Firearms Talk banner

Your favorite WWII sub machinegun?

12K views 119 replies 52 participants last post by  RustyShackleford101 
#1 ·
What is your favorite WWII sub machinegun?

#11 ·
axxe55 said:
my favorite, the Thompson! 45acp!
+1, ive always been partial to american made

I do like the ppsh too

#14 ·
Just because it came first doesn't mean it's better. STG44 VS AK47...

Suomi KP31, Look at the gun! The PPSH41 is a copy!! 10 years later!!!
The Finns did a number on Soviet forces in the Winter war.
http://world.guns.ru/smg/fi/suomi-m31-e.html

And I still stand by that while the Tommy gun is an American classic, The Grease Gun is better.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUSYXNGLh-U"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUSYXNGLh-U[/ame]

#16 ·
Just because it came first doesn't mean it's better. STG44 VS AK47...

And I still stand by that while the Tommy gun is an American classic, The Grease Gun is better.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUSYXNGLh-U
the Thompson is better IMO because everything was machined on it vs. being stamped like the M3 Grease Gun. this equated to being cheaper and easier to manufacture vs. the time and expense of machining parts. and from an economic standpoint, in war the M3 was an excellent firearm for what it was designed for. and even after seventy years, it's still cool too.

#18 ·
the Thompson is better IMO because everything was machined on it vs. being stamped like the M3 Grease Gun. this equated to being cheaper and easier to manufacture vs. the time and expense of machining parts. and from an economic standpoint, in war the M3 was an excellent firearm for what it was designed for. and even after seventy years, it's still cool too.
Don't get me wrong, I love the tommy gun. But it's not very ergonomic, it's rate of fire is too fast, and from what my Uncle tells me, it jammed alot in inclimate conditions.

#20 ·
Don't get me wrong, I love the tommy gun. But it's not very ergonomic, it's rate of fire is too fast, and from what my Uncle tells me, it jammed alot in inclimate conditions.
probably had some problems with the fact it was made from machined parts and the tolerances were tighter, so getting dirt into it, could cause problems. the M3 also had it's teething problems in the beginning, and they made some minor changes, becoming the M3A1. it just didn't get into the war until close to the end of it, but was still used in the Korean War and also to some degree even the Viet Nam war.

#21 ·
probably had some problems with the fact it was made from machined parts and the tolerances were tighter, so getting dirt into it, could cause problems. the M3 also had it's teething problems in the beginning, and they made some minor changes, becoming the M3A1. it just didn't get into the war until close to the end of it, but was still used in the Korean War and also to some degree even the Viet Nam war.
Eh. So was the tommy gun in one way or another :rolleyes: the fact that both of em made it to Vietnam says something about em both.

#22 ·
Eh. So was the tommy gun in one way or another :rolleyes: the fact that both of em made it to Vietnam says something about em both.
well anytime you take a firearm into battle, and use it under the worst of conditions, you will find it's weakness' and problems.

another one of my favorites, the M2 50 BMG! look at it's service history! now their is one that has a battle proven record. been i service since 1921 and still used today. used as a stationary weapon, vehicle mounted on various types from jeeps to tanks, used on naval craft, mounted in many different types of aircraft, and has also even been used in single shot mode as a sniper weapon! pretty vesatile weapon.

#24 ·
For overall quality I gotta say the Thompson. Just a beautiful weapon.

One of my South Vietnamese guys had an M3 greasegun. I told him we'd get him a 16 instead. He liked the M3 because it was lighter and like most of the SVs he was a small dude. But I took an old flak jacket and set it up on a rice paddy dike and gave it a burst with the M3...and was able to pick all the spent rounds out of the jacket lining. That convinced him he needed something with more penetration so we got him a 16.

#25 · (Edited)
well anytime you take a firearm into battle, and use it under the worst of conditions, you will find it's weakness' and problems.

another one of my favorites, the M2 50 BMG! look at it's service history! now their is one that has a battle proven record. been i service since 1921 and still used today. used as a stationary weapon, vehicle mounted on various types from jeeps to tanks, used on naval craft, mounted in many different types of aircraft, and has also even been used in single shot mode as a sniper weapon! pretty vesatile weapon.

You got that right, bro, Ma Deuce--energizer bunny of MGs :D I had a couple of opportunities to fire a truck-mounted one in contact and man, I felt like Georgie Patton when I hit those butterflies. Big casings clanging all over the metal truck bed, gun chuggin, big-*** tracers arcing out. This particular one was mounted on a big steel ring just above and behind the cab of a six-by. you stood in the ring with a headset on and could go 360.

(I guess I just told a couple of war stories, my bad. Not trying to brag about anything, just had some experiences that relate.)

#26 ·
You got that right, bro, Ma Deuce--energizer bunny of MGs :D I had a couple of opportunities to fire a truck-mounted one in contact and man, I felt like Georgie Patton when I hit those butterflies. Big casings clanging all over the metal truck bed, gun chuggin, big-*** tracers arcing out. This particular one was mounted on a big steel ring just above and behind the cab of a six-by. you stood in the ring with a headset on and could go 360.

(I guess I just told a couple of war stories, my bad. Not trying to brag about anything, just had some experiences that relate.)
no complaints from me! i would love to have the chance to squeeze the trigger on a M2 50BMG! i would shoot it till the ammo ran out and have a s#&t eating grin on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.