Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious... if you could only have one rifle what would it be and why?

Although, I have not purchased a rifle yet, I see the day of me owning one coming! For me I would choose the .308 battle rifle, such as the Springfield M1A.

At first, I was thinking about purchasing the AR-15 but, since I love multipurpose tools, I would much rather have a .308 than a .223/5.56 NATO. Sure, the AR-15 is a good defensive rifle. No doubt about it! It’s just that in my state .223 is illegal to use for hunting... Some may not agree with the reasons why but, hey, I don’t write the laws. Obviously, I want a rifle for defensive purposes but the rifle will probably get more use as a hunting platform. I would need a rifle that has the primary role of hunting with the secondary role of defense. I think the Springfield M1A would fit what I need perfectly.

·
Banned
13,224 Posts
SKS. It is about as good as it gets for versatility as long as you don't plan any long range sniping. (I am trying to quit long range sniping)

·
Supporting Member
12,913 Posts
Striker
Seems you are narrowing it down to a semi auto preference from your conversation. An M1-A is a good choice. With a scope they would be exceptional for hunting although being a little heavy. And certainly a good defense rifle. I carried an M-14 in the Army in my early days and then the M-16 A-1. And today I have an M1- A National Match and an M1-A Loaded Model. The National Match with a Scope and the Loaded has regular iron sights.
I got tired of taking my scope off the National Match for the Law Enforcement Certified M-14/ M1-A Rifle Instructor Schools. Then having to Re-zero the scope during the schools we instruct every time.
But you might also want to take a look at the Ruger (AR) Model SR-762 (308 Rifle) It is a great feeling 308 and not too heavy like most 308 ARs. My wife has one and loves the rifle. It has a Nikon Scope on it and I installed a Rock River Arms 2 Stage National Match Trigger. "Worth checking out" And certainly not as quite as heavy as the M1-A. 8.6 lbs. for the Ruger compared to 9.8 lbs. for the M1-A :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Striker
Seems you are narrowing it down to a semi auto preference from your conversation. An M1-A is a good choice. With a scope they would be exceptional for hunting although being a little heavy. And certainly a good defense rifle. I carried an M-14 in the Army in my early days and then the M-16 A-1. And today I have an M1- A National Match and an M1-A Loaded Model. The National Match with a Scope and the Loaded has regular iron sights.
I got tired of taking my scope off the National Match for the Law Enforcement Certified M-14/ M1-A Rifle Instructor Schools. Then having to Re-zero the scope during the schools we instruct every time.
But you might also want to take a look at the Ruger (AR) Model SR-762 (308 Rifle) It is a great feeling 308 and not too heavy like most 308 ARs. My wife has one and loves the rifle. It has a Nikon Scope on it and I installed a Rock River Arms 2 Stage National Match Trigger. "Worth checking out" And certainly not as quite as heavy as the M1-A. 8.6 lbs. for the Ruger compared to 9.8 lbs. for the M1-A :)

Ruger is the greatest company in the world in my opinion! However, despite the .308 not having that much recoil compared to .30-06, I would think that the added weight of the Springfield would provide greater handling for hog hunting. Also, I prefer the classic look of the M1A compared to the AR style. It seems like everyone has an AR, which is a great platform but I want something different.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
BM59 the Italians version of the M1A/M14 with a 20 rd detachable magazine. Its heavier than my AR10's but wood and steel are cool...

Second choice would be the FAL that I sold off years ago. 18" barrel and the folding paratrooper stock. Again it's a battle rifle not a sniping platform. That means it's more rugged than my bench rifles, and takes abuse without failing.

No one mentioned scoped or not so I chose iron sighted rifles without any delicate optics to break. Both choices are 308's for ammo availability. But the BM59 can be built in 6.5 Creedmore and becomes a much different beast in that configuration. Scope becomes much more necessary with the long range round...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BM59 the Italians version of the M1A/M14 with a 20 rd detachable magazine. Its heavier than my AR10's but wood and steel are cool...

Second choice would be the FAL that I sold off years ago. 18" barrel and the folding paratrooper stock. Again it's a battle rifle not a sniping platform. That means it's more rugged than my bench rifles, and takes abuse without failing.

No one mentioned scoped or not so I chose iron sighted rifles without any delicate optics to break. Both choices are 308's for ammo availability. But the BM59 can be built in 6.5 Creedmore and becomes a much different beast in that configuration. Scope becomes much more necessary with the long range round...
Yea one of the reasons why I would choose the M1A is because of the looks but I think they are more rugged than the typical AR

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Yea one of the reasons why I would choose the M1A is because of the looks but I think they are more rugged than the typical AR
After carrying one as a DMR rifle for sandbox 1, I have to say they aren't that much better as battle rifles. Accuracy wasn't anything to write home about either. They are pretty finicky about dirt/sand in the actions and will foul up just as quick as any AR, UNLESS THE PROPER MAINTENANCE IS DONE. Maintaining the gear is crucial in the real world. The FAL that the British troops had was a real machine in that environment. Hardly ever jammed. Same with the Isreali Gallil in 308. Both were built for dessert combat.

M1A and M14's were issued to us in a hurry as we didn't have a designated DMR rifle. Wandering around with a scoped bolt rifle seems cool, till the enemy spots you and calls in an artillery strike to take out the "sniper". Standard doctrine for neutralizing a sniper...

I do like the looks better. But real world I'd probably grab my AR10, 18" 308 DMR build. Lighter is way better when you actually carry the weapon any distance. And being able to blend in with your own troops is a big plus...

https://www.firearmstalk.com/index.php?threads/126825/

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
AR-10 anyday. a self defense/hunting rifle should be well functioning. I will take functionality over looks. If ya don’t like the looks, ya can somewhat change it.
There is even wood furniture for them

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
WOW! This is alot harder than I thought it would be. But I guess if pressed for an answer it would have to be my Marlin 30-30.. NO WAIT, My Sako .243.. No wait, My AR... oh Hell, Nevermind . I'll get back with my answer later.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts