Your favorite restaurant

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, May 11, 2018.

1. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

We have some travellers here. If I were passing through your city, town, burgh, wide spot, where you recommend I hork down a decent plateful?
    Anything from a shack to fine dining. Inquiring minds want to know.

To start, if you're ever in Jupiter, fl. I would recommend Dune Dog.

The quintessential dog shack! Open air, good food, great milk shakes, and of course beer, bottle and tap!
    download (2).jpeg dunedogfootlonggraulich.jpg

Of course, there's more than dogs Fish plates, lobster rolls, burgers, and more.
    It's a great place to spend a lunch hour.

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The Twin Dragon

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Chef Henry's in Acworth, GA.

4. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

In West Palm Beach, Maison Carlos.
    Intimate fine dining. French and Northern Italian mainly. Zucchini chips on the table to snack on while you peruse the menu. Great carpaccio and veal. After dinner, a limoncello.
    A special place for a date!

5. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

I can't do it. Just one?

Italian - RigaTonies
    Vietnamese - Chandler Pho
    Moslem/Middle Eastern - Princess
    Chinese - Singing Panda
    German - Bavarian Point
    Swedish/Polish - Beaver Choice
    Korean - Gogi
    Sea Food - Knocked Knee
    Mexican - Moreno's
    American - Hoosiers

This is like asking you which gun (or child) is your favorite. Many duplicates but just listed go to places and none above are chain restaurants.

But if you want a hot dog we go for the chilli cheese at Sonics (chain restaurant).

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Lima, Ohio:
    -- Kewpee hamburgers: old time burger place made with fresh, locally raised beef, buns made locally too. Excellent pie. Three locations
    -- Happy Days: another old time burger place, 50s style. Local chain with several locations. Fresh fish.
    -- Lulu's diner: big portion breakfast and lunch only
    -- Casa lu al: Italian/American fare. When you leave the parking lot, you can burp and waive at the prisoners.
    -- Hollander on Main: wood fired pizzas and other fare

Delphos Ohio:
    Cabo Mexican: self explanatory
    Chickn house: good for homemade slaw and fried fish

Ada Ohio:
    Viva Maria's: fresh pizza and calzones, subs, pasta with homemade sauce, chicken, fish and shrimp, burgers, etc.

Findlay Ohio:
    Fin's: best seafood inland in Northwest Ohio. Expensive but very high quality food.

Jackson Ohio:
    Arch and Eddie's: great homemade food
    Rowdys smokehouse: smoked ribs, chicken, beef, and fixins

New Carlisle Ohio:
    Just northeast of Dayton on state route 235 is the Mel o dee. Homemade style food and pies, broasted whitefish

Bardstown Kentucky:
    the Rickhouse: kind of a 'local secret' place, off the main drag, hard to find. Amazing place to eat in the basement of a centuries old building.

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  7. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

Try La Paloma in Newark, Ohio.
    The have wonderful sopapias. Both meat and dessert ones.

8. SanchoPanza

SanchoPanza Active Member

LuLu's Gulf Shores (Lucy Buffett)

https://lulubuffett.com/gulf-shores/#/boards/lulu-s-gulf-shores-facebook-content

Sal and Phil's Ridgeland, Mississippi
    http://www.salandphils.com

Shrimp Basket Perdido Key, P'cola Beach...
    https://shrimpbasket.com

Peg Leg Pete's P'cola Beach
    http://peglegpetes.com

The Dock P'cola Beach
    https://www.dockpensacola.com

The Original Point near Perdido Key
    http://thepointperdido.com

Hal and Mal's Jackson
    https://www.halandmals.com

Gulf Shores & Mobile
    https://www.originaloysterhouse.com

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't eat out often enough to give a shout-out to a good place.

In my career, I have worked in far too many commercial kitchens. The cleanest ones are nasty, the worse ones are disgustingly filthy. The kitchen staff in large commercial kitchens are usually as nasty as the facility. The largest exception is a couple of the large burger chains who do make an effort at cleanliness, but then their food is not worth eating, and their minimum wage staff can not be trusted to handle you food properly.

