Yet another noobie AR build :D

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ZombieKiller83, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Went to a local gun shop with the intentions of shopping for a 1911 but picked this stuff up instead:D
    [​IMG]

Decided to support the locals in New Hope, MN by purchasing an Ardel Engineering lower receiver. Picked up a Command Arms butt stock/buffer set-up, DPMS lower parts kit and a Hogue pistol grip :cool:

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Sounds like a good start.
    :cool:

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Hate to be the one to break the bad news but you can't build a 1911 with that stuff...they really saw you coming. :D

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Looks great. I've used those DPMS LPKs on my last couple of builds and they have been great.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

5. ZombieKiller83

Alright i've run into some issues 1. launched the bolt catch roll pin haha she's gone 2. Front pivot pin is either too big or the hole is too small :confused: 3. Not quite sure if this is normal but when the hammer is down, selector will not go into safe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Either way probably gonna have to buy another parts kit any thoughts?

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It's normal that the hammer has to be cocked before you can move the selector to safe. And of course don't let it drop without catching it with your thumb.

Does the pivot pin go in ok on the other side?

You can buy small parts cheap but then the shipping usually gets you. Might be best just to get another LPK since the spares are real handy. I keep a spare LPK.

7. ZombieKiller83

Ok thanks haha just wanted to make sure that was normal. The pivot pin is to big for either side but its weird cuz the take-down pin fit perfect:confused: Are the pins supposed to be different sizes or is it possible i got an incorrect pin with my kit?

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

May have gotten an out of spec pin or the lower itself may be out of spec. There are really only 2 possible sizes for an AR lower, the Colt large pin receivers, rare these days, and standard mil spec lowers...all AR parts are designed to be interchangeable.

Are you sure it doesn't fit or is it just very snug? Sometimes the holes get overcoated with the finish and appear to be too small, might be worth a try to see if you can gently spin the pin into the hole, a light coating of oil might help. It's not uncommon for the pins to be snug when first inserted.

Of course try this without the detent and spring at first so you don't have to struggle with them, that detent is hands down the most ball busting part of the build...aside from the bolt catch roll pin but you discovered that already...:D

9. ZombieKiller83

Yeah i just rechecked it, put it up next to the take down pin and it is very easy to see that the diameter of the pin is indeed larger. I have got to order another parts kit anyways so im gonna cross my fingers that i get the correct pin. And just for reference i put the take down pin in the pivot pin hole and it fit perfect minus being too short for obvious reasons. My guess would be it was just a little mix up in the packaging department but other than that the other parts fit great and it's even got a decent trigger pull :D

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Wait til you take one to the face. It's like the gunsmith money shot. :eek:

Any thoughts on what you are going to do for an upper?

11. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

12. ZombieKiller83

I'm thinking either a Stag upper or Daniel Defense but have not written off Del-ton either. Gonna go with the 16" barrel for my first one, definately want a 5.56 barrel. Would the 1:9 twist be the best option?
    Thanks man! Gonna order the pin kit hopefully on Friday:cool: Appreciate all the help guys! So here's something weird, The Command Arms stock kit claims it is six way adjustable BUT it's not and it has the Smith & Wesson logo on it??? But it is sturdy with no wobble which to me is a definite plus!

13. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Good on ya for doing your own build.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hey, just go to the local shop where you bought the LPK and show them the pivot pin. I bet DPMS accidentally put their AR-10 style pin in that kit. I got an ArmaLite kit with an AR-10 pivot pin and they sent me the proper one. Since whoever assembled that kit was asleep at the wheel you might as well tell them the detent was missing too. Since it's a bum kit it has to go back to DPMS anyway unless they just give you the parts.

If the shop won't take care of it, DPMS will mail you the pin and detent for free.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  15. ZombieKiller83

Pin kit is ordered and on the way :D BTW in case any of you don't know, avoid https://jsgunparts.com like the plague! Ordered a bunch of stuff from them 3-31-11, and they still have not shipped it, let alone billed it even. Oh and did i mention their communication is slow and very vague.. Emailed them after two weeks of no show and all i got back was "Sorry for the delay, i hope to ship this week".... That was last week:mad:

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I got a Daniel Defense midlength upper earlier this year and can highly recommend them. It's 1:7" which is best if you'll be using 55-75gr ammo. 1:9 for 69 and under.

Interesting you got a S&W slider on CAA. I thought CAA was commercial diameter and I know S&W is milspec dia. That would definitely make for a snug fit - it's not too tight is it. Is the receiver extension drilled for four holes not six? If so it's probably milspec. Definitely weird mix of parts you got there!

17. ZombieKiller83

Still gonna call them and see if i can get those two replaced(never hurts to have spare parts) but i ended up finding these Ar - 15 Receiver Pins, Shooting Accessories, Tactical Supply Depo at Sportsman's Guide could care less about the graphics but like the idea of being able to pull them out with my fingers. I've heard nothing but great things about DPMS customer service so i have no doubt they will take care of it. The shop i got the parts from is about an hour away haha so i'll just deal with DPMS directly on this. The only other shop locally(about a ten minute drive) that sells AR parts only sells completed lowers and his pricing was quite high.

18. ZombieKiller83

Actually it's really weird cuz there are no holes drilled and it does not slide but the guy gave me a good deal on it so i'm not going to complain. If it turns out i don't like it can always replace it but so far im loving how solid it is:)

19. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations and good luck with your build. :cool:

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The S&W slider does not slide on your RE and there are no holes drilled in the bottom of RE (tube)? MN isn't a ban state, right? Cause you'd expect 4-6 holes drilled in a non-ban RE.

You want to get a proper RE that allows stock length adjustment. It sounds like you've got a milspec stock wedged on a commercial tube.

ETA:
    Sorry to say but this whole buy is sounding screwier and screwier. Don't know about this dealer.

And be careful about building a FrankenAR monster. Use quality parts and that won't happen.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011