You carry THAT!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by txpossum, May 12, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I could pretty much carry any handgun I want. In my current collection I have several "name brands" which would make good carry guns -- Colts, Smiths, Rugers -- and if I really felt that there was a pistol out there that were the PERFECT carry weapon, I could buy, trade, or steal one. So, with all these good choices, which one is by far my most frequent carry?

A .40 Firestar. In the ugly Starvel finish.

About 15 years ago I realized i was carrying around a Colt Officer's ACP that I had about $1500 sunk into, and if it got lost, stolen, or confiscated I would just piss and moan about it forever. So, at the next gun show I looked around, and saw the Firestar. Although different internally, the controls were the same as a 1911, so I wouldn't have to unlearn anything. And it was a stubby, heavy little beast, which I liked.

A the range I was pleasantly surprised -- it was accurate, and easily controllable when shooting with one hand.

Now, I also own several nice Galco holsters. What do I carry the Firestar around in? Some unknown holster I found in a bin on a gun show table for $10.00.

Not the classist rig, but it works. Anybody else out there carry a budget rig when they could go with a more expensive set up?

(FYI -- my second most common carry is a 1911)

Attached Files:

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Isn't that what Glocks are for? They are serious, reliable, functional firepower that you wouldn't have to mourn if you ever lost one.

Granted, I have my $1200 1911 that I carry occasionally, but my Kahr CM9 (the budget version) gets a lot of time in my waistband. I'd hate to lose it, but it wouldn't break me. But I'd much rather rely on my Kahr or my Glock than trust my life to a Firestar.

Just sayin'...

Last edited: May 13, 2013

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Forgive fanboy, he knows not of what he speaks. I have the same exact gun and, especially with the extended +1 mag, it is SUCH a sweet little shooter.

Picture for illustrsation purposes only...

Carry? No. P-64.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If I am involved in a shooting, and the most expensive firearm I own is confiscated-
    (1) My life and well being are worth FAR more than any gun I own, or ever hope to own.
    (2) I have two brothers that are lawyers that will make your life miserable until you return my piece, cleaned and lubed.

My biggest concern for a carry weapon is reliability, ease of use under stress, reliability, accuracy. reliability, concealability- and did I mention reliability?

5. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Mmmmm. . .not a Glock fan. Tried a Model 23, sold it after a few months. Hated the trigger. This little Firestar is one of the most reliable guns I own, and, as stated, was suprisingly accurate at 10 yards.

6. txpossum

txpossum New Member

The one pictured is actually my 2nd Firestar -- my first was a blued model, and liked it so well I got the other as a spare. Still have both, but usually carry the Starvel finish.

7. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I agree with you completely. Your life is not worth cheaping out on a handgun for -- EXCEPT, as stated, this little Firestar is as reliable as any of my more expensive guns, and more accurate out of the box than any of my compact 1911's. I do not feel that I am making any sacrifice in the quality of my protection by carrying one. Now, if I KNEW that I was going to get into trouble, my first choice would be a full size 1911, and I usually have one of those in my car or my backpack.

8. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I would also note that at the time I started carrying the Firestar, Texas did not have a concealed carry permit. If I got caught carrying, I would loose the gun. I was a criminal defense attorney who spent a lot of time in bad parts of town around bad people.

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

LOL, that's some interesting tale counselor. If you don't have one see if you can find one of the extended mags -- besides the addn'l round it really is a pleasant change in ergonomics.

There are not alotta semi-autos the very appearance of which would have people wet themselves as well as a Starvel-finished Star M-40.

And for the unfamiliar, Spanish co. Star made some high quality arms. It is a shame they did not survive...

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  10. JW357

JW357 New Member

Wait, THAT'S what you carry??!!

Just kidding. Interesting choice. I agree with your reasoning. As long as its reliable and you're comfortable with it, no problems. By the way, what's the capacity of that lil guy?

11. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Firestar works for me...

My view... Carry a pistol that is historically known to function reliably in a caliber that is sufficient to your need. Practice with it and shoot it well.

Carry a sturdy rig that works for you and carries your pistol properly that maintains the degree of angle "position" you prefer to draw from. Practice drawing and coming on gun point with it regularly.

As a hobby I work with leather, and I make a good majority of my carry rigs. With the exception of SASS rigs I don't make gun holsters for anyone beyond my family.

I always look through the used holster offerings at the gun stores, looking for some jewels I can flip or get inspiration from...

12. txpossum

txpossum New Member

In the .40 caliber, 6 + 1.

They also made it in a 9mm, and, in a slightly larger frame, .45.

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Interesting...

I would agree that "price" is irrelevant. In the world of guns, it is often true that one gets what one pays for, however, it is equally true that "inexpensive" and "cheap" are no always synonymous...

C3 laid of the requirements of any CCW piece... As long as your EDC meets these standards... it really should not matter if it cost you $200 or $1200.

I would disagree with the "If I knew a fight was coming" comment. I love my 1911's as well but... If I know the Devil's on the doorstep... Or waiting at my destination... My Remi 870 will be the gun in my hand. ;)

...with my 4" Kimber being downgraded to BUG status. :)

Tack

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Oh, you kill me. I love my firestars, especially the starvel 45. Gorgeous gun!

I carry my m43. The 45 is far too wide.

15. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

100% my comments exactly except my lawyer is not my by brother.

16. Trooper7687

Trooper7687 New Member

I have the same model firestar in 9x19, it was my dads before he got his Glock 19, only reason he changed was he hated carrying the weight of the gun after years carrying a ruger wheel gun on patrol.

17. levelcross

levelcross New Member

C3 and Tack have told it like it is. If I know a fight is coming, my carry gun will become a BUG and the BIG toys are going to have a chance to stop what ever is in their path. Since this will never happen (I hope ) my carry gun will just have to be sacrificed if need be...till the lawyers are done.

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Finding a compromise in the cost, weight,

concealability, and willingness to have the rig

confiscated, is a private cross we all bear.

IMHO personal preference will truly only be

important to us.

On a lighter note, I've also been finding

some great holsters cheap, in the discard bin.

19. Curt

Curt New Member

I have a Sig 1911 but really prefer my Taurus PT92 because of the way it feels in my hand.
    I realize it doesn't have the stopping pwr of the 45 acp but comfort adds to accuracy in stressful situations.