Yep another scope thread

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Commocarl, May 7, 2013.

1. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I am still really hesitant about putting a scope on my Mini. I have swapped the rear sight with a tech-sight for easier adjustment and have been bringing myself back up to speed with iron sights. I have also played around with a cheap red dot and from what I have seen it is a pretty nice addition, unlike (IMO) a laser.

I, like many of you, have achieved an age where my eyes aren't working as well for me. So a scope is starting to sound really good for +75 yards. I have an amega rail on my mini, so I have scout mounted the red dot, when I use it.

I want a lower power adjustable scope. In the perfect world I would love a 1-4 with a very long eye relief. My idea is to scout mount the scope and keep it on 1 for 50 yards or less (both eyes open), then dial it up for longer ranges.

As you guys have more experience than I in this I thought I would ask your opinion on the matter. The closest I have seen to a scope I just described is:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bush-rs-bnr-711436.html

it has a 6 inch eye relief.

Your comments are most appreciated.

2. tri70

tri70 New Member

I have used a pistol scope on a TC Contender, it took a little more effort to steady but it did have a real long eye relief. You might see if you can find one you can get a feel for the longer relief.

I am fortunate to have stores with mounted scopes to feel and check eye relief.

3. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i have a redfield revolution 2-7 and i think it is a GREAT scope for the price!

i have heard weaver has a nice 1-4, but i don't have personal experience with it.

4. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I really like the price on the one I posted, hoping someone here has experience with it, or one like it before I pull the trigger (so to speak).

Also want to make sure what I am looking to do is practical, and not tacticool.

Thanks

5. hawkguy

my bad. guess i should read, instead of skim? :)

6. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Boy, this forum has slowed way down since the ammo shortage, hasn't it?

7. tri70

tri70 New Member

8. tri70

tri70 New Member

9. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I have 3X-9X which mostly stays on 6X. ( it's what I had.) My bud put fixed 4X on his and it's nice. Leupold makes great stuff but you will pay for it.

Optics are a game changer for old eyes.

10. hawkguy

not much to talk about, cept maybe my guns collecting dust for the last few months. :mad:

maybe if ammo is back and reasonable by late summer, we can start up another shooting challenge?

11. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Guess yall will lol at mine but I love it 4x16x40

Attached Files:

12. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

If you are happy with it. don't worry about other people. Mini enthusiasts have pretty thick skin (and hard heads).

It is a wonderful platform to try damn near anything, and not break the bank doing it.

13. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I broke into my stash recently to go shooting and was picking up where I left off.

.223 is looking good, as far as a pretty quick rebound. The .22lr situation, however, makes this grown man want to shed a tear.

14. hawkguy

no doubt, whatever anyone says, i don't think anyone saw this 22 shortage coming! i just got my 10/22 to start enjoying shooting on the cheap....:mad:

i haven't has much luck with 223, just buy whatever you can in quanties of 1-3 boxes here. its a good day when you find some! not many good days around here in that regard. you can get it at the range, but the price will be 60-80 cents a pop...at least.

i'll pass....and wait....and try and decide if my next investment will be a new handgun OR a crossbow...:p

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I beg to differ. ;)

I saw it in september when chances were the carpet baggers would win the white house.
    [​IMG]

16. hawkguy

good for you! not the first person i met smarter than myself! :p

wanna sell some....i'm offering up to 8 cents a round! :D

17. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

18. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

19. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Nice Anna I wana come shoot with you lol

20. sandog

sandog Member

A 2-7x is about the largest scope I'd put on a Mini. Anything larger spoils the feel, looks and handling of such a compact carbine. 7x is plenty for longer range shots, and 2x on the lower end isn't bad for close up. The Redfield Revolution is a nice little scope, I put one with the Accu range reticle on my CZ Scout .22. If you are looking for a good yet affordable long eye relief 2-7x, the Leatherwood scout scope is nice,I used one on my Ruger Gunsite .308. For a over the receiver mount, the Leupold Mark Ar 1.5-4x with Green FireDot is a good one, currently what I have on my AR.