Yesterday's Catch

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by alsaqr, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

alsaqr and primer1 like this.
  2. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, the state of Florida has a huge python problem. Pythons have killed most of the animals in the Everglades. But, like any bureaucracy, they have restricted the hunting of pythons. Yep, the bureaucrats have doubled the number of authorized python hunters from 25 to 50. They need 500 authorized python hunters.

So the Florida Feds teamed up and caught 5,000 pythons. Makes for a great "look what your government is doing for you piece".

i've long watched the fish and game biologists and their response to the feral hog problem. You would think that other states would emulate those few states whose wildlife departments have had some success with wild hogs. But government bureaucracies don't work that way.

i have access to lots of hog hunting lands. Most folks are not so lucky. Outside of deer season the only legal weapons for hunting wild hogs in OK WMAs are rimfire rifles and shotguns with small shot. Even muzzleloaders are outlawed outside of deer season.

Then the bureaucrats hire helicopters at great expense and shoot hogs. BTW: Hogs are wising up in some places where they are hunted from helicopters. They stay put when the chopper comes over.

Gator is right: "The snakes are winning the race".

primer1 likes this.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

My new deer lease in GA has some hogs on it, fortunately GA allows hogs on private land to be taken with centerfire rifles, even at night with a light. Some folks use night vision and suppressed rifles. I may get set up myself. The farmer landowner appreciates every hog taken out.

FL takes pretty much the same approach as GA on private land.

Hogs on state managed land may only be taken during an open season, deer, small game, etc. Some state lands have special hog only hunts.

alsaqr likes this.
  4. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Deleted-duplicate

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Here in the Mountains of Central TN. we have recently been invaded by wild Hogs. Since they can seemingly breed twice a year and have up around 8 piglets. They can populate very quickly with each Sow producing young. I have shot 7 since the middle of last year and my neighbor about a mile a way has shot 9 or 10. Two weeks ago he had 10 in his back yard one evening. But did not get to his rifle in time before they left.
    But yesterday, we were advised that the TWRA Officers trapped 14 of them up on the Ridge. Shot them and berried them! That is a good thing! Last week I shot one in my Front Yard with my 6.5 Grendel using the Thermal Unit at 4:30am. One less Pig!
    I have a Tennessee Night Hunting Permit! Which one must have to use lights, night vision or thermal after dark. The permits are free one just needs to contact the TWRA HQ Office in Tennessee.

alsaqr and Rifling82 like this.