You pick

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by BudW, Oct 30, 2009.

1. BudW

BudW New Member

2. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I am going with the mini...I could carry more ammo

3. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

ak,because i don't want to have to worry about cleaning it,ever.

4. bigjim

bigjim New Member

AK - 124 grain is better than 55 grain.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I've never owned an AK, whereas I have owned a Mini 14. If it's SHTF, I'd want the extra firepower that an AK would give me.

Frankly, if it ever does happen, my Garand will do the job and allow me to stand off a bit further. ;)

6. james_black

james_black New Member

Is the ak 223 also? If so...I take the mini 14. If the ak is in 7.62X39 then ill take that one.
    More stopping power.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

My vote is for the mini. Reason, I can find, trade or steal .223/5.56X45 NATO where ammo for the AK could get scarce.

8. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

Mini-14, I have been using .223 ammunition all of my life and I know it works. Mini has a similar system as Garands and M1A1's...it too works.

9. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

The mini.

Firepower is defined by how many rounds you can throw down range, and how fast. Not how powerful the round is. The energies of the two rounds are not that different. What makes the difference is in the construction of the bullet.

But neway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to go with the one that makes the bigger hole and I can carry more of.

10. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I'll take the Mini. I plan on hunting for food, even if it's cats and dogs. Horses. Whatever.

11. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

I heard American Rifleman say "the only way an AK-47 can hit the broad side of a barn is if you're actually standing inside the barn." I'll take the Mini.

12. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

The Mini. I already have one just like it. In the interest of consolidating calibers, my primaries are .45 pistol and .223 rifle.

I'm really suprised how many have picked the Mini. I really expected the AK to be more popular with the members.

13. Viking

Viking Active Member

Though I've never fired an AK-47 I have owned a number of Mini 14's. I have found the mini to be very accurate, shot a deer at 100 yards uphill angle, factory peep sites, right between the eyes. When I grabbed the horns they were loose, the 55 gr. soft point blew it's skull to bits. Sad to say I no longer own that mini. My choice would be a Mini 14.

14. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

My old man has one of the NRA editions with the houge stock. I love to shoot that gun. Light, accurate, and rugged. The actions is based off the rifle that won WWII to boot, how can you go wrong?

I must admit thought that I have yet to have the pleasure of firing an AK, so until then my opinion will be based off the limited knowledge I have.

15. james_black

james_black New Member

I wish you can use ar15 mags on a mini 14. I'm kinda surprise the haven't made an adapater or a conversion so u can use ar15 mags on mini 14. I would trade my ar's for a mini 14.

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm going with the mini....

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

18. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

Mini. I dont understand the love of the AK. To me its like praising a pos glock. Wow, you can take a dump on it and still shoot it. I take pride in cleaning and caring for my firearms, and in a survival/bug out situation u need as many little menial tasks to take ur mind off of the insanity anyways so I imagine id clean and tinker with my guns more than ever!

Plus, i know for a fact i can put one in between your eyes with that mini. Can you same the same about the AK?

19. DogRanger

DogRanger New Member

Never owned either, but I would lean ak for reliable and easy of cleaning or lack of.

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

In a SHTF scenario? Complete lawlessness? Total anarchy?

Neither thanks.

The AK ammo is going to get hard to find REAL QUICK unless the Red army of China invades.

Why?

Because everyone has one of the damn things and they are ALL going to be fighting over the ammo...

And the mini?

Are you kidding me? I don't care what you do to that weapon, it's still a thin barreled, op rod driven platform that was cool in The A Team days and that is about it.

I would pick up either in a heartbeat and stow my beloved 1911 until I could get a plan together and get a real BATTLE RIFLE!

Then again, I am a bit bigger than your average bear and I don't mind packing some extra weight if that weight translates to dead on arrival firepower.....

JD