Yo Yo Fishing reel

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by ktmboyz, Aug 14, 2011.

1. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I just purchased a Yo Yo fishing reel to put in my BOB..

Does anybody have experience with them good or bad ?? Seemed like a good light weight addition to my bag.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I had never heard of one and just Googled it. It seems like a great idea to me.

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Absolutely love em. I've caught huge catfish on them. They're not strong enough to reel the fish in but when it gets tired it'll be pulled to the surface.

4. soldierman79

soldierman79 New Member

Yeps, i've caught many a catfish on yo-yo reels. Just set it, and forget it. :D

5. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Gotta run your lines anyway...why add the extra weight to your pack?

6. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Well first off I didn't have any lines in my pack yet except 550 cord. And since its about the size of a deck of cards and can be set and left I figured it would be a good addition to my pack.

Seems like a good thing to me.. What do you have in your pack for a fishing set up ?

7. usmcprofessional

usmcprofessional New Member

...to be completely honest when i first read the title of this thread i thought it was someone drawing attention to their fishing rod.

8. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Good braided line and 6/0 hooks is all one needs. Tied to a limb with some give it will take care of any channelcat or flathead you'll run across.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Nothing says drunken redneck fun like an evening of jug fishing.
    YoYo's are cool, but i never thought about them for a bugout bag. If you could stash some by your lake of choice, they would probably make your fishing easier/more productive.

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

the only thing I have for fishing is the basics Cajun line 17pd test, bobbers, hooks, weights. all stored in a single pocket. I also have bow string in a thing of PC for bow fishing and hunting purposes. It effective is you find the right materials took a small koon with a green sapling and stick with ducktap fletchings with piece of beer can for a broad head.