Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 120 Posts
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's caliber size(30.06)

precludes the B.A.R. from being listed in the

"submachine gun" category.

But, if the selection were opened to full-size MGs, for sheer portability and control, the B.A.R. is hard to beat...
Well yea...If you read the post you would have seen that I said it was my favorite all around WEAPON of WWII, in response to Rusty's comment that his favorite was the M1 Carbine. I know the BAR is .30-06 lol

Translation--What is this sh!t?
This **** is what killed half the soldiers in your command, mein herr!:D

BTW, thaT's a Lanchester, not a Sten. The magazine is inserted from the left side on a Stwen, not the bottom.:p
Actually...It's more or less of a troll picture. The officer is holding an MP3008..a German copy of the Sten. I guess it just shows that it's an effective weapon if the Germans wanted to copy it, BUT they DID improve it by turning the mag well to face bottom.

-My big book of guns

my favorite, the Thompson! 45acp!
+1. Had one in Vietnam, looked like it had been around since WWII. Didn't trust it enough to take in the field, but it was fun taking pictures with and to wow the REMF's in Saigon.

We had a few old Thompsons and M3's in the "evidence" lockers, that some smart old officers and sergeants kept around...Got to get some range time with them. I lie the M3 Grease Gun. It just has that gnarly old, built for ONE reason look and feel. With the slower cyclic rate of the two...it was surprisingly controllable and accurate for an SMG that only cost about $14.50 to produce. The Sten and Sterling are also pretty cool but I didn't care for the horizonatally mounted magazines the brits were so fond of.

I never got to shoot the PPSH or a Schmeisser...so, I can't speak intelligently on those two.

The Sten and Sterling are also pretty cool but I didn't care for the horizonatally mounted magazines the brits were so fond of.

If you ever get the chance to do a lot of shooting with those side mounted mags, you'll come to love them.

Especially prone shooting. You can put your chin clear down in the dirt, and give the enemy a very small target compared to a person shooting an Uzi or MP5.:)

If you ever get the chance to do a lot of shooting with those side mounted mags, you'll come to love them.

Especially prone shooting. You can put your chin clear down in the dirt, and give the enemy a very small target compared to a person shooting an Uzi or MP5.:)
I have shot them, and that is why I added my opinion of them. Both the Sten and the Sterling are prone to jamming and failure if one uses the magazine as a grip, which I have noticed many will do.

This isn't about "Like what I like, or you're wrong..." It's just about opinion, and I respect yours and your like and dislike...I just don't HIT THE LIKE BUTTON for Sten, Sterling, or any side mounted magazine subguns.

Never had any experience with it... But I'm curious about the Ppsh-41...doesn't look like there's really a comfortable place to put your front hand. The soldier in the video makes it look easy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq63GlFiCKE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq63GlFiCKE[/ame]

I have shot them, and that is why I added my opinion of them. Both the Sten and the Sterling are prone to jamming and failure if one uses the magazine as a grip, which I have noticed many will do.

This isn't about "Like what I like, or you're wrong..." It's just about opinion, and I respect yours and your like and dislike...I just don't HIT THE LIKE BUTTON for Sten, Sterling, or any side mounted magazine subguns.
Certainly a lot will depend on what you're personally comfortable with.

And I agree that holding the weapon by the magazine is incorrect technique, regardless of what they do in the movies.:p

Perhaps my love of the Sterling is based, to a great extent, on the fact that it was one of the first automatic weapons that I had the opportunity to use extensively.

Today, of course, improvements in technology make the MP-5, or the P90 the SMG of choice for virtually everyone. And I must admit that as much as I dislike a magazine sticking out of the bottom of the weapon, I would probably choose the MP5 over the Sterling for serious social shooting.

I don't have experience with the full auto P90, but I have a semi-auto PS90, and from shooting it extensively, it looks like the P90 just might be a good candidate to replace the MP5 as number one.

Today, of course, improvements in technology make the MP-5, or the P90 the SMG of choice for virtually everyone. And I must admit that as much as I dislike a magazine sticking out of the bottom of the weapon, I would probably choose the MP5 over the Sterling for serious social shooting.
Perhaps the Sterling was way before it's time.

Just think, the homies can turn it 90 degrees,

and the mag is on the bottom!:D

Well there is a lot of great machine gun designs that were used during WWII and every side had good ones
The u.s had the Thompson, the grease gun, Germans had the mp40, the British had the sten but I still think my favorite would have to be the Russian ppsh-41

Jkl-28 said:
Well there is a lot of great machine gun designs that were used during WWII and every side had good ones
The u.s had the Thompson, the grease gun, Germans had the mp40, the British had the sten but I still think my favorite would have to be the Russian ppsh-41
Yeah the posh is nice. I've never used anything with that ammo, is it a little underpowered?

AZL said:

I like the horizontal grip, don't know why... Sometimes on an ar or quad rail guns, I'll mount one on the side, for the heck of it.

41 - 60 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.