You NEVER know where you'll find a little jewell

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Wambli, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I bought some firearms from an estate, more guns than what I wanted but thinking I would then have time to weed out the ones I didn't want. So part of the deal is a stainless Ruger 10/22 with a cheap Bushnell sports view scope. Ho-hummm. Don;t need the gun but for rimfire I LIKE the Bushnell Sprotsview series bacause it's EASY for me to adjust parallax on those scopes and actually make a rimfire scope out of one.

So I go ahead and adjust the parallax, remount the scope, clean up the gun because it has a few blemishes on the receiver and go to the range expecting, well, NOT much...

So I loaded it with the cheapest ammo I could find in my box (I bought a bunch of cheap Thunderbolts just before the .22 shortage and I'm trying to burn them) and SURPRISE!!! I'm getting THIS at 50 yards...
    IMG_3314.jpeg

Hummmmm...

BUT something kept bugging me and I remembered I never torqued down the screws on this gun, a habit I've picked since I got a Kimber out of the box with loose screws.

I brought no tools with me but I picked up one of my empty .308 cases because the rim fits nicely into the slot of the action AND band screws on the 10/22 and tightened it down. And I'll be dammed if they were not loose!!! So I buckled down on the bench to really try and THIS happens...

IMG_3318.jpeg
    Yep, that's FIFTY yards with an off the rack 10/22, topped with an inexpensive scope and shooting Remington Thunderbolts! I think I'll keep this one.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice score. Target ammo will probably group two inches.

3. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

HA! Probably! I wonder if I would have done better if I’d cleaned the bore too :D

Rifling82, Txhillbilly and towboater like this.
  4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

What a pleasant surprise. Yep a keeper.

Rifling82 and Txhillbilly like this.
  5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Wambli,Looks like you got a real winner right there. I don't think I'd clean the bore until it starts shooting bad!

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Yep. Hell I don’t even want to look at it too hard. Maybe I just flinched in the same direction 3 times :D

towboater, Txhillbilly and Rifling82 like this.
  7. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Tucked away in the .22 rack. Wife’s gonna be wondering why soon...

towboater and Rifling82 like this.