Firearms Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured as a new gun owner, now would be a good a time as any to join a community about firearms.

I can't really say I've been around guns much, but thanks to my fiance's family, I've gotten a quick crash course in handling them, and found recreational shooting to be well...recreational. In a recent trip out to their farm, I got to shoot off a few hundred rounds from various firearms including a few .22 rifles, an old 38 special S&W revolver, a .410 shotgun, and a 12 gauge shotgun among other things. Given that I enjoyed myself, and shockingly so did my fiance, we decided to purchase a pair for our home. I picked up a new Rossi 97104 revolver and some 38 special ammo (don't know that I'm ready for 357s just yet...), and a Beretta Neos for the lady (since it comes in pink, which was a stipulation).

With a NRA range a whopping two miles away from our apartment, we should have some good times, as well as respectable instruction on our new firearms. Thus ends my story.

·
Banned
6,964 Posts
Welcome, Steve. (Good catch finding a fiance who also appreciates firearms!)

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Welcome to the Firearm's Owning family. I too have a similiar problem. I had to get my finacee' her own 1911 after she shot mine and it now has pink custom grips on it... LOL It's ugly, but it's hers...

JD

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, as a follow-up, I hit the range for the first time with the Rossi...and I sucked (not a big shock).

Given that my expected maximum "potential use" of the gun is limited to 25-30 feet, I figured I'd stick with that distance at the range. I didn't expect the challenge I got though. With single action, I could definitely connect with the target effectively enough (although I was shooting too low, something I can correct next time). But firing in double action, I missed with entire cylinders at 30 feet.

Obviously I plan to work on it, and next month plan to take an NRA basic pistol course among other things, but I'm curious how much some of the pros sucked it up when they first started and if there is any hope for me.

As a side note, I'd say we both did reasonably for beginners at 50 feet with the Neos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts