Yard Sale

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Rick1967, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Anybody ever sell guns at yard sales? I have a couple of guns I was thinking of getting rid of to reinvest the money into another gun. I have seen guns at yard sales in my area. And they never last long. I would of course check IDs and write down the numbers. What do you guys and ladies think? My wife is having a yard sale in the morning. I'm just thinking about it at this point.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I highly doubt that you will get what the firearms are worth. I would put them on an auction site first (or sell them here).

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've seen a couple at yard sales but they were all junk. What are you trying to get rid of?

4. Rick1967

Actually my wife called me at work a couple of weeks ago. She told me that she saw a few guns at a yard sale. He had 2 revolvers and a rifle. One of the revolers was a 45 Colt. She throught it was a real Colt. It was not. The seller told me when I arrived about an hour later. He had sold all three guns in less than an hour. The 45 went for $500. I don't remember the brand. But it was not a Colt.

5. freefall

freefall New Member

Sometimes you can get more for things at yard sales than you could among a crowd who know what they're looking at and for. Price it over $100 more than you want for it, come down $50 and let them think they got a deal.

6. Rick1967

I have a Smith and Wesson DA 38. I have shot it a couple of times. I hand load 38 black powder cases for it. I am also thinking of selling my Colt 1917 Army. The Colt I like. But I only paid $275.00 for it. My book says in good condition its worth $695.00. Mine might not be truly "Good". But, I feel I could get a lot more than $275.00 for it. I am thinking $550. Maybe $500.

I also have several gun value books to show people with good pictures of the guns in question.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I could have fun with those weapons.

8. Rick1967

I actually bought the Colt out of my own ignorance. The stooge working at Cabelas told me it shot 45 Long Colt. I should have done more research. I had never seen one before. I simply did a Google on the model and found one for sale at another Cabelas for $1500.00 It was nicer than mine of course. I figured I could make money on it later.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

What book is that? What's the name of the book. Would like to gaze through one myself. Thanks!

10. Rick1967

Ther book is book is "The Gun Digest" Modern Gun Values 15th Edition. It is this years edition.

Page 125 lists the 1917 Army at EXC. $1550 VGOOD $900 GOOD $695

I can't believe it. I sold both guns already. I got $500 for the 1917. I only paid $275 for it about a month ago!!!

11. fireguy

fireguy New Member

My wife was yard saling yesterday and told me about a couple of shotguns that were she saw. She couldn't do it when she was at the place, it was an hour later. Didn't know what kind, or any specifics. Could have been a deal. She did get me two 50 cal ammo cans from the same place.

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Don't think I go this route. I'd be concerned about thieves scoping my property and knowing I'm a gun guy.

TACK

13. Rick1967

I know what you mean. That is why I only put out a couple of guns. I kept my garage door shut. That is also why I have invested in a real safe.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Personally, I'm not a real fan of FTF sales.

I just prefer the FFL middleman. I'd hate to be the

guy selling the gun that finds it's way to a NJ crackhouse,

or winds up in the hands of some deranged nut-ball...

Sure, it's an inconvenient step, and IMO, none of the

ATF's business, but how would you feel if you found out

later that you sold a gun that wound up being used

for a crime?

It reflects badly on all of us.

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Every sale on the FTF that I have been in on has had an FFL dealer involved (me).

16. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I don't sell any of my guns so I don't have to worry what happens to one after an FTF transfer, but FTF is the my preferred way to buy guns. Assuming the seller doesn't require any info from me, cause that's the whole point of my buying a used gun. ;)

17. Rick1967

Actually the guy that bought my guns had a concealled carry permit. So I know he was legal. Plus he already had a 45 on his hip. I don't think too many gangsters are carrying antiques anyway.

18. m72law

m72law New Member

i have sold 1 8mm mauser k98 sporter a few years back when my parents had a yard sale...the guy was an older gent. 70-up & didnt look like he would go out commit any crimes.he got a pretty good deal-80bucks:eek:but i had to have the cash to buy a 1300winchester denfender @ the time:)

i dont see nuttin wrong with selling or buying any type of firearms to any private party, just as long as you use your brain.(know who your selling to)i have had 01,02 FFL guys tell me how illegal it is to sell or buy ANY! type of firearm from a non FFL holder????as long as im not doing alot of firearm sales out of the trunk of my eldorado to a bunch of joey buttafuoco's i would think im alright selling one or two,if i want to.but i really dont like selling any of my firearms...im always on the look to buy!

i hate i sold the rifle but i learned to live without it...i did how ever over the weekend stopped at a yardsale & purchased a single shot 22 stevens 15-A for 20bucks:D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011