Young Marine and JROTC

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Alex2455, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Alex2455

Alex2455 New Member

Hi all

I found another Young Marine on the forums, and wondered, how many other Young Marines or JROTC kids are here?

I myself am currently a Recruit, with my RTC (Recruit Training Class) in 2 weeks! I've been attending drill for almost 6 weeks now and the program is great. Can't wait to get to boot camp, and then leave with my CUUs and hopefully Honor Recruit and PFC.

If your in a Young Marines unit, JROTC unit, are an adult leader or have fond memories of a unit, post!

Oorah!

V/R

Recruit Rose,
    Shipyard Dogs Young Marines

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I am a Marine. Please explain your program to me further, I'm interested in the process.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I am a Marine. Yes, Please expound further.:D Is it a delayed entry program?

4. Alex2455

Alex2455 New Member

Young Marines

Essentially, the Young Marines is a program for youth aged 8-18. I believe it's the official "Drug Demand Reduction" youth program for the USMC.

For instance, my unit has almost 28 members, aged 11 to 18 and the current ranking Young Marine in my unit is a Gunnery Sergeant.

It's essentially a Junior ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corp), similar to the Sea Cadets or the Civil Air Patrol. It's not a commitment or an enlistment, thought I believe if you join the service after being in the Young Marines you can get advanced rank. One former member of my unit went to parris Island a few months ago and graduated as a PFC.

For some more information:

Young Marines

Young Marines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. spittinfire

Let me ask you this.....will you go to Parris Island to earn your EGA?

ROTC credit will earn you PFC when you go in, should you enlist.

6. Alex2455

Alex2455 New Member

Parris Island

No sir, I intend to wear the 2" Blood Stripe one day!

My goal is to become a USMC officer either through NROTC at a 4 year college or through the US Naval Academy.

7. spittinfire

So you won't have to go to PI? I don't want to be a hater but if you haven't been thru PI, you aren't a Marine. Sand Fleas or Mt MF, you pick....College and classes don't make it. I've done both, I know.

8. Alex2455

Alex2455 New Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  9. spittinfire

You understood me. A lot of officers go thru boot camp. The ones that don't are still Marines but the level of respect they carry with other Marines will vary.

10. Alex2455

Alex2455 New Member

11. Alex2455

Alex2455 New Member

To expand on this, in my unit we also cover: volunteering, Close Order Drill, Drug Demand Reduction, and lots and lots of PT!

12. Shihan

You have high aspirations, wanting to become a General. You may want to start by becoming a Marine first. OCS(Officers Candidate School) is not a walk in the park by any means. But to experience Parris Island is a whole different ballgame.

Getting into Annapolis is not an easy task either. Good Luck.

13. spittinfire

No, I am saying that all Marine Officers deserve respect but going thru boot camp as a part of that is different then not.

A man that has been thru it can lead others better then one that has not, in my opinion.

I encourage you in your quest and if there is anything I can do to help you succeed in your mission please let me know. The world needs more young persons such as yourself.

14. Shihan

What, What... A ribbon out of Boot Camp. :eek: The only Ribbon the Marine Corps gives out of Boot Camp is the NDSM(National Defense Service Medal). I'm guessing English is not part of the Curriculum.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  15. CourtJester

CourtJester Active Member

My son is a Sea Cadet. Does that count?

16. Alex2455

Alex2455 New Member

Thanks

Ah thanks for correcting that, though becoming a General would be a very long term goal I meant to say the 1.5" officer stripe. One step at a time!

I think I understand what you mean, however I do believe that officers are not significantly disadvantaged by not going through the Parris Island boot camp. Something to remember is that officers do go through a boot camp, such as the OCC or OCS facility at Quantico.

Thanks, and Semper Fi!

17. Alex2455

Alex2455 New Member

Yes, the Sea Cadets count! Though the Sea Cadet unit in my area and my Young Marines unit have some good rivalry going!

18. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Alex-

Spitty is not saying that he doesnt respect officers. He is saying that those of us that were in the Corps, or still in the Corps, have a different kind of respect for mustangs (prior enlisted officers). It's something you give them because they've been there, been at the bottom, and dealt with the same kind of stuff that you had to deal with. They more often than not remembered where they came from, they lead Marines differently. How can you lead if you've never had to follow. Dont get me wrong, most of the great Marine officers were never enlisted, but a lot were. I always held prior enlisted officers and warrant officers in higher regard than officers straight from college. I have always have some ambition to put on a pair of bars, but only after I had my crossed rifles pinned on first. With that being said, if I was in high school and I happened to have been selected for a service academy, I would skip enlistment and go to Annapolis. For you I would say try to get in the Naval academy, and if you dont, enlist. Just my 2 cents.

By the way, Chesty enlisted first!

Attached Files:

19. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I did Army JROTC in high school. Then I enlisted. I've throught about trying for a commission, but eh it doesn't appeal to me to much as an Air Force officer, possibly as an Army officer but there are a few extra hoops I'd have to jump through for that.

As far as prior-E officers, I've met both kinds, those that were **** hot and those that were just ****

20. spittinfire

Actually, I think everyone needs to go thru boot camp. If you want to be a Marine officer that's fine, go thru PI or SD first.

Mustangs do tend to carry a little more weight though. An old CWO4 was one of my favorite guy to work for/with.