Yesterday's Catch

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by alsaqr, Mar 9, 2020.

1. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Two hogs were in our traps yesterday morning.

This 225-250 pound sow resembled a boar as i approached the trap. That fat sow was taken to a friends home where it was skinned and field dressed. He delivered the carcass to the butcher shop this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This 175-200 pound boar was in another trap. He was left for the coyotes.

[​IMG]

2. RKtullahoma

RKtullahoma Well-Known Member Supporter

Is your location not coyote overrun?

towboater likes this.

3. Lyle_Savant

Lyle_Savant New Member

Way to go!!

alsaqr likes this.
  4. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Any virtue in keeping them penned worming and feeding them corn, soy and clover, or finish feeding them, like some operations featured a while back on TV. Mostly the young ones were the preferred for that though. Our Ancestors let their hogs roam and feed on the vast acorn crops etc and ten rounded them up in the fall for processing. The bears and cats and wolves kept them from spreading like these today.

alsaqr likes this.
  5. alsaqr

i won't do that. Living hogs don't leave my traps.

Yes, they did. Chestnuts were high on hogs preferred foods list. Arguably chestnut was the best wood in the USA, sadly the blight killed all the trees. My Dad said chestnut fattened pork was the best.

towboater likes this.
  6. Adam 2

Adam 2 Well-Known Member

Just curious, since I know nothing about wild hogs, is boar meat not edible.

7. alsaqr

Contrary to popular myth, the meat of boar hogs is good. Today my neighbor stated that the sausage and chops from the last 250 pound boar i had processed were great.

Adam 2 likes this.
  8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Meat from old boars can have very strong odor when cooked.

Young hogs male & female, plus sows can make good table fare.

@tinbucket my brother used to trap hogs, castrate the boars, fatten them up and make some of the best smoked sausage I ever ate.

Back in the old days it was not unusual for folks in Florida to catch young boars, castrate them and release them and allow them to grow and fatten in hopes of catching them again in the future after they had grown and fattened up. Also, a barrow had no reason to fight other males to breed, so their tusks grew longer due to not being broken off fighting. A barrow with 3 - 4 inch tusks was worth a lot of money to be made selling hogs to folks running canned hog hunts that advertised in the back pages of Field & Stream, Sports Afield, etc.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Adam 2 and towboater like this.
  9. alsaqr

For many years my Dad ran the WV Dep't of Agriculture hog farm. Yep, domestic boars often have an affliction called "boar taint": It comes from laying around and getting excessively fat. The meat of old domestic boar was often used to make pepperoni.

Having killed and trapped a couple hundred wild boars, none we butchered ever had tainted meat. Yep, they often stink but the smell is on the outside. Wild boars have a hard scrabble life compared to their domestic counterparts. Largest wild boar i ever shot weighed 384 pounds. A local couple took that hog whole and made some of the best stuff imaginable. About once each year they want one huge hog, sex optional.

Hog meat is not like beef, it ain't improved by "hanging": It rots. i hunt hogs year around. When the temperature is over 80 degrees one has about four hours to get the meat cooled before it begins to go bad.

For 20 years i've watched guys kill hogs, haul them around intact in 100 degree F weather, contaminate the meat with contents of the innards and with urine, allow the hide to contact the meat while skinning, etc. Then they wondered why the meat was bad.

In 2008 i killed a fat sow that field dressed 212 pounds. Gave it to a friend. When the meat came back from the processor he claimed it was "bad". Told him to bring some sausage. The stuff stank while frying, it was rotten. The processor let the carcass hang in his cooler for 17 days and processed a rotten hog. That idiot did the same thing with several elk and was ran out of business by a couple irate hunters bent on kicking his butt.

