Yet another scope question...

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Spad2137, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Spad2137

Spad2137 New Member

Ok here's my question, like every other individual that owns a rifle without any vision, I am in the market for some glass. What I have is a basic Remington 700 adl, heavy barrel .308. I added a leupold 2 piece base with the rings that bolt directly in. Now you all are probably shaking your head by now thinking "oh boy here we go again" but I honestly just can't decide what to get. The requirements of my scope are fairly basic and more important, simple. I'm looking for something in the $300-350 range with a 1in tube, nice crosshairs, repeatable adjustments, adjustable objective, and as much clarity as humanly possible. I don't see the need for more than a 14x magnification for my setup but am very open to hear any suggestions. The uses for the rifle will be fairly basic as well. Basically I just want it to be a handy "do anything" kind of rifle. I don't plan on doing much else to the rifle's action or stock and am most likely going to keep it factory for the majority of its life. With that being said long term repeated use, mostly target shooting(non-competitive) and a packing for those long days in the woods would be a primary use, with potential for medium to long range capabilities 400-600yds.Any help would be appreciated, like I said "bells and whistles" is not the style nor the functionality I want from this optic... American made is always a plus too! I'm not quite sure I need an adjustable objective but it is one option that intrigues me. Any insight on its functioning and purpose would also be greatly appreciated

2. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

You may need to up your ante a little.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

They are already sold out but if you go up some they are $299 for the scope alone and not rehabs. Optics Planet sells them for $299 including shipping.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  4. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Yes...and CameraLand has these for $219.00, I've read good reviews on them. (Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 AO)

5. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I would look at Weaver V16 Classic(4-16x42A/O). Great scope for around $300, along with Burris FullfieldII. Might want to also check out Mueller or Sightron. They also have great Customer Service.
    Del

6. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Yes..the 4X would be far more useful than the 8X in the Vortex.

7. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Take a look at the Swift Premier line of riflescopes. They have very good glass at reasonable prices. Shop the internet for the best deals.

http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/rscopes1.html

I have the SPR676 4-12x40 on one of my bolt actions, and have been very pleased with its performance.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i am with treehugger on this one. the Swift Premier scopes are great scopes as i have two of them, one in 6-24x50 and a 8-32x50. i had never heard of them until about two years ago, when my gun dealer suggested one for my 7mm-08, well i was a bit aprehensive at first, but have to admit, they are a great scope for the price. would i buy another one? yes! give one a try, you won't regret it.

9. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Swift has been around for many years...great optics.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

true, but i had never heard of them until about two years ago. after buying a couple of their scopes, i wished i found out about them earlier.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You can buy a Crossfire 6-24x50 at SWFA for $99. I have seen the 8-32x50 for $119 on another site. He does not need more than a 4-14x.

12. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Yes..I said that in the 7th post down. And that's cheap!