Your LGS report

Discussion in 'Firearm's Industry' started by Rifling82, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn’t go to my LGS this last week so I don’t have a report. What’s everyone seeing (or not seeing)

OLD Ron and Oldoutlaw like this.
  2. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Mostly nothing. At least what I would be interested in. Ammo or revolver.
    Fortunately I learned 12 or so years ago to keep my ammo stash topped off all the time. A bit more 22lr ammo and a 22 mag revolver would be nice right now.

Caveman Jim, OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.

3. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

Dunhams has had right much 22lr and 22short. Walmart had some 22lr

Other lgs has had some 223/556 as they were limiting it to 3 per customer etc. I got the last 3 the other day lol.

I also see stuff like 308, 6.5CM, 30-06 and other "bigger" stuff...but of course its pretty pricey. See many people at the ranges shooting 308 so they are getting it somehwere

Seems I see lots of 17hmr in local stores

Ive seen right much 40s&w but I dunno if that was still on shelves because of high pricing or what. (I dont know much about 40s&w stuff)

I see a few boxes of 357 here and there but no 38 to speak of

9mm is pretty scarce. Lgs had some Sellier and Bellot for like $19 and it had been on the shelf for a while like that lol.

I dont know 5cents about shotguns and I see tons of "12 gauge" in Dunhams but a friend tells me its all bird shot, not buck shot

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    primer1 and Rifling82 like this.
  4. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Same thing in my area. A couple of the larger shops have had pallets of 12ga and 20ga, but almost none of it buck shells. It's that time of year (for bird shot), but buyers seem to have stripped the places bare of buck in every gun shop I've been to in the past 4mos or so.

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  5. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

I looked a little closer and I see why there is a lot of 40S&W on the shelves at dunhams.....because its like $44.95 for 50 rds lol

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. Rifling82

Trying to conserve inventory I see

OLD Ron and CZ Newb like this.
  7. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Active Member

A friend reported one the local large stores is seriously price gouging. Not too long ago you could get some really good deals. The price on some of the former good deals has doubled. What a bunch of crap!

Caveman Jim, OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  8. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

9. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

10. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Rifling82, PeeJay1313 and PANDEMIC like this.
  11. windjammer69

windjammer69 Well-Known Member

I have run into a brick wall with one of my local gun stores. I purchased a handgun kit that is a 22 cal. conversion on Oct. 5 only to find out even though it was in stock that it would not be shipped untill Oct. 14. This make the arrival for me October 19 because of there is no UPS delivery in my area on weekends.
    First off to take 14 days to get a product that is in stock, well I think it is a bit much.
    Second I have just found that I have to be out of town for 7 days, no one to sign for the delivery starting Oct. 18.
    I called LGS and explained about the problem, and their response was that when UPS returned the order that they would charge me 10% for the return and then shipping and insurance to resend it to me, some where around $75.
    I ask if since they had not shipped it yet if they could delay the shipment untill Oct. 23, but was told "NO" , it would be shipped on the 14. I ask if I canceled the order and then reordered when I was back home and was informed it would be $75.
    I am just about ready to just stop payment all together by having the creditcard step in. And let the LGS just GTH.

12. windjammer69

windjammer69 Well-Known Member

It appears as though that the LGS has responded. The rep that I talked indicated that they would not help, but the barrel kit was shipped out three days ahead of schedule.
    So my faith has been restored, it is good to know that there is someone trying to help consumers.

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

Cabelas ABQ had many AR platform rifles, none less than $1,000. many shotguns, no Maverick Security Sixes, my first choice. I did pick up a .410 single shot, for the plethora of quail in my yard.

no pistol ammo. notalotta .22. no .223 or .300BLK visible

14. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

I just checked my LGS yesterday, haven’t been there in like 3 months. They’re still out of 9mm, .223/5.56. Although they still have shotgun shells, some .22, .38 sp, .45 auto, 7.62 and a lot of hunting ammo like .270, 300 win mag etc. But nothing of the popular stuff.

They told me they get .223/5.56 now and again but it’s random. It pretty much just comes when it comes.

So that LGS is about 10 min from me. And theres like 1 hardware store and a feed store also about 10 min from me, both sell ammo. The hardware store, I was there like a week ago, they still have shotgun shells, some 40 S&W and some hunting ammo, everything else is picked clean.

Now this feed store I went to yesterday as well, I haven’t been there in like a year, didn't even know they had ammo till I looked around. They have some 7.62, 44 magnum, lots of 40 S&W in bags. And a good amount of .223 both Winchester and Fiocchi. Was gonna buy a few boxes and of course their price gouged to crap, I mean why wouldn’t they lol. $26 a box for 20 rounds. Nah, I’m good.

I went home and signed my email for immediate notifications on every box of .223/5.56 that PSA has. And I’ll just wait till they have some back in stock.

15. Rifling82

Don’t know why I’m asking, I know the answer, how are the prices?

PANDEMIC likes this.
  16. PANDEMIC

some are okay, like the 7.62 are red army standard steel case at $10 a box for 20. And they had a lot of that stuff in stock. Shot gun shells are $11 for #8 (25 shells) Hunting ammo is like $20 - $30 for 20 rounds. .45 auto is like I think $30 for 50 rounds. 40 S&W is I think $26 for 50 rounds.

Some are fine, others are just ridiculous. I just don’t like how that guy at the feed store wants $26 a box for 20 rounds of .223. I mean he told me he’s barely getting any ammo in. But IMO there’s a difference when your pricing ammo to make a business/profit and then there’s doing it because your greedy. I would’ve bought maybe 1 or 2 boxes if they were like $15 a box. Definitely more if the price was less. But at $26 for 20 rounds, at that point that just tells me he’s greedy. No wonder he’s got like 15 boxes, no one’s buying it at that price.

I understand it’s a pandemic going on and stuff, but pricing .223 at that price for just 20 rounds, your just taking advantage of some people who may end up paying that amount because they can’t find it anywhere else.

But oh well, it is what it is.

17. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

That’s not a bad price at all these days for a 500+ brick, a few years ago they were getting $27 for a 325 rounds...:eek:
    I can remember buying the 500 round bricks for $8-9 years ago.
    There is nothing wrong with copper plated bullets, in fact I prefer them.;)

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I will never understand how people that have owned firearms for years and have never stocked up on ammo & reloading supplies.
    Then they freak out, and cry & moan about not being able to find any, or cry & moan about having to pay crazy high prices for it.

You've had several years to acquire a lot of ammo & reloading supplies at really low prices, yet you didn't take advantage of all of that time.

19. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

This right here should be brought to the clerks attention as to why you will not shop there ever again -+ spread the news... If people don’t then it will continue to happen.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  20. PANDEMIC

I’ve only bought chicken feed from there because it’s cheaper then the other store I normally go to. But I’m sure he know’s that he’ll make some profit off of it which is why he priced them so high. Because if every website is either empty or backordered and every GS is empty as well. Someone or several people eventually will clear out those shelves soon.