yard masters and small acreage owners

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mack Bolan, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

now that I have a small yard to keep after, I'm in the market for a lawn mower. Less than half an acre so I'm leaning towards a basic push mower, but I was curious what some on this board might recommend as far as make and model in terms of reliability, performance and lasting power...I grew up using a Toro, but it seems like there is much more to choose from these days...I've been eyeing a craftsman model, but have yet to make a final decision and purchase anything....and the grass will need clipping in the next two weeks for sure...

2. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I'm partial to Lawnboy mowers, 2 strokes reliable as heck. My dad had a lawncare business in the mid 70's we used Lawnboys and the International Harvester labeled version of the Lawnboy. Had a Lawnboy to supplement my riding mower in the 90's and right up till I moved to Missouri from Florida.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've always leaned toward Briggs and Stratton engines. They may not be the absolute most reliable, but I've had great experiences with them, and they're just so darn common that I've found spare parts on the side of the road.

4. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I'll take Briggs & Stratton engines over a Tecumseh engine any day, before my dad's lawncare business went to Lawnboys he bought a Tecumseh powered push mower it blew 2 engines in less than 2 weeks.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

A tecumseh doesn't even deserve a capital letter at the front. See what I did there? ;)

They are truly the most terrible, crappiest piece of crap ever. Good for nothing but boat anchors.

Come to think of it, I've never seen one run for more than just a few minutes, even brand new.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Most reliable mower I ever had was a corded electric model; it always started right up.

7. rurak

rurak New Member

Honda engines ..... nuff said

8. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Here we go, bad mouthing the indians again...........a few bad apples, just like the rest of the small engine makers...........;)

9. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

10. towboater

towboater Active Member

Hard to beat a Briggs. A Honda just might do it though.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as a lot of out equipment has both Briggs and Honda engines on them, i do less repairs on the Honda engines than the Briggs engines. these are on rental equipment, so they get very much abused daily.

IMO, the Briggs are good, but the Honda's are better. if given a choice and prices being equal or close to equal, go with the Honda.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

The deal for me is, I haven't seen equal or close to equal prices, and the only repair I've seen done to a Honda (needed a float), the part had to be ordered, which took 3 weeks or so. But, that's only ONE repair. Granted, I've only known one person with a Honda mower... ;)

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Snapper 28 in. cut, 8 HP Briggs, have had it for almost 30 years. You can`t go wrong getting a Snapper..............

Attached Files:

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

damn 303! you could at least give it a paintjob! i think after 30 years it deserves one!:D

15. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I bought one with a Honda engine. Used it for one season, went to change the oil and, wtf, no oil drain plug... Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Mack,

Maybe this will also give you an idea! I have a rather large area to mow of about 4 acres. But my wife kept telling me she wanted to help in the yard as far as trimming and small areas that are hard to get to with my 60" Lexmark. So since I was out of town I advised her to go get something nice for her birthday! When I got home she asked me to go to the storage barn and see what she got! I about had a coronary thinking what she would buy that had to be down in the storage barn and work shop! She had bought her a Troy Built Self propelled auto start push type mower. She loves the mower. It does a great job and is so easy a small child could use it.

17. racer_x

racer_x New Member

For what little your mowing OP id go with a craftsman
    I use 2 xmarks ana john deer Kawis an brigs my fields get the bush hog

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

NAA, all it ever gets is greased & the oil changed, it has already lasted longer than I thought it would when I bought it used, the only thing I have ever done to it is. I have changed the Driven Disk about ten times I think.............

19. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

nice work gentlemen! thanks for all the excellent advice and replies!

I'll report back after I purchase the new toy.:)

20. willshoum

willshoum New Member

lol..............

i had one like that, i called it a working mower, every time i wanted to cut the grass, I had to work on the mower...........:mad: