Your choice of rifle brand?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ShagNasty1001, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Unfortunately I had to sell my .308 and a couple other rifles a few months ago due to financial situations but now I'm reset with a new job and back in the market for a rifle. I'm set on the caliber since I have the reloading equipment for it and I am in love with the caliber (please don't try to change my caliber choice). I'm going to be using the rifle for deer mainly (possibly hog and coyote but I have an AR for that) and my price tag is 650 without the glass which I've already decided on for that (Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40). My old rifle was a Remington 700 ADL and while I did like it, I'm not really wanting another, an ADL at least. I was looking at a Howa 1500 which I've had in a 25-06 but I've also had the T/C Dimension and T/C venture catch my eye. Im not picky on the type of rifle but I'd prefer a bolt or maybe a single shot unless I could get an AR10 in some sort of blessing way. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I got the tc venture in 30-06 and love it.. User 500 bucks and shoots 1" moa and 100 yrds guaranteed..

3. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Well I know how it feels to have to buy all new rifles/handguns again. I had mostly Remington and Winchester before. But I have been leaning towards Savage now. I got a axis 308 for hunting I know it is not the best out there but for white tails it will work fine. I am looking at a few more savage weapons like a target 22 another 308 for target also. Just my $.02.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The Howa would be my first choice but Savage has been putting out some good sticks if you believe the reviews and reports. Might be worth a look as the press has been pretty positive.

Howa still has an excellent action but word is out now and they are no longer the diamond in the rough they once were.

Good luck.

JD

5. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

What do y'all think about the 700 sps? Would it be possible to get one in that price range? Also I've looked at the Axis and love the price, but the top covering of the bolt has always turned me away. I had a 17 hmr from savage that had the accustock and trigger and loved it! Do they have a model with those options at a decent price?

6. opaww

opaww New Member

I love my Howa 1500 chambered in .308, and would not trade it for a million dollars.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Savage..........

8. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

For 650 or under i think the savage axis or mossberg 100 will be your best choice. Correct me if i am wrong bit both come standard with fluted barrels and scope mounts.

9. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Which model would you suggest?

I forgot to add in my original post that I'll be shooting out to 500 yards. Not hunting that far, as I don't trust myself but for target shooting with some friends for fun

10. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Bushmaster 308 with Magpul MOE furniture.
    That's what I have and it reaches out and touches.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

What about the Thompson Center Dimension? Has anyone heard much of those?

12. cottontop

cottontop Guest

My favorite make and model of all time is the Ruger #1 Single Shot.
    cottontop

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

+1, have had mine for 15+ years, outstanding!

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I thought only liberals yelled. Is there something you are hiding?? ;)

15. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Any Ruger Hawkeye and CZ. Both come with great scope rings - very good triggers - accurate out of the box.

16. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I went to my LGS to check a couple different brands out that I haven't had a chance to play with much. I looked at the Savage 114 but they had it in a 300 win short mag or 300 win mag so I checked out the short mag. I also looked at the Browning X-Bolt Stalker Carbon Fiber which felt really good. They had them in all sorts of calibers along with being stainless or blued barrels. What is the difference between the X-Bolt and A-Bolt?

17. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have the X bolt hunter, wood stock, in .308, excellent rifle. X Bolt has:
    an adjustable trigger (set at 3.5 pounds from factory
    has detachable magazine as opposed to hinged
    has a bolt release that allows bolt to be opened without moving safety to fire
    scope mounting system is different, 4 screws on each end of receiver

Couple other rifles to check out, Tikka and Ruger American.

18. mrfox556

mrfox556 New Member

Don't forget the marlin x series. X7vh with a heavy bull barrel for 350ish. Great rifles so I'm told. I'll know first hand pretty soon.

19. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I've played with the Tikka T3 before along with the American and wasn't too impressed with the Ruger. But then again I'm used to their M77 and #1 and looove the wooden stocks on them. They're just a little heavy for my taste

20. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Marlin completely slipped my mind. I'll be sure to look some up today