You catch an intruder in your house during the night.....

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by jjones45, Mar 2, 2014.

1. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I have often pondered this scenario and wondered what I would do or what others would do. You wake up to a bump in the night and you catch said intruder. What do you do next? Do you put the guy down immediately because basically this is a home invasion since your home and he could have buddies, armed and willing to kill you? Do you say "don't move" and hold him captive till police arrive? Or do you just react to what happens next, he obeys-you don't shoot, he runs away- you don't shoot, he reaches or raises something-you shoot, you hear he has company-you shoot? Really no wrong answer in my opinion since this is your domain and a home invasion which in my mind the criminal is already willing to kill whoever is home or they would not have done the home invasion/break-in anyways.

Never enough guns or ammo

2. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

We would just hear the dogs tearing something apart out in the yard. then find parts of him in the field while mowing next summer (like we do with deer) But if the bad guy did make it in i wouldnt take any chances.

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I have 2 dogs and a 2 room dorm, plus a tiny bathroom. My dogs would have woken me up to any sound if his entry. If he continued in with the sound of them barking then he already past the crazy test, I'd have already fired 3 times if I went for my handgun, and at least once with a shotgun before I stopped to ask questions.

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I have an attack beagle to keep him busy, If the intruder is armed with a firearm......I have my Rosy (p226). If not with a firearm....chemical warfare and a quick lesson in combatives.

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

If an intruder is in my home, he has already proven to me that he has no regard for me or family's well-being. All bets are off and I ask him to identify himself. If the voice/name doesn't set me at ease, no mercy, no remorse.

6. R1D2

R1D2 New Member

Wife calls 911... I go like rambo. Alarm don't run him/her off..
    I got nightlights I can see. Situation tells me they go to jail or body bag.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

with the fact that i have outside dogs and inside dogs, and that anything within about 100 yards will alert them, it's very seriously unlikely anyone will get into my home unnoticed. now if i didn't have the dogs and someone were to get in, they knew i was home more than likely to begin with. in my mind, they are a threat.

i consider that there is a difference between a home invasion and a simple robbery of my home. a simple robbery, they are more than likely going to break in when no one is home, and steal what valuable they can as quickly as possible, and then leave. a home invader, is a different type of criminal. they go in late at night, or very early in the morning and know the homeowners are more than likely home. many home invasions leave the homeowners, dead, beaten, raped and robbed. the robberies are usually an after thought. they don't care whether anyone is home, and many times kill them so there are no witness's to their criminal acts.

so given that manner of thinking, i am not in the least going to offer a fair chance. there is a threat to me and my loved ones and i will do all in my power to protect them and eliminate the threat.

8. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

The humane side of me wants to be able to say honestly I had no choice but to shoot if I shoot, but the protective dad/husband side of me shows no mercy for criminals in my domain. The duality of man. Why chance it?

Never enough guns or ammo

9. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

My home, uninvited, dead. No chance if I have the upper hand. Why give the bad a guy a chance to get the upper hand?

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if a criminal wanted chances and opportunity, they should have picked a different career rather than breaking into people's homes.

i feel neither compelled or obligated in giving a home invader any type of fair advantage.

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have a 100lb female red nose pitbull inside that is very responsive and barks if she hears anything, but I doubt that she would attack if the perp made it inside the house "although not 100% sure". If anyone is caught inside my house, they are DONE, I do not play

12. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I would be happy as a clam just running the guy(s) off. Any resistance warrants lead to the head. No matter how many invaders. I'm willing to die defending my family, but I prefer the adversaries beat me to it. :)

13. awahlster

awahlster New Member

Depends. Below the stairs before I have to go down the stairs and I can cover and hold him I would since the stairs (due to its design is very defendable position) above the stairs (which means in one of the two bedrooms) if they don't break their neck stepping into our bedroom in the dark I would most likely shoot. If they are in the other bedroom I'll let my son deal with it. All that training on board ship to learn how to repel boarders and secure the compartment should come in handy (OK so he would shoot too)

But since the rear entry to my house is not breachable from the outside and both the front and rear entries are compartmentalized (you break in the outer door you still have to break in the front or rear door. Totally enclosed ft porch front windows internally barred. un breachable rear door leads to laundry/store room which presents with a reinforced rear door up steps that would be quite the challenge,

So anyone breaking into my house will be met before they can actually enter the house proper.

A mans house is his castle and in my opinion should be constructed like one.

14. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

We're on one level. If they manage not to wake the 86 Lb. Old English Bulldog in his Crate by the side door to the Driveway, and come In through the Back of the Property( either from the front through my driveway or the back yard from over the 16tf. Stone Privacy wall) : My Yard light has a sensor on it. Before they get past the back door lock the Cops are called and I'm standing there with any number of Items, with the wife backing me up and holding on the Ph to county E-911. Come in throughout the side or front, by the time you are 5 secs through the Door I'm set up in a 30 Ft. Hallway with same as prior.....or Gator has commenced eating him/her...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  15. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I just thought of something. After capturing him, make him clean the house, wash the cars and fix a sandwich. Free labor! LOL!:p

16. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Won't need the cops. I'm handy with rope. I'll tie him to a tree nekked, put a calf with him who misses his mama. Let nature runs it's course.

~ Get your tools and meet me on tow princess!~

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Arm myself, conceal myself in my prearranged spot, call 911, and hope the SO has a few cars nearby. If at all possible I want them to handle the dirty work. The last thing I want to do is take somebody's life.

18. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Pray that god forgives me for eliminating the threat!

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If I wind up in court at some time, and someone is looking back thru my internet postings, to be introduced at my trial, I want it to be known-

There are too many variables to be able to give a single pat answer. While I hope never to have to hurt anyone (again) my first concern is the safety of my family (and myself).

The final outcome is going to depend on the actions of the intruder. Beyond that, I am not inclined to discuss my hypothetical actions on an open forum.

Remember- the internet is like Herpes- this stuff sticks around a LOOOOOONG time.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'll add to this, internet forum postings have already been used, and likely will continue to be used, against people. Fella named Leonard "something or other" up in Tennessee rings a bell. The stack of internet postings he made that were introduced at his trial looked like a novel. In 10 point font. He kept talking about how he carries a Draco "pistol" everywhere in attempts to "educate" people about his rights... long story short, it turned into a big mess, and he LOST in the end. MISERABLY.

Some things are best kept close to the vest. Yes, this is coming from the guy who has a habit of putting soooo much of his personal stuff out there for everyone to see. Even I don't tell y'all everything.