You Don't Have to Aim a Shotgun Mythbusting VIDEO

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Amsdorf, May 26, 2012.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

It's surprising how often I hear people say that the shotgun is the best home defense weapon because...."you don't have to aim it, just point and shoot." This video explains and shows why that is ridiculous, a bit of shotgun mythbusting, if you will.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsN2AugB5pw[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I'm not sure if you're trying to argue whether or not the shotgun is the best home defense weapon or if the statement you don't have to aim a shotgun is simply inaccurate.

I think that the shotgun is the best home defense weapon. I also think that you have to aim every gun. However, there is a lot more room for error with a shotgun. Also, you can use a load that isn't going to go through walls and hit a family member or your neighbor. The problem with that video is that if those were people, save for the last one, they'd all be very dead. And there's just no way you're going to be shooting at someone in a home defense situation from 30 yards.

3. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Thanks for your comment, I put my comment in the video details, but, yes, the shotgun is a superb home defense weapon. You put a load of .00 buck in a bad guy's chest and he is going down, forever.

You are right, that you won't be shooting at 30 yards in a home defense situation, inside a house, that is.

But, my point in showing that is even at 30 yards, the shot is not scattering so broadly you could get away without aiming.

I'll add a note to the video to make my point more clear.

Thanks.

4. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

There are shotguns, then there are shotguns.
    There are shotgun shells, then there are shotgun shells.

Put a slug barrel on it then shoot 6 shot at 40 feet. I get about an 8 foot spread.

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I took out my new HD shotgun again yesterday, I got some regular buck I shot it out of turkey choke and no choke, at 10 yards turkey choke put all the shot right into a nice little tight group, where no choke had a 1/2 foot grouping. I guess if you had to you could shoot from the hip and hit what your aiming at at that distance but you still risk missing.

I think that all of this massive spread people think you get out of a shotgun is all hollywood, thanks for the video always nice to see someone teach people actual facts.

6. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Thank you sir, for your kind remark, glad you found the video helpful.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If a shotgun did NOT require aiming, I estimate that I would have killed an additional 237 doves, 192 rabbits, 167 squirrels, 27 pheasants, 12 deer, and at least 1,000 clay pigeons.

The closest thing I have ever seen to a point and pray was the 90mm recoilless rifle with a cannister load. That is 2400 little wire darts- and that STILL has to be aimed.

While a shotgun is the most efficient close range bad guy remover I know of, as the original poster said, you have to hit your target. Good info- thanks

8. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Thanks, I'm amused that on a few other forums where I posted this I actually have guys who skeet shooting trying to compare their skeet shooting to .00 defensive shooting. Seriously.

9. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

dmn i think we have true genius here!!! hd with a hd gun and moving targets are 2 different things come out and shoot some clays with your mb we then can see the differance. seriously then let me shoot the same targets you just shot with my gun and lets see how it patterns dont worry the zombies are coming and you will be safe

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

while a shotgun is a very good goblin stopper, when you discharge one using a typical 00 buckshot round you are responsible for every stray shot. cranking off at the hip and spray and pray attitude your going to have lots of pelets scooting past the bad guy.

buckshot has a very nasty tendency towards extreme overpenetration on walls. if you aim centermass your using the goblin as a backstop for all the projectiles. if your shooting from the hip your liekly to be using loved ones or neighbors as a backstop... murphy is an excellent shot.

11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

true but take the same shots at the same range and the same choke with 1.25 oz 7.5

12. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

When I think "not aiming" I think of something like point shooting not so much shooting from the hip. You can put accurate rounds on target w/o taking aim in the traditional sense. I was doing it a week ago in a class. A man at ranges you'd find in the average home/apt. is a very large target.

I do practice drawing at home w/o looking down the sites then look down the sites to check to see if I'm on target. It's a muscle memory thing.

Look at those trick shooters who shoot from the hip w/ everything from SAA Revolvers to rifles and shotguns even bows. I'm sure those guys spend an insane amount of time training.

I don't think people should be shooting from the hip but there are techniques that bypass aiming in the traditional sense.

Just my thoughts.

13. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

JonM, bingo, well put sir and precisely my point.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Amsdorf, good information. i agree a shotgun needs to be aimed just as any other firearm. doesn't matter how much damage it could do to a BG, if it never hits the BG! and i agree that shotguns are one of the best HD firearms available. i think many confuse lacking precision for lack of aiming. as the shot spread is larger than either a pistol or rifle bullet, the shotgun doesn't require as much precision in aiming as a pistol or rifle in order to hit the intended target. but it still requires aiming just like any other firearm. IMO, much of this fallacy is generated by movies and tv.

i use 10 yards as my practice distance, as inside my home, if i can accurately hit at that distance, then i can engage any target within my home with ease. i am also partial to using #4 birdshot as at that same distance, it still does plenty of damage and i don't ever have to worry about overpenetration.

15. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

So do you all actually look through the sights when engaging that close?

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

mine has just the bead and i just sight down the barrel. my aiming is minute of BG! even if i am not directly centered and just hit him in the shoulder or leg or groin with the first round, because it's dark and can't get quite a clear shot, then at the very least i will have taken some of his initiative out. at 20 feet or less, #4 birdshot will still do quite a bit of damage.

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I do not know why anyone who ever worked with a shotgun would have the notion that it doesn't have to be aimed. When I set up my shotgun for home defense, I went through a lot of shells determining just how it reacted at different distances. I also went through a bunch of discarded tin roofing figuring out how different rounds penetrated and patterned before selecting my HD rounds.

It is only in the movies that shotguns are fired from the hip, exploding semi-trucks and killing hoards of bandits per round.

18. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Are you taking the time to do the typical one eye closed, line up the bead, pull the trigger, then reacquire?

19. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

In the one sequence where I'm blasting the heck out of the center mass target, I'm using the ghost ring and front sight, shooting, reacquiring and aiming/shooting again and I'm not sure I'd be placing the shot from 20-25 feet as I did if I had not been aiming, but...that may just be me.

20. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

20-25 feet you must have a big house