Your "Face palm" Range moments?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Wiebelhaus, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Your worst Range Experiences? or "Face palm* Moments?

There were two guys who setup (Literally cut the tape off the box) next to me at a public range with an M10-AK, A Romanian M10 to be specific, Which I've been eyeballing so I was kinda interested in checking it out but both these guys were wearing flip flops. The AK was new in the box from buds for crazy cheap, check the link, it's 600 bucks.

I saw they were having trouble loading the magazine, seating the magazine and just general operation of the rifle. I asked them if they needed some help and they declined but continued to struggle. After about 10 more minutes of that, they decided that some help would be appreciated. I asked them if the rifle was "brand new" and the owner said "yah I just turned 18 today and the AK is my favorite gun on Call of Duty so I bought one." .........OMG so I asked how old the other guy was and he was 17 and neither one had ever fired a gun of any kind before.

Ahh man, wtf did I just get myself into.....

I helped them get the magazine loaded and went over the range safety rules. I showed them how to seat the magazine and chamber a round. I also covered how to stand and hold the rifle and the four rules like half a dozen times. They said thanks and I cautiously went back to shooting. Immediately after I hear GAKGAKGAKGAKBLAKKK CLANK...and look over and the guy who just bought the rifle was trying to bump fire it with some success but the hot brass got caught in his flip flop and he dropped his rifle....I'm thinking oh man, this isn't getting any better.

They were asked to leave by the range staff immediately (sorry but I rat'ted them out, I felt bad about it but it was getting dangerous and the last thing we as a firearm community need is another 18 year old killed on the range).

The Range officer and owner, told them they were not welcome back unless they wanted take a class he offered on proper rifle handling and told me he even gave them both 20% off coupons.

But I think I'm going to stop going on Saturday and Sundays to this place, it's crazy popular so it gets chaotic busy....I'll just drive a bit further to my favorite place which is a private Police/Military training spot that allows trust worthy civilians the privilege to use the place while it's not being used for training, it's much calmer and peaceful and rarely busy.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Half the time when I shoot I'm wearing flip flops.

3. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Not telling you your business, but I never load more than one round in a gun for a new shooter. I realize they are 'experienced field hands in the cybernetic jungle' of modern warfare, but the reset button on reality is currently out of order...we get no continues.
    I don't really blame you for changing ranges. That is bad news.

4. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Yea but your not a noob, the point about the flip flops was what happened later.

5. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Yes Sir, I hear ya loud and clear.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That was big of you to try to help them out. Some people are just in need of more help than we are able to provide in a short day trip.

I thought because of the title we were going to talk about our own stupid moments on the range. I was shooting my Marlin Model 60 for a while the other day. I probably put a couple hundred rounds range. I decided to shoot a couple mags from my 1911. As soon as the first round went off I remembered that I dont wear ear protection when shooting rimfire rifles. I had no idea how loud that 45 really was!!!

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would never wear flip flops to the range. Socks and shoes only for me.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My DUH! moment? Had several rifles at the line. Verifying scope on a .308 at 50 yds. Can see bullets hitting the dirt of the berm- looked liked a minute-of-elephant shot group. What the......:confused:.

Looked down at the box, and realized I had just put 4 rounds of .243 downrange- out of my Winchester .308. The .243 was for the Browning still resting in its rack..... DUH!

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

One time my wife handed me what I thought was the last round in a box of .45 ACP. I put it in the mag and fired it without really looking at it. It didnt feel right when it went off. The case was all bulged out. I said out loud, "I wonder why none of the others in the box did that?" She said it didnt come from the box. She had picked it up off the ground. I looked at it again and realized that it is was a .40 S&W.

10. winds-of-change

My first "face palm" moment came with the very first shot out of my very first gun. It is the hazards of being new and shooting alone. :eek:

I took my GP 100 to the range a few days after I bought it. I was so excited.......I was shooting my very own first gun for the very first time. I went slowly, step by step, remembering safety and loaded 6 .357 mags into the cylinder. I pick up the gun ALL EXCITED. I get my stance, extend the gun, study my grip, line up the sights with the target and let the very first round rip from my very first gun. I stand frozen for a moment. Put the gun on the shooting counter and step back, stunned. I forgot to put on my ears and eyes in all my excitement and concentration to not make a safe handling mistake. I'm sure most of you know how loud a .357 magnum is in an indoor range. My right ear rang for a while and I couldn't hear anything out of my left ear for a couple hours. Lesson learned. I've never forgotten my eyes and ears again. :eek:

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

A friend's Stevens 350 shotgun was in my hands. Five booms later I took the gun off my shoulder and pulled the trigger on an empty chamber after emptying the magazine.

BOOMMMM!!!!!!

One more shell in that mag than I was expecting, I guess. Oops. Thankfully I was following the primary rule of a gun range: Always point the muzzle downrange.

Everybody was safe after that negligent discharge...my only one ever.

12. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Holy smokes man! I have a really good buddy, I've known him since we were children, we also shoot together when time provides, he picked up a theory somewhere that when getting a new gun or especially with your EDC, that you must shoot it once without ear protection, his logic is in an emergency you won't time to put your ears and eyes on, so you need to know how it will sound so you don't jump or jerk in the time of need, it's a logical theory to me but man O man, I'm not sure I'd be so willing with a .45 or a .357 lol.

13. winds-of-change

I think in an emergency your adrenaline will be pumping so hard and fast you won't even notice the "BANG".

14. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Good point. I've shot (taking my bro's advice) my EDC without ears on, which right now is a J-frame .38 with Gold dot 158gr +p HP's, it really wasn't THAT bad, I wouldn't want to do it 100 times in a row though.

15. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I shot a 16" ar once without ear protection, once.

I bought a Taurus 357 years ago on consignment through a gun store, and met the pastor selling it. He did a trigger job on it and it was SWEET! I picked up a couple boxes of ammo and headed home to shoot.

After going through 20 rounds or so, I realized the weight of the trigger was too light, and failed to strike the primer hard enough for detonation. I continued shooting for awhile, practicing my pull without flinching, which was a good test because it didn't fire every time.

I burned through a box, and was walking back up to the house pulling the trigger repeatedly, swinging both arms when BANG! It had one left that didn't fire the first couple trigger pulls. The small crater was about 3-4 inches from my right foot.

This was many years ago, and I always practice safe handling now. I took the gun back and had the original owner put the original springs back in. I then sold it to a coworker, just didn't have good "vibes" from it.

16. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I've been pretty careful about handling guns so I don't have a face palm moment of my own but I got a face palm from the couple next stall. The guy was showing his girl how to shoot and she shot my target.

Note the hole above the right circle. That's hers. Now look at the two tiny holes, one in the white sticker and one in the green. Their target is at 3 yards while mine's at 7 yards and my best guess is that she hit the hanger where the bullet ricocheted into my target and the bullet was damaged where two pieces were fragmented from the bullet into my target.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

On another thread RoboCop10mm brought up a phenomenon called tachypsychia. In a critical situation, our brain does not perceive the gun shots in the same way it does down at the local rock quarry after we've removed our ear muffs.