Yeah, another first builder.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Kenney, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Kenney

Kenney New Member

You've probably all heard this before, but I'm building my first AR15, so let me apologize in advance. I'm interested in a precision type with a emphasis on minimizing size and using as many polymer parts as possible to keep weight down. Outside of that, a 1911 style grip and using the standard 5.56 caliber are my only preferences. I know all fashions of pistols, but rifle...not so much, so I need some help on picking brands. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Since u wanted to minimize weight.. which means u will be using polymer lower then? In that case you should check out New Frontier Armory poly lower. Some places sell about $50-80 each stripped. Or $99 for complete lower. I personally haven't had any experiences with poly lower.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Skip the poly lower your talking about a couple oz. difference. Sights , mags, etc are fine for poly but not main components. JMHO.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sounds like you should look at building an AR pistol!

5. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Skip poly receiver, right. This I know is kind of a day dream, but do they make 1911 style trigger receivers, preferably where it can accept drop ins? If not, could you direct me on which lower and upper I should look into? I barely recognize any of the brands.

6. Kenney

Kenney New Member

That depends, I'm in Georgia so how much red tape am I going to have to wade through, and can I still use the 5.56 round?

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

In GA it should be like buying any other pistol. Of course no shoulder stock on it. Yes you can use 5.56.

8. Kenney

Kenney New Member

I'm using this for rifle purposes, but I have to carry it about 4 miles, which is why I'm needing it small and light. Any thoughts?

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well get a pencil profile barrel, you can get the basic rifle down around six pounds with that and other LW parts. Of course with sights, optic and sling you'll gain a pound. A full mag adds another.

10. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Do you know a fully assembled upper and a lower with out the pistol grip and buttstock? I got ideas for those two. Preferably one with as rail.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

An assembled upper and stripped lower is commonplace. Add what you want to the lower.

12. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Do brands particularly matter with AR15s? With pistols they're make or break, but again, I'm new at rifles with some exceptions.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think they matter, others don't.

I think it's time for you to spend a couple hours digesting Agent Tikki's AR Primer sticky.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Get a good sling and be done with it as far as carrying it go. ;)

Unless you are anemic, on your death bed or 98 pounds dripping weight a good weight bearing sling can negate the "weight" of the rifle itself. Certainly if you are in shape to hike 4 miles off road, in woodland or hilly conditions, strapping an AR across your back isn't going to seriously hamper your progress.

As far as "models" go - yes, there is a difference. If you were assembling yourself I would say a receiver is a receiver and just stock it with quality parts, but to purchase, yes, the company is of concern.

Apparently the common wind is that BCM is the best brand for your money on the market right now. I happen to believe that you can build one just as good and learn a lot about maintenance in the process, but to each his own.

Good luck.

JD

15. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

If you have all the proper tools you can assemble a lower that will closely resemble the quality of a factory assembly.

Q gave some good advice, get a light weight profiled barrel.

16. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Great, now I'm thinking bull barrel because of how trigger happy I tend to get and I don't want to warp the barrel. I guess as long as I keep the rest polymer I won't kill myself.

17. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

hmm do some research first man you cant have your cake and eat it too. take the advice of the above members they wont steer you wrong.

polymer lower and a heavy barrel is going to be the most unbalanced gun ever and would probably be more awkward to carry as all the weight is at the end of the gun instead of balanced in the centre

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good advice, homelessguy.

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yeah your all over the map on this one....... start by figuring out what kind of barrel you want. Build around it.

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I also started with pistols and moved to rifles, I think you will soon find out why hand guns are considered secondaries and rifles/carbines are primaries. Don't worry about the ergos on the AR15 with just a little time they will become second nature. A standard 16" configuration is plenty accurate and capable (if you do your part) to over 300 yards. No not 300 feet, 300 yards. Iron sights. Unmagnified.

If you want to go further, or do itty bitty groups consider magnified optics. If you want to precision shoot all day long go for a heavier profile barrel. If you want to sacrifice a little reliability for a little more precision get a Wylde chambered barrel. If you want use long distance match grade bullet's consider a faster twist barrel (1x7 or 1x8). If you want to use smaller lighter varmint bullets consider a slower twist rate. If you want to have a good all around gun, a sort of jack of all trades, get a 16" medium or light contour barrel. If you want a to push farther and need a bit more velocity, consider 18, 20, or 24 inch barrels.

You have a lot of choices to make. Read up a little bit and try and figure out what's best for you. I'd recommend a 16" as your first AR because believe you me, its won't be your last.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012