Your concealed preference??

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by charliegirl, Aug 16, 2011.

1. charliegirl

charliegirl New Member

What is your preference for concealed carry and why? I know, this is a similar post to the guy recently asking about favorite handguns, but I would like to know your preference regarding concealed carry in particular, which is much different (to me anyway, especially when trying to consider what will end up being my choice.)

Also, if you have any "must not buy" bewares, I am interested in hearing that, as well.

Thanks, in advance for your replies! :)

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I carry my Ruger SR9c in a Fobus paddle holster during the spring and summer. During the fall and winter I carry my Springfield Mil-Spec 1911a1 in a shoulder holster (forgot the maker of it :eek:).

I prefer the Ruger SR9c over some other firearms like Glock for example, because I like the slim grip, the trigger is VERY nice, I like the sights, and I like some of the saftey features.

I prefer the Springfield 1911a1, because if I'm going to carry a full size .45ACP firearm, I might as well carry one that has some weight to it. Also I love the trigger, the thiness of it makes it very easy to conceal, feels very good in my hand, and it's a 1911 ;).

3. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

I carry either a Glock 23 (or at times a Glock 19) in an IWB kydex holster. I have to carry a .40 caliber Glock on duty and don't like carrying a different type or brand off duty than I carry off duty. I used to carry only a 1911 or BHP & bought a Gen1 Glock 17 in order to break it by abusing it.

I grew to respect and rely on the Glock after a year of hard use and abuse and have pretty much been carrying one ever since. I traded my Gen1 17 for a Gen3 22 in 1998 and bought a Gen3 23 in 1999. I've carried a 1911 on occasion before going to work at my current agency 7 years ago, but haven't since.

I've shot and handled the Springfield XD and S&W M&P enough to trust either one of them. I've heard and read good things about the FNX & Ruger SR, but haven't shot or handled one.

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The Ruger SR's are more of an all around firearm; good shooting, a good platform for a new shooter, good for carry, and so on.

Glocks are more of a combat and defense firearm.

5. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Not sure I'm following that logic...

But I tend to prefer larger handguns that have better ballistics, relatively higher capacities, and are easier to shoot well in all situations. I haven't had much trouble trying to conceal my PT92 or even my 8" Raging Bull.

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I prefer smaller handguns usually, because I don't see the need for a full sized firearm in a caliber like the 9mm (other than recreational purposes). If the caliber is over .40 I usually like a full size or close to full size firearm.

I don't have trouble concealing much of anything. It's just the way I am I guess ;).

7. Jay

Jay New Member

I carry a 1911, and have for over 35 years. I know several ladies who carry 1911's, and just love 'em.

Having said that......

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

ps... if you'd care to have the contact info for a lady who carries a 1911 daily, just let me know. I'm sure she can answer some of your concerns.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A PPK/s in .380, a S&W Model 12 in .38Spl, a H&K PSP P7 in 9mm, a Ed Brown Kobra Carry in .45, and a CZ-USA C-BOB in 10mm.

Each has a purpose and depending on what I am doing and where I am going.

9. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

What works best for me, from several to choose from, for general concealed carry, would be my Springfield XD, .40 sub-compact. Small frame, major caliber, light weight.

During cooler weather where jackets are appropriate, I like my S&W 457, .45 acp.

10. culdee

culdee New Member

Ccw

sometimes I carry a full size 1911 at 4:00 either IWB or a SOB holster. Most often I carry a S&W 686 4" IWB in a Galco Summer Comfort holster.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

personally ive got 4 handguns for ccw. colt 1911 series 70 in 45acp, colt new agent in 45acp, bersa thunder 380 plus, and bersa thunder 380.

what i will carry in november will depend on how discrete i need to be.

12. M1AG30

M1AG30 New Member

I carry a Glock 30..... which is the best of both worlds .45 in a compact frame.....

13. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

I carry a Springfield Ultra Compact V-10 in 45, or a Taurus 605 snub nose in 357 in summer with light clothing and without jackets to help conceal. In weather or climate where I can where a jacket to help in concealment I opt for one of my full size or commander size 1911's in caliber larger than 9mm. just my preference. I would suggest as an overall recommendation that you carry what you are most confident and proficient in. Again just my opinion.

14. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

Ruger lc9

Why not a ruger lc9?

15. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Very true, though it isn't universal. I had a KelTec PF9 that felt GREAT in my hands, but I absolutely hated shooting it :p . The main problem I found was the high bore axis gave a lot of muzzle jump, causing the trigger guard to slap my trigger finger to the point of quick discomfort.

So, I'd still say research into specific models to find out things like this (I had long known that it wasn't really a "range gun," but I figured I could get through more than a magazine before my chafing finger became a distraction, heh. Plus, obviously, learning about the features of various firearms (like a safe-action Glock vs a SAO-w/ safety pistol), and learning about the advantages and disadvantages of any of those features, can't be done only by looking and handling them in gun stores.

16. Bighead

Bighead New Member

Small pocket auto or snub nose revolver in front pocket. Keltec P3AT, Ruger LCP, S&W Body Guard .380, or S&W 442 would be my choices in either a quality leather pocket holster or a DeSantis Nemesis.

[​IMG]

Compact to medium sized semi-automatic, strong side, inside the waistband carry. Glock 19 or Walther PPS would be my choices. I lightweight 1911 Commander would also be acceptable. I like Galco holsters (Galco Scout is my choice), but there are a lot of quality manufacturers out there. I like kydex or leather fit to the gun, and I do not like soft sleeve, plastic clip holsters like Uncle Mikes and Blackhawk sell.

I also like OWB belt slide holster that hold close to the body, like the Galco Avenger and the excellent Don Hume JIT Slide (best value at $25).

JIT Slide
    [​IMG]

Compact to fullsize semi-automatic pistols, in a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. I have a child in diapers, and the Verispack serves double duty as a diaper bag for me. The rig has a dedicated pistol pouch, so you don't have to worry about someone seeing a gun in your bag when you're accessing other items. Maxpedition has a whole line of Verispacks, and other companies like 5.11 and US Peacekeepers make similar products.

[​IMG]

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Glock 26 on the ankle, glock 27 on the left hip, glock 34 on the right hip, glock 22 in a shoulder holster, and a glock 36(the best glock ever!) in my waist band.

18. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I use 4 different pistols depending on what im wearing and where im going.
    No particular order.
    1) Kimber ultra crimson, 3 inch barrel, crimson trace grips.
    2) Colt defender, 3 inch barrel
    3) Glock 36, slim grip
    4) Smith&Wesson bodyguard w/laser in front

19. Jay

Jay New Member

I wouldn't change carry platforms on a frequent basis. I wouldn't like taking the chance of muscle memory not remembering which firearm I have on me at any given moment. If I need a handgun, my brain, muscles, hands and eyes know exactly what has to happen to deploy the firearm.

No right or wrong....Purely a personal choice, that's just mine.

20. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I carry a Glock 26 at 4:00 on a Crossbreed Supertuck. It works great and its really comfortable.