Big kitchens generally don't hire enough people to clean up and the only deep cleaning most get is right before the scheduled health inspections. I have seen refrigerated food sitting out in hallways over the weekend. Did it get tossed on Monday morning, not even. I have watched kitchen staff wading around in sewage while they were preparing your meal. Some of the worst kitchens I have worked in are the ones with high-dollar menus and raving reviews.

Some of my personal experience deals with observing two of the largest restaurant chain and catering operations in the world. I would not have eaten in a restaurant
    they operated or eaten one of their catered meals on a dare.

AZdave likes this.
  10. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Must you ALWAYS be a "Negative Nancy"? You need to eat more sugar to rid your system of all that bitterness. :(

Gatoragn, primer1, Daoust_Nat and 4 others like this.
  11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

TEXAS D BRAZIL:D
    Location: Anywhere there is one! My Favorite one is in Baton Rouge LA. But the others are simply great!
    It is a place where you want to go Hungry!
    The Salad Bar is to die for! I love their Hearts of Palm on the Bar. And the Meat of all kinds keeps coming and coming and coming during the entire visit's dinning experience. There is a Coin that is Green on one side and Red on the other. With the Green side UP they keep coming and raking various meets off the Skewer blade on to your plate. If your plate is full, or you are slowing down or quitting, just flip the Red Side UP! If you want more later turn the Green Side UP again! WOW! It is a place to definitely PIG OUT!:p Can't wait to GO BACK!

Daoust_Nat, boatme98 and SGWGunsmith like this.
  12. SGWGunsmith

There was a place in Houston that the German girl and I visited quite a few years ago. I was awaiting an interview with Bell Helicopter in Fort Worth, so we had a few days to visit that GREAT state.
    Called "The Vegetable Garden". They had salads, which most included gulf shrimp, and they were the best, freshest vegetables of the day. Shrimp were plentiful. Now, I sure ain't no vegan, as I'm of the opinion that vegetables mostly have their best place next to filet mignon, but that place was one of the best we've ever gladly paid the bill at.

13. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

In the Fredericksburg, VA area, I generally stick to national chains (Carrabas, Outback, Texas Steakhouse, etc.). Our wedding supper was at a local restaurant and it was very nice (but overpriced). My wife's son ate there years later for his anniversary and was disappointed.

There are probably great local restaurants, but we don't go out enough to explore - we stick to known entities and national chains we enjoy.

Carabbas has wonderful Sirloin Marsala. Used to be on their menus, no longer, but still available if you ask. Then there's Outback: great food but atmosphere is not unlike dining in a steel mill. The Great Texas Steakhouse is great food and value.

In Colorado Springs, CO, check out the Edelweiss: excellent true German food if that is your thing.

14. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

Socorro, NM: The El Camino. mom and pop place, 24 hours, generous quantities, cooks learned from their abuelitas, and a disproportionate share of lovely young lasses with fine narrow footwear. effectively an off campus study hall for the university.

San Antonio NM: The Crane. like stopping by a friendly house for Mexican food. the chili is scorchier than most, and you can see where it grew from here.

15. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Active Member

This week I was in Columbus Ohio and had a great burger at Thurman’s
    A decent place in Butler PA is no secret, Rachael’s has cold beer and good food

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

And you follow me around making irrelevant comments like a stalker. You need to check your intellectual fly as your ignorance and emotional insecurity are showing.

17. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

For a burger Larry’s Filling Station in Orlando. Handmade 1/2 lb burgers cooked to order. Good fries and a good bar.

For a great steak, Flemings in Winter Park. Pricey place but bread, appetizers, main course and desert are all great. Top wine list too.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Annapolis MD Lewnes Steakhouse. $$$$ but worth it

Honolulu- Sam Choys (breakfast especially)

Castle Rock CO B&B Café

Hereford House Kansas City (Steak- REAL good!)

Beckley WV The Char (another $$$$ steak place)

Lakeside area of Richmond VA- Roy's Big Burger 1960's style walk up and order. Best burger in Richmond

Powhatan VA Café at Maidens (former gas station) Wildwood BBQ and El Cerro Azul

19. SGWGunsmith

Is that one solid hotdog?