Your LGS report

Discussion in 'Firearm's Industry' started by Rifling82, Jan 11, 2020.

1. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

My LGS said after this all settles. To expect a lot of like new guns to be on his used guns pages.

2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Nah. Even dolts will realize the utility, once everything goes to pot.

They're all too often of the "Laws for thee but not for me" crowd. They'll find a way to screw the system out of its "rewards" for their legislative mob mentality. 'Cause they'll want some sort of protection, despite having done their level best to screw everyone out of exactly that.

Rifling82 likes this.

3. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll be waiting..

PANDEMIC, Rifling82 and PaBushMan like this.
  4. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

I would imagine that all four of MY LGS would fit neatly into the bathroom of any one of yours, with room to spare, so I'm keeping my gob firmly shut.:cool:

5. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

It's been about a month ago that burglars smashed the door at our farm and home store, smashed a pistol case and made off with a pile of guns - about three minutes total, mostly pistols. Haven't heard any progress on the theft. Lots of LGS's clear cases at night, loop cables through tirgger guards, etc. They didn't. Then again, this is the store that had to get a child out of a displayed gun safe when a sibling swung the door shut, so go figure.

alsaqr, Rifling82 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  6. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Member

There are a few brick and mortar gun stores holding on locally. There are two places that sell reloading supplies with some pretty decent prices. I find myself doing more shopping on Amazon than running all over town looking for stuff. I'm more into reloading and bullet casting those days. For bullet casting it's mail order by necessity.

Plans are to do some downsizing on the guns. The concern is about too much money tied up in guns I don't use. The more this stuff piles up security become more difficult.

G66enigma and Rifling82 like this.
  7. G66enigma

One local shop just outside of town (well, a "major" U.S. metro), here, has a warehouse-type primary building of ~75K sqft, plus a warehouse on the other side holding all of its off-floor inventory. Can probably hold ~350 people at once, and they've probably got ~15+ staff on the floor at any one time. No clue how many sidearms, rifles, and how much ammo they've got, by the pallet, in the warehouse. Big place. And, jam-packed daily. I watched a full pallet of 50rd boxes of 9mm Luger ammunition shrink by the moment. In about ~15mins, it had neared the bottom of the stack, all limited to three boxes per person. Busy, big place.

Of course, most of the "local" shops are vastly smaller. Some are no bigger than a dozen phone booths, in terms of floor space.

Very glad that I live in a place where it's neither a shame nor a crime to own a range of arms.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  8. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

It's not a crime here, so long as you do it legally, like around six million shotgunners and almost a million other rifle, carbine and handgun shooters do, and who enjoy their shooting in the more than 1500 gun clubs here.

Nor is it a shame, either, with many homes and clubs here in UK with walls lined with cups and medals - some of them Golds and silvers from the Olympics. British shooting teams have well over a hundred and fifty years of competitive shooting success behind them, and the halls of international trap and skeet and Olympic Trap shooting are lined with the photos of British shooters from the age of fourteen up.

If it was a shame then the order books of every British gun maker would not be full into the foreseeable future - for many Americans, impatient to get their hands on a Purdey, or a Holland and Holland, Churchill or Wm Evans without the couple of years' wait, second-hand is the only way to go. [John Rigby makes a cheaper grade of sporting rifle, more or less off the peg, for around $10K, plus optics of course.]

I guess there's no shame or crime involved with buying a gun from a company, like Holland and Holland, whose patron is Her Majesty the Queen.

G66enigma and Rifling82 like this.
  9. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

Ron Petersons, ABQ. plenty of pistols, many blue steel and hardwood rifles, too many AR7s. no scary black guns.

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Member

I went by to get some Shooters World 4350. LGS had jacked the price up $5.00. I'm saving up for a mail order. There were several people hanging around who may have been employees. A good looking girl who was higher than a cats back was putting the smooze on everybody. It was a good show before she was kicked out. The show almost made up for the price hike. The local Big Box had no powder.

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I cut them all short, I speak with the owner at my LGS.. He knows me by name.. There a reason.

12. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you drinking Jack again PeeJay?

13. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Member

BS:Sometimes one needs to have a strong stomach to put up with the crap in a gun store. My favorite is the guru. If you a brought up flying a Sopwith Camel this guy would have done it before you and much better. Years ago one of these gurus low rated Lee products. The reason was that the Lee products are die cast. Many of the brick and mortar stores have gone south due to mail order and brokers. Why? High prices and no service. It's easier to shop on Amazon that run around town looking for an accessory etc.

Rifling82 likes this.
  14. G66enigma

Clearly, England has a long history of hand-made (and manufactured) excellence when it comes to arms. From bullets to bombers, and everything in between.

Was speaking generally, of the basis government and people the world over look askance at people who are "those sorts" (who shoot arms). It's often not one of the most popular things, given they're "killing" tools.

Though, as you say, in many places there is a long history of excellence in their design, manufacture and use, at least within a certain segment of the population.

Getting a "proper" set of shotguns, rifles or sidearms and getting "properly fitted" still has a great meaning, to those looking for the best. And, often, that means: England, or Italy, where the tradition still is held in high regard.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    tac foley likes this.
  15. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

One lgs gets his ammo in on Friday afternoon and puts it out Saturday morning. It was gone in 15 minutes. $10K worth. The local Big 5 has theirs out Thursday morning. There is a line. I caught Sportsmans Guide with some Hornady 30 grain 22 mag at normal prices so I have some coming. They have been holding the price down and are back ordered on just about everything.

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I haven't been in a gun shop or gun show in the last 7+ years. all the guns that I ever wanted and that "tickled my fancy", I bought already

18. DHall_37

DHall_37 Member

I’m actually from very close to that area, and all the popular rounds like .556/223 and 9mm are non existent at all the gun shops. I also went to a gun show recently in the area and someone was selling 1000rds of 5.56 for $1000 it’s absolutely crazy! I managed to grab about 85 or so rounds of 5.56 and 223 and unfortunately I definitely over paid for it. I also was on the hunt for some 6.5 Carcano and managed to only find 8 rounds.

Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  19. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

I hear you man, I overpaid for some of my ammo as well. But I think of it this way, at least it gives me peace of mind knowing that I have it. And in case ammo shortage gets even worse then it is now, I'm glad I payed just a bit more because I may not find any for quite some time. Or if I do find any, It'll be price gouged even further then before, kind of like how you saw that guy at the gun show you went to and had 1000rds for $1000. That guy has nothing to loose because its his ammo, he just wants to make a quick buck because he knows calibers like .223/5.56 and 9mm are really popular right now which is why their hard to find and their price gouged like crazy.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Rifling82 likes this.
  20. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Inventory is way low.
    Only 4 boxes of 45ACP available.
    No 9mm
    Got a free Savage baseball cap