of .32ACP, zero 9mm, zero 5.56/.223, zero .22LR/WMR, one box of .40S&W, a few boxes of .45ACP, and the rest what I would consider "odd" calibers. Once the customers cleared out, I asked him about .380 and 9mm. They can't get it from their suppliers and they saved a box or two behind the counter for a gun sale in that caliber. The ONLY .22 ammo was about four 25-round boxes of CCI shot shells in WMR.

Anyway, I bought a Gadsden flag and some cleaning brushes to at least support them. Would have also bought a "Thin Blue Line" American flag but they were out.

Things would normally be very tough for them, but they're also an authorized seller for SilencerCo and that business seems to be thriving.

2. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

I agree, I wish I was a gun owner several years ago with the same knowledge I have now. I would have more ammo then I can count. But I've owned guns for 3 years now. And I had so much to learn in those 3 years and I learned a lot, my mind wasn't on stockpiling ammo during those times but rather a thousand other things that a new gun owner had to learn. I've acquired quite a bit of ammo over the years but just not enough if I wanted to shoot all the time.

Oldoutlaw and Rifling82 like this.

3. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Arctic Ammo has some higher end .44 mag, 454 kind of stuff. A lot of .38 Super and other less popular rounds. Had a decent pile of Federal .223, I bought a couple boxes of PMC .380 fmj for TLMrs' PPK/S at $20/ box they had 5-6 cases of that.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I about crapped myself when I walked into the Stock and Field store today. The ammo aisle was almost full.... of shotgun ammo. There was three rifle calibers, .270 and don't remember the other two. No pistol ammo, and one, just one 50 count box of cci .22lr suppressor ready 45 grain.

Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  5. PANDEMIC

That sounds about right of what I see all the time. Everyone buys all the buckshot and slugs but no one touches the birdshot. Because every time I go buy a few boxes of birdshot, they're individual boxes and cases everywhere of that stuff.

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Went to the LGS today, picked up some parts to build an AR9 pistol.... No 9mm, 45acp, 40, 357.... he did have some .223 and 38 special

PANDEMIC likes this.
  7. PANDEMIC

how much was he charging for the .223?

8. Rifling82

i didn’t even look

PANDEMIC likes this.
  9. PANDEMIC

Gotcha, just wondering

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. G_Whitcomb

G_Whitcomb Active Member

Stopped in yesterday to kill some time, saw a lot more ammo on the shelves. Quite a few 1k of 45 auto,223,556 and some others I didn’t look at. Was going to ask the price, thinking of the cash in my wallet and thought nope. I’m sitting well enough at the current prices.
    Cancelled my order with Sportsman’s Guide on my 1k of 556 I had locked in at $398 last week. They keep bumping the shipping date, January 24th 2021 now. I’m sitting on 2500 or so and I’ll take my chances that things will normalize soon.

CZ Newb, towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  11. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Did some range time. Limited ammo available - they'll only sell me 5 20 round boxes for the range. I bought 3, but it was hollow point which I've been looking for. I have plenty of FMJ range ammo already.

Also picked up a BCM full lower kit. Got the only one there. Luckily I found a good Daniel Defense full upper kit online. I'm well on my way to an AR pistol.

Except I may have to wait up to 10 days to pick up my lower. Some crap about state something or other...... :mad:

S'OK though. It'll take a while to get my other parts anyway.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  12. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

ive seen things picking up slightly lately. seems im seeing a bit more 9mm and some variety in 223 and 556 stuff available. Lo and behold Dunhams actually had some 38 special! lol

PANDEMIC, G_Whitcomb and Rifling82 like this.
  13. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Active Member

My sister had just finished her Carry Class doing very well. She used the smallest revolver I had. It was my 6" Model 19-5. We were looking for a revolver she could handle. One of her friends suggested a business that had used Smith 4" 64-3's. The store is good sized with branches in other cities.

It was jammed up with people. This outfit out plenty of handguns but the stampede was on. The 64's were in very poor condition and not worth $300.00 asking price. They had been slammed for ammo.

The guy that spoke to us suggested coming in early Monday before the excitement started. We'll have to shop further. This is the worst of all possible times to be handgun shopping. Actually, shopping for any firearm. As a last resort I do have my traditional flintlock match rifles. Got plenty of flints etc. For a handgun, the Ruger Old Army will do. :eek:

CZ Newb and Rifling82 like this.
  14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

My local gun shops are like this:

primer1 and Mowgli Terry like this.
  15. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Active Member

Boy, Howdy does that ever bring back memories. I'm thinking all those guys are all gone now. My LGS is crying the blues but no where near that bad!

16. PANDEMIC

Just came back from the LGS,

Last week they had like 100 boxes of white federal 5.56 and pmc .223 and another brand I forgot the name. $12 a box for 20 rounds and again, very well stocked. Same with 9mm. And no limit on ammo, buy as much as you want.

Anyways just came back, now they have like 20 boxes left and limiting 1 box per person, and now it’s $14 a box. So I just got 1 box. The LGS hasn't even been open for a full week and already they’re cleared out. Well thank god, I bought from them an additional 140 rounds to stock up on. Bought 40 rounds from their old location, and 100 rounds from their new one.

Looks like ammo being hard to find just got a lot worse.

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Got my lower at the LGS last night. No changes on ammo, but they had everything else I wanted.

Still filling empty ammo shelves with range bags and hats. So many hats that they're now 2 for $15, so I bought a couple.

PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  18. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

just passed thru Dunhams. Tons of 7.62x30 and 7.62x54 as usual.

Tuesday the 223/556 shelf was empty but today a good variety of 223/556 stuff. I think their truck comes in on Wed and one other day weekly. I bought 1 box of Norma Match King 77g for $19.99 but I cant see me shooting it lol. I might wait until I start reloading so i can use that expensive brass again. They had some 223 Tula Steel, some 556 Hornady Frontier and maybe a box or two of PMC Xtac 62 and PMC Bronze55g

no 9mm, no 22lr, no 38 etc

Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  19. Rifling82

Went to both my local gun shops today.... First one was bad, hardly any guns or ammo
    Second one was better, he had plenty of guns but was pretty low on ammo, lowest I’ve seen so far, I didn’t buy much, just a few AR mags ($13 a piece)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    PANDEMIC likes this.
  20. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought Well-Known Member

Plenty of guns. No ammo.

Oldoutlaw, PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.