IME: Smelly, bad tasting wild hog meat is rotten and/or contaminated hog meat.

towboater likes this.
  10. tinbucket

Ancestors in VA, Ky and Tn the Gap area lower middle Tn and in Arkansas did the same. I'm not up on all the ways they used they kept tack of free ranging hogs, but I know they lost some to a lot of bears and cougars and jaguars, yes jaguars, and wolves, not red wolves, and Indians the period of mid to late 1700ss til about 1830s perhaps bit later.. That from trying to research ancestors. I haven't seen on TV for some time the accounts in mostly Texas, I think of Ranchers and those they let cull the hogs catching large numbers of them, selling for short feed and slaughter the older ones, I think it was to Europe. The younger ones were penned nd raise to slaughter. One Individual caught thousand in total and made 6 figure income for several years.
    Oklahoma and Texas as well as other states have "Ranchers" hunt operators charging huge sums to shoot pigs on their property...that breed and devistate the neighbors crops and cattle grazing and deer all wildlife. I have forgotten the numbers they estimated that infested those states but it is huge. They holler in the state capitol for funds to compensate them while all the time fostering the situation and making i hugely worse.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  11. alsaqr

The wild hog situation in Oklahoma has changed in the past few years. Wild hogs, an invasive species, come under the auspices of the OK Department of Agriculture.

Previously hog doggers and others were releasing hogs at will. Many of the hogs we hunted and trapped on our lease looked like dirty show pigs, they were obviously bought at stock sales and turned loose. After several perps were charged with felonies that stuff stopped.

1. No additional hog hunting ranches will be licensed.

2. Clients of hog hunting ranches must buy a $25 license.

3. Hog trappers must be licensed to transport wild hogs.

3. Licensed hog transporters must obtain a a transport permit good for 24 hours.

The Oklahoma Feral Swine Control Act.

https://oda.state.ok.us/ais/rules-feralswine.pdf

Last winter i went after small pigs on our Garvin county property, killed 40-50 of the little suckers.

There is still an abundance of hogs:

[​IMG]

towboater likes this.
  12. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

why rural folk need an AR rifle:

check out the abject stupidity shown in the coment section, as usual

I wonder how many people have no clue of the true nature and sheer quantity of these rustlers?

towboater likes this.
  13. tinbucket

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  14. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I don’t think we have any feral hogs in Tulsa County.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Winds, Go to the smorgasbord restaurants and you will find some.

alsaqr likes this.
  17. alsaqr

Yeah, the writer got part of it right. It's impossible to control the wild hog population using conventional methods. Yep, the electronically controlled traps are just great but they cost $6000-$10,000.

i know a rancher who owns 1.5 miles on the north side of the Red River. He hired a trapper who caught 1,500 hogs off the place in about 30 days. Within one month the hogs were as numerous as before the trapping.

Hunting wild hogs from helicopters using shotguns is a non getter. Too many hogs are wounded and crawl off to die. Few years ago i chatted with a federal game warden who killed 80 hogs in about one hour from a helicopter using a scoped AR-15 rifle. BTW: Wild hogs are wising up and sometimes refuse to break cover when the helicopter comes overhead.

IMO: The author of that article is a dyed in the wool bureaucrat of the "only the government can solve the problem" school. Example: Denying hunters the ability to take hogs on OK WMAs accomplishes nothing.

Couple days ago i killed 17 wild hogs, mostly small pigs, at a feeder on our place near Elmore City. Used a Savage over under in .22 Hornet and 20 gauge shotgun using #4 buckshot. One of the hogs was a huge pregnant sow.

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like a war against the hogs that we can’t win.

19. alsaqr

The gentleman who wrote that article never mentioned the single most important factor influencing the population of wild hogs in Oklahoma, neither did i.

Wild hogs are proliferating in Oklahoma and Texas because deer hunters are feeding wild hogs. Baiting deer is legal in both OK and TX. Many folks run feeders year around all the while raising wild hogs.

i stopped feeding wild hogs years ago. A 24" high fence will keep 90 percent of wild hogs from the feeder. A fence of 35" pig panel will keep all the wild hogs out. This fence is cut back to 28 inches in two places to allow fawns to jump in.

[​IMG]

Two large boars got in there because i allowed the concrete block that helps get my old butt over the fence to lie against the panel. Both hogs paid dearly.

Sniper03, primer1 and Gatoragn like this.
  20. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

if you want to see human nature at work, find a youtube video about hog or coyote hunting

90+ percent of visitors talk about good marksmanship, ethical killing, or the phenomenal quantity of dogs and hogs. the rest are appalled! that people find it amusing that Gods creatures are being killed, and both hunters and commenters enjoy it.

If someone points out the prodigious numbers of dogs, and the alarming number of cows lying dead with a dog pack munching on their innards, they launch spurious arguments about shut down all ranching and go vegan.

some people won't face facts when there is nothing else to see.

primer1 and alsaqr like this.